M1 Carbine?

PDA

dbro822
December 31, 2011, 05:17 PM
I don't know much about the m1, but I think that on would make a fun little woods/truck gun. I not that worried about finding the holy grail of M1 carbines, I just don't feel like getting completely ripped of for lack of knowledge. Most likely what ever I fine is going to be packed around while berry hunting, etc... should have bought one years ago, it seem that they are a little harder to come buy in my parts these days. Thanks for any help.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ldhulk
December 31, 2011, 06:55 PM
M1 carbines are light and handy, pretty good for what they were designed for, which is shooting people, and fairly expensive, compared to say a defense-type shotgun. Where you live and what you envision using the gun for would effect the decision whether it was a good choice. If you are thinking of defense against bears, then no, it's not enough gun. Against human assault, it would be a good choice. It isn't really a hunting gun but fine for plinking if you can afford the ammunition cost.

bhk
December 31, 2011, 07:48 PM
I often carry a lever action 32-20 in the woods when hiking/messsing around and also have an M1 carbine as a house gun. Really not much difference between the two ballistically (I handload the 32-20). They are kind of do-it-all calibers for anything smaller than deer (coyote, fox, bobcat, raccoons, head-shot bunnies, etc) and for personal protection against others. Calibers like the 32-20 used to be favored by many as farm guns.

The carbine is light and handy, but I don't carry it in the woods much because the damn extended magazine gets in the way of normal one-handed carry (a method I favor). The cabine's balance point is right where the magazine sticks out. If you only sling carried, this would not be a problem.

If you bought a Marlin lever action in .357 you would end up with a gun of similar utility and easy to carry.

Snowdog
December 31, 2011, 07:49 PM
They're far from ideal for bears, absolutely. If you ever run into a black bear, then you'll be glad you have 15 rounds. But yeah, it will drop a bear if the placement is there, it's been done.

Image from http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28693
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Ben_Rumson/M1BEARS.jpg

But it was indeed created for killing humans, so it is better suited to that than bear.

If it's feral dog, coyote of even wolves, the M1 Carbine will serve you well.
The M1 Carbine is chronically underrated by a great many people. The cartridge may resemble something of a rimless svelte .38 special or some such pistol cartridge, but it develops the same energy at the muzzle as a .44 magnum from the muzzle of a 6" revolver. It's a capable cartridge if one doesn't expect it to perform like a .30-06.

saddlebum
December 31, 2011, 08:06 PM
and the ammo prices are high

AlexanderA
December 31, 2011, 08:19 PM
Keep in mind that the original concept for the carbine was that it would be a more effective replacement for the pistol. The experience in WWI was that a huge number of rear-area troops, drivers, artillery and machine gun crews, etc., ended up armed with pistols. Due to lack of training and experience, they weren't very effective with them. The carbine was thought of as having the power of a pistol, but being easier to shoot with minimal training.

It was never considered to be a substitute for a rifle.

dbro822
December 31, 2011, 08:23 PM
Not looking for a bear gun, mostly looks like it would be FUN. Bears around here don't worry me much, they a very skidish, but the non english seaking two legged bears that seem to like our woods mushrooms are not. Ammo cost, there isn't to many left that are cheap, thats why I reload. The M1 carbine is just one of those guns I have wanted for a number of years, if for nothing more then something fun to try to get rid of the envading hoads of pop cans, pine cones, etc...

And snowdog, I do belive that I would want a lot more gun if I were going after bears that big, great pic!

ApacheCoTodd
December 31, 2011, 08:32 PM
When the surplus carbines of known and reliable quality were thick on the ground, their use for what you are intending was a great idea. These days the GI guns and their parts are just getting too expensive and many of the knock-offs are too suspect to be left unattended and expect to work when needed. Get a carbine by all means but use some other carbine like one of the "camp carbines" and the like.

Snowdog
December 31, 2011, 08:32 PM
The price of .30 carbine ball is about on-par with your typical .45acp ammunition.

If common .30 Carbine FMJ such as Prvi Partizan or or Aguila came in 20 round boxes, they'd sell for about $8/20, roughly in the ballpark of brass-cased .223, 7.62x39 and 7.62x51.
However, they typically come in 50-round boxes, so your're buying 2 1/2 boxes worth every time, so it does seem steep from that perspective.

For a better perspective of the price of range ammo, it's best to compare the .30 carbine in a bulk purchase of 500.
For 500 rounds of of Prvi Partizan (PPU, which I use nearly exclusively from my M1 carbine) or Aguila, you'll pay about $200 whereas Winchester range ammo for the .223 is about $200-$275.

It's the fancy JHPs or JSP where you'll pay through the nose. However, the FMJ stuff isn't really all that expensive if you consider the round count per box (again about $8/20 if you're comparing it to rifle ammo).

SharpsDressedMan
December 31, 2011, 10:55 PM
Just compared .223 and .30 carbine Privi Partizan ammo. Carbine is about $3-4 more for 50 rounds than .223 55gr (50 rounds). That is not enough to turn me off, as the .30 carbine Privi is regarded to be pretty good stuff. I offer this for you naysayers; personally, I handload, and the difference gets a lot smaller, and even nods towards the carbine if you practice with lead gas checked bullets.

madcratebuilder
January 1, 2012, 09:04 AM
Where are you at on the East side? You could look at some shows, Bend maybe. $600 is ball park for a more common carbine. I picked up a really nice Inland at the Albany show last year. Put it a paratropper stock, it's light, easy to carry.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/M1%20Garand/pix237906272.jpg

303tom
January 1, 2012, 09:29 AM
Talk about light & easy to carry, here is my .30 carbine.

shuvelrider
January 1, 2012, 10:38 AM
Reload , reload , reload , its not that difficult to set up a single stage press and roll your own to keep an old gun runnin.

dbro822
January 1, 2012, 12:39 PM
Where are you at on the East side? You could look at some shows, Bend maybe. $600 is ball park for a more common carbine. I picked up a really nice Inland at the Albany show last year. Put it a paratropper stock, it's light, easy to carry.

Nice looking M1. Yes I'm form the east side and our shows have gone down hill in numbers and quality of gun at them in the last five or so years. LGS got one in a week or so back, but it is super rough, just flat out beat up, and he has it tagged at $795. He is a little high most of the time, but that seems really up there.

sgtstryker
January 1, 2012, 02:25 PM
Does anyone have a National Ordnance carbine? I got one a few years back, have researched about them and it shoots good and is reliable. Just wondering about others opinions..

If you enjoyed reading about "M1 Carbine?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!