AR Research Questions

PDA

sight
December 30, 2011, 01:46 PM
Hello Guys,

My Savage build is in the works and I am starting my homework on my next project; an AR build.

I have plans in the future to move to California... i know why move there if you love guns... i also love paragliding so... ;)

Questions:

A) I have been looking at what is considered an "assault weapon" and was wondering if you buy an upper and a lower which manufacture is looked at to see if it falls into named list?

B) What are your guys recommendations for AR either Upper/lower combo or complete set with my priorities for it being as followed:
1) California Legal (with minor changes ie. bullet button)
2) Reliability
3) Durability
4) Ambidextrous Controls and Muzzle Break
5) Compact (30.1" overall and light weight)
6) Chambered in .308/7.62x51
7) Accurate (2 MOA would be nice)
8) Price Point ($1200 ish)
9) Upgradeable (gizmos and gadgets)

Hope this is enough information to get some great responses!

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Research Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zane
December 30, 2011, 03:43 PM
By virtue of wanting a gun in .308/7.62 Nato, that takes you out of the AR-15 lowers and into the .308 style lowers. There are many parts of interchangeable, they are not as plug in play.

Basically, they come in 4 styles: Armalite (modified M14 mags), KAC/DPMS, Rock River (FAL mag) and CMMG has entered the fray using a G3 magazine. Many of the uppers will not fit on the other brand lower.

KAC/DPMS is the most common and most interchangeable with AR-15 parts. CMMG can use many AR-15 parts and the KAC/DPMS uppers can work with them if the bolt is machined. Armalite uses its own bolt and barrel combo. RRA is the least compatible of them all.

I also don't think you can realistically get ambidextrous controls and have a bullet button.

In the .308 ARs, most of the brands are pretty good. People slag DPMS, however their .308s seem to be pretty good and will most likely hit your price point. I don't know about the other brands, but you can replace the DPMS .308 bullet catch with an AR-15 bullet button.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR Research Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!