Bullet numbering

PDA

crooked stripe
December 26, 2011, 11:17 AM
I read a lot of articles and short clips with reloading data and many people just give bullet numbers. I have also seen this in all my reloading manuals. Where might I find a list of these numbers that also gives just a small detail of the bullet. Are the numbers given to bullets by each individual bullet company? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet numbering" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RandyP
December 26, 2011, 11:27 AM
The various bullet manufacturers like Hornady and Sierra assign model numbers/letters to their inventory. The company websites will have all the info you might want. Often loads are developed around these specific bullets so the published load test data specifies them.

Many other loads simply reference the weight and shape of the various lead, plated or FMJ rounds. For example my Berry 124gr RNDS plated 9mm ammo. RN = Round Nose , DS = Double Struck (their manufacturing process)- indicating the shape of the bullet and 124gr being the weight. A quick Googling will provide you with a list of these abbreviations and their meaning. It should also be covered in most reloading manuals.

rcmodel
December 26, 2011, 12:27 PM
reloading data and many people just give bullet numbers.
As noted, bullet #'s are unique to the manufacture, like part numbers for your car.

The other numbers you often see are mold numbers for cast bullets.
For instance, almost every revolver reloader probably knows a 429421 is the ledgendary Keith 250 grain SWC for the .44 Spl & .44 Mag..
The 358429 is the Keith bullet in .38/.357 cal.

Lyman #9 or the Lyman Cast bullet Handbook shows drawings of each cast bullet & the mold number. Also a very wide selection of jacketed bullet #'s from different manufactures.

RCBS molds, and Lee molds use a different numbering system then Lyman molds.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet numbering" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!