AR scope?

PDA

BigShep85
December 31, 2011, 10:51 AM
I was debating on picking up a scope to get more accurate long distance shots out of my rifle, I would like to use one without removing it every time I use my open sights which are flip up magpuls on a flat top. Maybe just an optic would be the better option I am really kinda lost wanting something that would go with my open sights. My ar is a 16" any suggestions on where to start?

If you enjoyed reading about "AR scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Robert
December 31, 2011, 11:42 AM
Ok what is long distance to you? How far are you shooting? That will be a big factor. I do not know of any scope/ ring combo that will afford a good cheek weld and allow the use of BUIS. I use a Nikon M223 1-4x scope on my rifle and it works great from contact to 425y. 425y being the longest bay at the range.

A red dot and magnifier might work. In red dot mode you can use the irons to co-wittness, maybe. Swing the magnifier over and now you have a 3x red dot. They do tend to be more heavy and expensive than a scope but it would work with the BUIS. I have shot a combo like this on my firend's 16" AR and was still able to make the 425y hits. But goodness it was heavy. His 16" with red dot/ mag combo was heavier than my 20" rifle with scope.

Hypnogator
December 31, 2011, 11:58 AM
Probably your best bet is a 1-4X tactical scope mounted low in front of your rear sight. I tried it on my A3, but found it too far forward and too low me to focus on with a decent stock weld. Now I have it mounted higher and further back, over the folded-down rear sight, on QD mounts. :cool:

BigShep85
December 31, 2011, 03:05 PM
I would say 500 yds would be plenty especially for a 16" I have considered the magnifier and red dot but it would be way more expensive than makes sense to me the scope would make more sense maybe set on mounts that allow the use of my flip up sights as desired? good advice so far though, I am leaning toward the scope and alot of people recomend the nikon.

Sky
December 31, 2011, 03:17 PM
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=548040

Kinda hard to get a good cheek weld with a scope and still be able to use you Buis. Some do but has not worked well for me. The above thread is about scopes that were tested and worked for me and others.

Robert
December 31, 2011, 03:22 PM
I am not sure you can co wittness irons with a scope in the way, though I have not tried. It just seems that getting the reticle and the irons to line up correctly would be tough. The only way I can see in my mind to do it would be to mount the scope on see through rings high enough to clear the irons. This would make the scope pretty tough to use with a proper cheek weld. Sorta like mounting an optic on the carry handle vs a flat top.

For 500y I'd want something more than a 4x at the top end. A 3-9 or 4-12 comes to mind but they are going to be larger scopes and thus would pretty much not allow the use of irons when mounted in the proper location. But then again I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time.

henschman
December 31, 2011, 03:58 PM
Your best bet would be to get a quick detach one piece scope mount that comes off with the throw of a lever and returns to zero when you put it back on.

bejay
December 31, 2011, 04:56 PM
would probably go with see thru rings also, so you can still use the sights below the scope. either that or just remove it for using your sights.

Zach S
December 31, 2011, 06:12 PM
Your best bet would be to get a quick detach one piece scope mount that comes off with the throw of a lever and returns to zero when you put it back on.
I agree.

You cant co-witness through a magnified optic (well, I don't think it would work, never tried it), and a mount that puts the scope high enough to use the irons underneath results in a chin-weld rather than a cheek weld.

You could add a cheek pad on the stock to do away with the chin weld, but to use the irons it would have to be removed.

A QD scope mount, guaranteed to return to zero, is the best solution. You can find them with integral rings, or a rail that will allow you to use the rings of your choice. I've considered a Larue or GG&G 1913 QD mount for my AR22, but its on the back burner at the moment. For a duty or defense rifle, I'd likely go with Larue's SPR mount.

keokii
December 31, 2011, 06:40 PM
I put a 1x4 on mine and replaced the flip up irons to off set irons. Scope zero at 100, irons at 25. It works!

madcratebuilder
January 1, 2012, 08:25 AM
If you install a good quality 1-4 scope you may never use the irons again. I put a Nikon M223 1-4X32 on my carbine last spring. Very easy to shoot steels out to 400yds. I spend some time shooting a friends carbine with a 1-4 Vortex scope. I'm selling the Nikon and going with the Vortex this year. It's a little more money but a lot more scope.

ms6852
January 1, 2012, 06:21 PM
You could also consider some quick release scope rings. I highly recommend Warne Maxima quick release rings. They maintain the zero on your scope when mounting and taking it off. Or check out mount plus website for other options. I have Warne rings on my RRA and they are great.

http://www.mountsplus.com/AR-15_Accessories/AR-15_Scope_Mounts/Quick_Release_Scope_Rings.html

gotigers
January 1, 2012, 07:08 PM
For magnification and cowitness, i would suggest a red dot/holographic with a flip over magnifier. I've used an Eotech, a 3x flip over and BUIS. It worked great. It was good to 300 plus easy.

If you enjoyed reading about "AR scope?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!