Truck gun maintenance

PDA

shiftyer1
December 30, 2011, 02:04 AM
I keep a couple rifles in the truck, one being a marlin .22 and the other a 1977 winchester 30-30. I keep them both in saddle scabbords behind the seat. The marlin has been in there and not oiled in at least a year with no problems, the winchester had been in there for 2? months and when I pulled it out I saw lots of active rust, it was oiled well before I put it in the truck. Since I found this i've decided to check on them every 2 weeks, sure enough the 30-30 has some rust again.

I don't think about the guns in the truck much.....kinda think of them like the tools in the tool box. You know they're there if ya need them. But it seems that a gun shouldn't rust in a 2 week period in a moderate climate with no salt and well oiled.

How often do ya'll maintain your truck guns?

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck gun maintenance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
willypete
December 30, 2011, 02:51 AM
Assuming the scabbards are leather, don't leave them in a leather scabbard for one. The leather will absorb the oil faster than it would normally evaporate and some leather treatments can cause corrosion or draw water into contact with the gun. Might want to consider wrapping them in an oilcloth or anti-rust paper for storage.

Wax has been recommended as a preservative on this forum; I've no experience with it, but you might want to give it a shot.

Do you get in a cold truck and turn the heater on? If the guns are cold, that will cause moisture to condense on them if the ambient air temperature rises rapidly (as it will with the heater running).

M2 Carbine
December 30, 2011, 10:15 AM
Mine stay in the vehicles 24/7 for months/years.
I don't leave them in any holsters, etc.
Maybe once in six months I rub them down with a rag very lightly oiled with Corrosion X.

stonecutter2
December 30, 2011, 10:51 AM
In a study someone posted online, Eezox was the hands down winner to preventing corrosion.

I'd get crazy with some Eezox on the rifles.

I also have a cotton rag that i use to wipe down all of my pistols, it's now impregnated with Outers rust preventative oil, Rem Oil, Lubriplate 130-A, etc. It appears to be making an effective barrier on my firearms against corrosion, at least no problems yet. When I wipe it across any surface, it's instantly shiny and slippery.

dprice3844444
December 30, 2011, 10:54 AM
they make gun safes you can put behind or under the seats.
just another thought,if your going to store them in the leather scabbards behind the seats,find those plastic long term impregnated storage bags to line the leather with.

http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=gun+storage+bags&s_it=keyword_rollover

Drail
December 30, 2011, 10:57 AM
Brush on a good coating of Eezox or Breakfree Collector. Don't store them in any type of case or scabbard that can absorb moisture, i.e. canvas, leather, fleece lined or foam. Inspect carefully weekly to make sure they're still oily. Make sure your truck has no water leaks and there's no cardboard or anything else that can hold moisture under or behind the seat. And be very careful where you park. I have had 4 vehicles broken into that were parked where I did not think they were at risk. I was wrong. Firearms made from carbon steel can rust overnight if conditions are right. If the dewpoint equals the air temp condensation will form. Even if the gun is wrapped in plastic if any moist air can get in (or was present when you wrapped it) rust will start.

Ragnar Danneskjold
December 30, 2011, 10:57 AM
If you have the money, I would spring for a Pelican case with a lots of desiccant packs in it.

dprice3844444
December 30, 2011, 11:03 AM
ragnar,only prob is most stuff it behind the seat of a standard pickup,where there is very little room for a pelican case.

medalguy
December 30, 2011, 03:19 PM
http://www.polygunbag.com/gunbags.html

shiftyer1
December 30, 2011, 11:53 PM
I realize that leather absorbs moisture, wouldn't that stop at a point when it gets saturated and at that point help protect the gun from rust? The scabbord I have the .22 in is homemade and was used for a saddle gun for many years and the 22 never seems to rust.

I guess I was curious if most folks checked/oiled their truck guns more often than me. Which is once in a blue moon.

willypete
December 31, 2011, 01:33 AM
wouldn't that stop at a point when it gets saturated and at that point help protect the gun from rust?

Nope, because then it's maintaining the gun in a moist environment. Also, leather is usually tanned with chemicals that can be harmful to metal finishes. Those chemicals are exacerbated by moisture.

I usually don't leave a gun in any of my vehicles in the long term. Too much chance of something getting stolen! Most of my guns get at least a wipedown with a silicone gun/reel cloth every few months, and they're stored either in a safe or in a closet, unless I'm carrying them.

bhk
December 31, 2011, 10:01 AM
My guess is that the two leathers have been tanned differently. I would try 'Bore Stores.' These are silicon treated gun socks that seem to work well and offer a degree of physical proctection for the firearms. A good paste wax (Johnsons) will protect the metal far better than any oil.

ApacheCoTodd
December 31, 2011, 02:35 PM
G-96 for the light/mid lube and protection and RIG for the heavy protection.

If you enjoyed reading about "Truck gun maintenance" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!