Removing paint from composite stock?

PDA

VT Deer Hunter
December 30, 2011, 07:54 PM
I have a stock from ATI for a Mosin and have put 4 layers of paint on and want to take it off so for a long time on and off scapped it off with a kinfe blade. And i am at the bottom layer, how can i remove all or the majority of the paint?

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing paint from composite stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sayak
December 30, 2011, 11:21 PM
I cannot speak from experience, but I have been told that brake cleaner does the job for removing paint from plastic.

Still Shooting
December 31, 2011, 12:16 AM
As a shooter AND a model RR guy, it's brake FLUID, not brake CLEANER! Brake fluid takes the paint off of tiny plastic models without distorting the details, so it clearly won't hurt plastic.:)

madcratebuilder
December 31, 2011, 05:25 AM
Automotive paint stripper for fiberglass body panels is generally safe for composite stocks. Test it in a small area first. I've been using it on fiberglass usgi m14 stocks for years.

sayak
December 31, 2011, 10:21 PM
As a shooter AND a model RR guy, it's brake FLUID, not brake CLEANER! Brake fluid takes the paint off of tiny plastic models without distorting the details, so it clearly won't hurt plastic.:)
Well, thanks for clarifying that! I knew it was one of the two. I have certainly noticed brake fluid eating the paint from my 4-wheeler's handlebar.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing paint from composite stock?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!