Why does one mini14 feel heavier than another?

PDA

elano
December 28, 2011, 01:53 AM
I was in a pawn shop earlier and was having trouble deciding between 2 different mini 14s.

Mini 14 Tactical (regular synthetic stock) 16" barrel + flash supressor - new
Mini 14 All weather same stock, had the new thicker 18" barrel - used

The tactical was new, the all weather was used, for some reason the tactical model felt slightly heavier, especially at the forearm when holding up to the shoulder. This is counter intuitive since the shorter model should feel lighter. The flash supressor could not weight that much. Is there a different metallurgy that could have been used? The longer one seemed to balance better.

I bought the tactical one because I liked the looks better, but now I'm thinking maybe I should go get the other one as well, but I'm wondering why it's lighter. Could this have something to do with the new one having a forged barrel and the used one not? The barrels both look the same diameter; both had 20 round mags. Thanks!

Here are the 2 rifles,

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww20/elano2000/rugermini.png

If you enjoyed reading about "Why does one mini14 feel heavier than another?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sixgunner455
December 28, 2011, 01:57 AM
Weigh them. Barrel profile needs measuring at the same distances from the receiver to see if they are really the same diameter/contour. Perhaps the stocks aren't exactly the same - you can't tell without taking the action out of the stock.

*shrug* I dunno.

Bill_Rights
December 28, 2011, 02:05 AM
For the Mini-30, it looks from Ruger's pictures here http://www.ruger.com/products/miniThirty/models.html that the tactical one has a thicker barrel all the way out to the flash-hider, while the ranch rifle versions' barrels narrow down right after the gas clamp. Maybe. I don't entirely trust those pictures. And not sure how it translates to the Mini-14.

elano
December 28, 2011, 03:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. I know it is a tough question without seeing them in person. I was just thinking maybe there was something I didn't know. I'm really debating picking up both!

LoonWulf
December 28, 2011, 04:51 AM
I handled both rifles side by side at sportsauthority when i bought my 581. The barrel profiles are pretty much the same so i dunno, my rifle all kitted out comes in at around 8lbs.

Magog
December 28, 2011, 12:43 PM
Man I would hate to be the dumb POS who sold a new MINI TAC at a pawn shop.

I love mine so much they are going to put it in my box with me when I am done for this world.

elano
December 28, 2011, 03:15 PM
Are all thicker barrelled minis hammer forged? Or was this something that was done to them later in production?

If you enjoyed reading about "Why does one mini14 feel heavier than another?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!