AK Rear Sight Options

PDA

InkEd
December 29, 2011, 10:56 AM
I like the AK platform but find the narrow opening in the rear sight a bit slow. I would like to know of any other good options besides filing open the stock rear sight or using an optic set-up. I don't know if there are any even but figured I would ask the forum. FWIW it's an Arsenal SGL-21 rifle.

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Rear Sight Options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ben86
December 29, 2011, 10:58 AM
I've seen AK-47 rear peep sights, much like AR-15 style, but I forget where. Maybe it was on an episode of "Sons of Guns." I can't believe I still watch that show.

InkEd
December 29, 2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I saw one on the Krebs website. Anyone ever try one? It's listed for $65.

Inebriated
December 29, 2011, 11:18 AM
Derek Grebner/Tex Grebner/Guy that shot himself has a review on it. They look like a great option. I've been thinking about one for a while.

You can also look at a railed dust cover (Texas Weapon Systems makes a great one), and the Texas Weapon Systems peep sight. It lets you put the rear sight as far back as possible, making the sight radius basically double it's original length. The TWS rail/cover is a little pricey, though (about $130).

snakeman
December 29, 2011, 11:32 AM
Mojosight

Telekinesis
December 29, 2011, 11:40 AM
I have a set of XS Big Dots on my AK that work well. Fast and pretty intuitive to use. They also sell a night sight version with tritium lamps.

Hizzie
December 29, 2011, 12:07 PM
Take a look at Tech-Sights too.

Inebriated
December 29, 2011, 01:48 PM
Yes, Tech Sights are also an excellent option.

amd6547
December 29, 2011, 01:52 PM
I like the standard rear sight just fine.
For close range fast use, I just place the front sight hood on target, and center the front sight base between the ears on the rear sight base (where the rear sight hinges at the front).

KennyFSU
December 29, 2011, 01:53 PM
I'm also in the same boat as OP, will have to check out these options, thanks all.

Adam123
December 29, 2011, 02:57 PM
Take a look at Tech-Sights too.
I have been looking at Tech Sights for a while. People really seem to like them. I would also suggest the TWS with the rear peep sight. If I had to choose one, I'd probably go with the TWS because the take-down on the Tech Sight setup is definitely not a simple as a standard AK field strip. Another thing to consider is that the TWS rail can take on optics. The tech Sights can not. In my opinion the Tech Sights are limited. Both will increase your sight radius when shooting irons.

SpentCasing
December 29, 2011, 04:44 PM
Peep sights work best when the apeture is close to the eye. This makes the TWS cover the superior option. For me (YMMV) Krebs and Mojo sights sit too far forward for snap shooting with an AK.

snakeman
December 29, 2011, 04:51 PM
Fair enough the sight radius is important but so is the cost. That said I would pick the TWS or Krebs over the tech sights and to save money one could use a mojo sight with an optic mounted to their existing side rail.

AK103K
December 29, 2011, 05:06 PM
If you dont like the issue sights (and even if you do), then a good red dot is the way to go. They outperform anything else. If youre going to spend the money, might as well do it right.

I have Meprolight night sights on a couple of AK's, and they have both larger sight posts and rear notches. They work well for fast closer work, but tend to limit your range to 200 yards and in. I actualy found I prefer the rear sight unlit, and repaced one set with the original rear sight. I was thinking it would be to narrow, but it really isnt, and works fine.

You might also look at different makes of issue sights. There is some variation in size of the posts/notches, and you may find something you like better.

Ohio Gun Guy
December 29, 2011, 09:29 PM
I have to check, but I don't remember mine having sights.... ;)

Just some writing that says "This side toward enemy" :evil:

+1 on red dot, especially if you have the side mounted rail.

animator
December 29, 2011, 10:47 PM
I had a buddy make me a custom peep-sight from an RPK rear sight. Even has a tritium "night-sight" on it. It's a one-of-a-kind, and it's pretty cool. It's easy to make, if you ever want to attempt it. All you need is an RPK sight, and some fabrication know-how.

Unfortunately, the gun it's on hasn't been shot since 2007 or so...

my762buzz
December 30, 2011, 02:29 AM
I would like to know of any other good options .

A krebbs rear mounted AR15 type peep site.
http://i29.tinypic.com/2isdus6.jpg

Yellow Box
December 30, 2011, 10:48 AM
could file the rear sight a hair wider to help

when I installed a tritium front sight it was so fat I had to file the rear even wider and that really helped me see quickly

I also put soot on the rear sight to cut down on glare from a zippo lighter

animator
December 30, 2011, 11:26 AM
On some AKs, I've turned the front sight post down to about half the original thickness, and tapered it to a very fine point on the end. This basically gives you a zero-budget NM front sight post. It will do more for accuracy than anything short of an optic.

briansmithwins
December 30, 2011, 02:42 PM
I'm also running the stock sights on the AK. They can be increadbly fast if you use them right.

For really close up just get the ears of the front sight protector on target and press the trigger. You'll get a hit.

A little farther out, get the front sight on the target and fire. Bullets will hit even ignoring the rear sight.

Out past that, go from rough aligning the front and rear to fine alignment. It's reasonable to expect to keep all your rounds in a 12" circle at 300 yards.

I'll take the flat top front and rear sights of the AK over the inverted V and V notch sights of a Mauser any day.

BSW

henschman
December 30, 2011, 02:54 PM
I have Tech Sights on mine and like them a lot. It gives you nice easy 1 MOA clicks for windage and elevation, and just about doubles sight radius... plus the benefits of an aperture sight over a notch.

downingducksdowneast
December 30, 2011, 02:58 PM
+1 for tech sights.

If you want to run an optic I can highly recommend Ultimak rails as a mount. Primary Arms is a great budget optic.

HBrebel
December 30, 2011, 11:58 PM
tech sights or red dot are perfect for the ak

CmpsdNoMore
December 31, 2011, 12:01 AM
I used to have a tech sight on my sks. It mounted securely to the back on the receiver and was amazing. It felt like it increased the sight radius by about two feet!

AK103K
December 31, 2011, 07:51 AM
For those who use the Tech Sights (or any of them that put the sight in the same place), how do you shoulder and shoot the rifle properly with the sight sitting where your face/eye normally would be?

It looks to me it would either be painful to shoot with, and/or would force you to hold your head unnaturally away from the receiver, like some of the optics mounts.

CmpsdNoMore
December 31, 2011, 08:52 AM
It didn't interfere at all. It put the rear sight right in front of my eye without any adjustment, which is perfect.

LKB3rd
December 31, 2011, 09:07 AM
I have a Mojo on my Saiga and it works well combined with a thinner front sight post.

highpower
December 31, 2011, 09:09 AM
I modified an RPK sight so I would have adjustable windage. It took about an hour with a file.

The differences:
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-zpqDnxh/0/XL/IMG0709-XL.jpg
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-GLZL5g3/0/XL/IMG0711-XL.jpg

What it looks like on the rifle:
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-fZBWzNc/0/XL/IMG0712-XL.jpg
http://highpower.smugmug.com/Other/AK/i-fWc4tpZ/0/XL/IMG0717-XL.jpg

AK103K
December 31, 2011, 09:42 AM
It didn't interfere at all. It put the rear sight right in front of my eye without any adjustment, which is perfect.
Just curious, but where do you put your head on the stock when you shoulder the rifle?

My head is down and forward with my nose along side the top cover and my cheek pretty much up against the rear of it, which is how the gun naturally comes up when shouldered. You get pretty much instant alignment of the iron sights.

Most of the of the people Ive seen shooting with the rear mounted sights have their heads way back from the receiver, which isnt how the rifle is meant to be shot, and least when shouldered and shot naturally.

I modified an RPK sight so I would have adjustable windage.
I had to put one of the RPK rear sights on my Arsenal SSR-85C to make up for the front sight being so far off center when zeroed. It worked well for getting the front sight post back in the center where it belongs. Never did use it for any "windage" adjustments though, as I never found it necessary.

I didnt have to do any modifications wih mine though, just pop the original sight out and the RPK in. Pretty easy actually.

highpower
December 31, 2011, 10:06 AM
I had to put one of the RPK rear sights on my Arsenal SSR-85C to make up for the front sight being so far off center when zeroed. It worked well for getting the front sight post back in the center where it belongs. Never did use it for any "windage" adjustments though, as I never found it necessary.

I didnt have to do any modifications wih mine though, just pop the original sight out and the RPK in. Pretty easy actually.

What make was your RPK sight? I ask because the one I bought was from a seller in Russia ( so I assume it was Russian made) and my rifle is a Yugo.

AK103K
December 31, 2011, 10:20 AM
I got mine from K-VAR a number of years back. I dont believe it was Russian, but one of the eastern European versions.

If you feel you need the windage capability, or have a gun where the front sight isnt centered when zeroed, something that drives me nuts, the RPK reasr sights are the way to go.

CmpsdNoMore
December 31, 2011, 12:09 PM
Just curious, but where do you put your head on the stock when you shoulder the rifle?

It's been awhile since I had my SKS, i ended up selling it.
After looking at a few videos on youtube, it seems I put my face farther forward than most people, with my nose almost touching the sight/rear of the receiver.

I seem to shoot aperture sights with my eye as close to the rear sight as possible. I've read/heard that this is the best method.

AK103K
December 31, 2011, 02:58 PM
Your right about having your eye close to the aperture, thats how peep sights work.

Things like the Mojos dont work like a true aperture, and you still need to consciously make the alignment between the front and rear sights.

The issue I have with things like the Tech Sights, and some of the others is, they dont seem to have been thought out by someone who uses the gun in a manner other than bench shooting. The sight is in the wrong place for ''realistic" use.

The Valmet is one of the later progressions of the AK, and has a rear mounted aperture sight on its cover. If you look at it, its rear sight is in the right place, and just forward of where your face sits when the rifle is shouldered and a cheek weld obtained. The parts of the gun that the face might encounter under use, are the same as those of the traditionally sighted AK. Rounded off and sloping away from the face. The Tech Sights and some others, are right at the point that youre likely to have contact, and the parts have sharp, angular corners and edges to boot, and thats my concern.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/6a/RK_62_76.jpg/800px-RK_62_76.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "AK Rear Sight Options" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!