Stripes on brass

PDA

J_McLeod
December 29, 2011, 12:07 AM
Sometimes I find some brass that has stripes of carbon going from the case mouth for most of the length, and go all the way around. I could post a pic if needed. What does this mean?

If you enjoyed reading about "Stripes on brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jim Watson
December 29, 2011, 12:09 AM
Means it was shot in a gun with fluted chamber, most likely a H&K.

J_McLeod
December 29, 2011, 12:12 AM
Does it weaken the brass at all or make it less suitable for reloading? Ever seen it in pistol brass?

ReloaderFred
December 29, 2011, 01:02 AM
You can reload it, as long as it's not physically damaged. Most of it will have a ding on the case rim that you can remove with a file. It's more of a burr than a ding, but if you run your finger lightly around the rim you'll feel it. Most will have been fired in an H&K or Cetme rifle, both of which I believe are delayed roller back actions.

You'll find 9x19 brass with the same marks that has been fired in an H&K P-7.

Brass fired in these chambers will be functional, but never pretty.

Hope this helps.

Fred

evan price
December 29, 2011, 02:31 AM
If we're talking rifle brass, as long as the marks are faint they will reload fine and the stripes will surface themselves out OK after the first firing. The ones to throw away are the ones where the grooves are deep enough that they make the shoulder look like a gear. That deep, they compromise the strength of the brass. You'll see that on rifles with the wrong size rollers, and/or using soft commercial brass.

Like Fred said, on 9x19 that means somebody has been shooting a H&K P7 pistol. Tumbling takes away the worst of the carbon. It's cosmetic. No problem to reload.

jmorris
December 29, 2011, 06:32 AM
Schuemann AET barrels as well as SVI barrels of the same design also have fluted chambers. If the range holds pistol competitions these are more likely than a P7.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stripes on brass" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!