Staked in primers

PDA

bedford
December 29, 2011, 12:04 AM
I am looking at buying an AR in 308/7.62x51. When looking at some of the surplus ammo I see where the primers are staked. What if any is the procedure for prepping these cases for reloading? Oh, and any comments you have on your experiences with an AR10 would be appreciated.

thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Staked in primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cfullgraf
December 29, 2011, 12:10 AM
After the spent primer is removed, you remove the crimp. Otherwise it will be difficult or impossible to seat the new primer.

There are several methods to remove the crimp. There are primer pocket swagers and crimp remover reamers from various manufacturers.

Some folks just use a case mouth chamfer tool.

Do a search of the forum and you should find several threads discussing the various manufacturers and the benefits of each.

mstreddy
December 29, 2011, 10:36 AM
Some of the surplus .308/7.62x51 ammo I've seen with staked primers, 3 spoke like indentations surrounding the primer, are berdan primed, and basically much harder to reload. Some would call it unreloadable. So, before you start running them through your press for depriming check for the 2 offset flash holes and set them aside.

/Eddy

If you enjoyed reading about "Staked in primers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!