Hot Barrel Shooting Better?

PDA

Gunsarefun
December 29, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hello, I havent been on here in a while.. But ive ran across a phenominon. Most of the time you here of peoples' groups starting to walk up and scatter after shooting for a while but with my CZ455 in 22 mag it seems to do the oppsite?! Like my first group will be about an inch at 50 yards and the next group will be a one hole group. Ive tested this with 3 different types of ammo and this still holds true. Andy ideas of what this is and i i can fix it? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Hot Barrel Shooting Better?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LoonWulf
December 29, 2011, 09:42 PM
Is that first group from a freshly cleaned barrel?

o Unforgiven o
December 29, 2011, 09:44 PM
As said, if that first group is from a cleaned barrel that could be the cause. Many folks who take small bore seriously clean little, and when they do fouling shots are run before shooting for groups.

Gunsarefun
December 29, 2011, 09:56 PM
Nope, the barrel was fouled from a couple days before. Could the cold temperature cause this?

stevekozak
December 29, 2011, 10:02 PM
I am not seeing the problem with a gun that shoots better the longer you shoot it? Of course, you would like everyshot to go exactly where you want it, but this still seems better than the other way around, for any kind of extended shooting.

Gunsarefun
December 29, 2011, 10:07 PM
Well i was planing on using this rifle for some varmint hunting and the first shots the one that counts so Id want that one to go exactly where I want.

Gtscotty
December 29, 2011, 10:15 PM
Maybe by the time you go to shoot the second group you have settled in to a position and are focusing better? I notice that my first group when shooting off of bags is not usually my smallest of the session, it takes me a few rounds to settle in and start doing my best work.

Gunsarefun
December 29, 2011, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the advice Gtscotty! Ill try really concentrating on my position when i get mu ammo from Midway an see if they tighten up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Hot Barrel Shooting Better?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!