I've got the scope, now to choose the rifle...

PDA

Vaarok
December 29, 2011, 08:02 PM
I bought a first-gen Russian NV (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=262970957) scope off gunbroker for a steal. $175 shipped to my door.

It's kinda bulky, the optics aren't super-duper, but it's got a chevron reticule and turrets for adjustment of same. I can see in the dark with it, and it's awesome.

Here's the thing. It's heavy, and the focus adjustment is such that, with the very narrow depth of field/focus I don't think I'll be taking tremendously long shots with anything it could be mounted on.

Probably going to end up using it dismounted from the quick-mount base to look for escaped livestock most of the time. Still, I think it'd be fun to finally take a shot or two at the coyotes that run across the field behind the dairy with annoying regularity.

So, I think this deserves a rifle to mount on. The one piece dovetail base is short and I don't think will work well on a Mauser action, split bridge actions are out, and I'm left-handed.

Add in my relatively strong loathing for generic huntin' rifles, ARs, and most anything new production, so I'm at a quandary.

What should I put it on?

The only thing I have come up with so far is a .22 autoloader like a Marlin 60, just because it's light and quiet and relatively short-ranged, but seems like that might not use the optic to the fullest potential.

Anybody got a good idea?

If you enjoyed reading about "I've got the scope, now to choose the rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
WardenWolf
December 29, 2011, 08:16 PM
What it's designed to go on: an AK-based action. For this, you have a few good options: any of the various Saiga rifles (including the already-converted ones from Arsenal), or a PSL. AK's are excellent for lefties (I'm one myself) and you can get a $40-$60 mount that lets you attach any Weaver or Picatinny-based optic to one of these rifles.

My advice: either a 16" Saiga .308 or a PSL. People have reported excellent accuracy out of the Saiga .308, approaching 1 MOA.

One nice thing about AK's for a lefty shooter: every AK action I've ever owned ejects forward to the right at a 45-degree angle. Some of them more forcefully than others, but you don't have to worry about getting hit by your thrown brass.

Vaarok
December 29, 2011, 09:29 PM
I have both a PSL and a Saiga. The dovetail mount on this scope is not compatible with either the soviet siderail or Weaver/Picatinny, and even if something were cobbled together to fix the dovetail base to a cantilever the sight would be VERY high over either. Even with a very low cantilever mount over the action it'd be topheavy, as well as have to be mounted very far forward- over the rear sight trunnion on the PSL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/Vaarok/pslNV.jpg

jhnrckr
December 29, 2011, 11:21 PM
If you are going to shoot yotes get a varmint gun. I am not sure what kind of base your night vision quick releases from but I would suggest adding a quick release 3-9 or 4-whatever scope to switch out for daylight.

moxie
December 29, 2011, 11:28 PM
SKS?

BrocLuno
December 29, 2011, 11:42 PM
I think you need a nice used LH bolt gun in 22-250, or there abouts :) Since the scope will mount to a dovetail section. I'd get an appropriate Weaver base for whatever receiver you buy and have the local machine shop re-mill the edges to give good clamp to teh dovetail base of the scope.

Is this a Tiagga scope? I have one of their pre NV scopes with chevron and it's a good scope - a bit heavy, but nicely made :)

snakeman
December 29, 2011, 11:48 PM
I'd put it on a saiga 223, 308, or a romanian psl

If you enjoyed reading about "I've got the scope, now to choose the rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!