Got a new Rifle

PDA

grubbylabs
December 29, 2011, 12:27 AM
Well a month or so a go I bought a new marlin 45-70. I was pretty happy with the gun except how it looks. So I sent it to a local gun smith and this is what I got back. I really like how it looks now.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a new Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CmdrSlander
December 29, 2011, 12:29 AM
Classy, take good care of it and you have yourself a valuable heirloom.

Pat M
December 29, 2011, 12:33 AM
The other one in the photo.....is that a Marlin single-shot .22? Looks like one of the first rifles I ever fired. Had the same rust on the barrel too!

grubbylabs
December 29, 2011, 12:36 AM
Can't remember the name right off but it was my great grand fathers and it was made in Missouri. It is a single shot. Some one tried to strip the stock and I am not sure what to do about it.

BrocLuno
December 31, 2011, 12:35 AM
Nice 45-70, take care if it and it will last a lifetime :)

That old 22 - well I'd really strip the stock and use some Friebings leather die in dark brown to get some even color onto the wood, then a couple of coats of Helsman' satin spar varnish from a rattle can and you'll really like the loo & feel. The iron I'd be a bit more creative - wire bush it down and spray it with John Deere Muffler Black. It's rusted and pitted, there is not much you can do to get it real blue and have it look decent :(

The other choice is to bead blast it and then fill the imperfections with JB Weld and block sand it smooth with 400 grit. Then coat it with satin dark blue KG GunCoat which will look like a fine blue job, but it'll be a modern finish :)

Walkalong
December 31, 2011, 11:00 AM
Love the full length tube. Stock? Aftermarket?

grubbylabs
December 31, 2011, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the help and input on the other rifle. I hope that I can do it some justice.

As far as the Marlin goes, so far I am really happy and hope to be working up some loads for it soon. It is going to be a fine hunting companion while archery hunting in bear country.

788Ham
January 1, 2012, 01:51 AM
As far as the older .22, I'd suggest using 0000 steel wool and some good, light oil, rub the barrel and action VERY lightly. Don't rub hard enough to remove whats left of the bluing, just enough to remove the rust. Then get some Birch Wood Casey bluing and put a couple coats of that on it, then oil the metal to prevent anymore rusting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a new Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!