Winchester Model 70 Tightening Sequence

PDA

vibetech
December 31, 2011, 03:26 PM
I read somewhere quite some time ago that the 3 screws that mount the stock to barrel on an a Model 70 Winchester need to be tightened in a certain sequence. Is this right and if so, what is the proper sequence?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 70 Tightening Sequence" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
murf
December 31, 2011, 03:48 PM
this is my method: 1) thread all three action screws into the action finger tight, 2) grab the barrel and put a little rearward pressure on it (this brings the recoil lug tight against the stock), 3) tighten the front screw firm(don't overtighten any of these screws), then the rear tang screw firm, then the middle mag screw a little less firm.

if this is a pre 64, the barrel screw goes in last and is tightened to obtain best accuracy for that rifle (some rifles shoot best with this screw removed entirely).

murf

vibetech
December 31, 2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks Murf. This is a post '64 model. I'll try your method and see how it does.

USSR
December 31, 2011, 05:30 PM
Good advice from murf. The key is not to overtighten the middle screw - all it does is secure the triggerguard.

Don

pwillie
December 31, 2011, 08:57 PM
I use a torque wrench with inch lbs..

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester Model 70 Tightening Sequence" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!