Did You Even Know A Guy Did This?

PDA

SteyrAUG
January 28, 2003, 11:09 PM
Highest parachute jump

http://www.stratoquest.com/images/life.jpg

The thinner the atmosphere, the less resistance it offers, so the faster you can fall through it. On 16 August 1960 Captain Joseph Kittinger of the US Air Force leapt from an open balloon gondola at 102,800ft - that’s up in the stratosphere - to make the highest parachute jump ever. Wearing a pressure suit and trailing a small drogue ’chute to prevent a flat spin, reached a maximum speed of 982.4kph (Mach 0.9) as he passed through 90,000ft.

http://www.space.com/images/h_kitt_03,0.jpg

Stepping off a platform from practically outer space. Solid stainlesss steel extra large BALLS.

Saw this on the History Channel, from his vantage point you could see the blackness of space, the curvature of the Earth and entire continents.

How the hell do you aim your landing?

If you enjoyed reading about "Did You Even Know A Guy Did This?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mike Irwin
January 28, 2003, 11:12 PM
"How the hell do you aim your landing?"

You try for the continent on the left.

blades67
January 28, 2003, 11:15 PM
How the hell do you aim your landing?

You don't have to aim your landing, gravity takes care of that for you.

Schuey2002
January 28, 2003, 11:16 PM
I heard something about this on the Discovery Channel awhile back.

I wonder if he was packing.:D

jmbg29
January 28, 2003, 11:16 PM
Did You Even Know A Guy Did This? Yep!

We're the greatest country on Earth.

We do all kinds of cool stuff.:D :D :D

NewShooter78
January 28, 2003, 11:18 PM
I heard about this a few years ago while watching something on skydiving. I wonder if after he did it he wanted to do it again. That kind of adrenaline rush would be crazy.

Greg L
January 28, 2003, 11:19 PM
Stepping off a platform from practically outer space.

And at that point his option was....

I remember reading about this in the Guiness Book of World Records WAY back when I was a geek with nothing better to do than read a book about people doing strange things (now I just surf THR :D ).

Greg

Rangerover
January 28, 2003, 11:26 PM
Yessiree!

Capt. Kittinger actually conducted several of these "mega-jumps", although the one you listed is the record holder.

He was also shot down over North Vietnam in May of 1972 (I think it was) and was a P.O.W. Oh, he also crossed the Atlantic solo in a balloon in 1984.

Quite a guy, to say the least! Definitely led an interesting (and apparently not boring) life!

BerettaNut92
January 28, 2003, 11:29 PM
What kinda gun does he carry?

citizen
January 28, 2003, 11:30 PM
Impressive. Many members here weren't even BORN yet.

No one's tried since?

George Hill
January 28, 2003, 11:40 PM
Man has HUGE BALLS!

HUGE!

Rangerover
January 28, 2003, 11:45 PM
No one's tried since?
To the best of my knowledge, Capt. Kittinger's record still stands. If I recall correctly, the purpose behind the "mega-jumps" was research for the upcoming space program. Of course now we conduct research for the space program in space! :)

Jumps any where near this altitude are terribly dangerous. This is a record one would have to seriously think twice about before attempting to break. I wonder if any organization would even sponsor it or provide financial backing? Hmmm...dunno. But as far as I know the record still stands.

Mal H
January 28, 2003, 11:51 PM
"Did You Even Know A Guy Did This?"

Yes indeedy. I remember it very well and in fact I met Kittinger shortly after his record breaking jump at the National Geographic HQ. I would have sworn he was a Colonel though.

rick458
January 28, 2003, 11:56 PM
they called it Project Man High
He has a park named after him in south Florida

Greg L
January 28, 2003, 11:57 PM
I would have sworn he was a Colonel though.

He left the platform as a O3, he landed as a 6. :D

Greg

Gewehr98
January 29, 2003, 12:05 AM
He had a little problem. The glove fitting on his pressure suit leaked. His hand went unpressurized all the way down, somewhere I saw pictures of it. Ouch.

Mal H
January 29, 2003, 12:17 AM
"He left the platform as a O3, he landed as a 6."
Well, it was a very long jump! :D

I looked up his bio and he didn't become a Col. until during or shortly after the Vietnam War. So much for my memory.

Airwolf
January 29, 2003, 12:19 AM
There's a group setting up to break the record by going to 130,000 feet :what:

http://www.stratoquest.com/default.cfm?page=3

Tamara
January 29, 2003, 12:20 AM
OT.

Closed.

If you enjoyed reading about "Did You Even Know A Guy Did This?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!