Interest in Gunsmithing

PDA

stonychavez
December 29, 2011, 01:03 AM
Hello all,

I am interested in getting into the art of Gunsmithing and just had some general questions as to how one may get started. I currently am a project coordinator for a private contracting company. I work from home and find myself with free time to pick up a hobby, or possible trade. I would love for this to be Gunsmithing. Are there any notable Gunsmithing schools in or around Austin, Texas? What are the chances of achieving a non-paid apprenticeship where I could learn hands-on from a professional? Are there things I can do to better my chances, or are there any tips some of you could give me? Anything would be appreciated!

If you enjoyed reading about "Interest in Gunsmithing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Freedom_fighter_in_IL
December 29, 2011, 01:13 AM
My advise would be for you to go to your local shops with quality smiths and ask them. Some may be grumpy buttheads, others may be very accepting and welcome you with open arms. It's a tossup really. If it is just a hobby you wish to pursue, that would probably go over better than you possibly being "competition" later on. Just food for thought there. I do odds and ends work as a hobby myself and that is how I learned everything I know. Took a few machining classes for metal work and thats about all the formal "book learning" I went for. You will probably learn 100% more from a working smith than you would from any school anyway. IF he is a good smith that is.

madcratebuilder
December 29, 2011, 06:49 AM
Local community collage, take some classes on welding, gas and tig, lathe operation and milling machine operation. Buy all the Jerry Kuhnhausen books. Start accumulating tools and get your FFL. Buy some junker guns and rebuild them.

303tom
December 29, 2011, 10:06 AM
Welcome to the HIGHROAD, how old are you & what do you do for a living right now ?

stonychavez
December 29, 2011, 03:08 PM
I am 26 and am currently a Operations Manager for an RF Engineer Contracting Company. We deal exclusively with major cellphone companies, contracting our services for data and 911 testing.

Earlsbud
December 29, 2011, 03:19 PM
If you want to learn the 1911, Bob Rodgers has classes in Ark. The classes last a week and you come away with a 1911 you built.

If you enjoyed reading about "Interest in Gunsmithing" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!