Removing Pin from an Encore

PDA

bwsmith
December 31, 2011, 06:06 PM
The hinge pin in my Encore is pretty tight and will need to be tapped out with a little force. How do I secure the rifle so I don't mess up my scope?

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Pin from an Encore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dr T
December 31, 2011, 07:20 PM
Lay it on a padded surface. I have, in the past, used a double layered quilt on my pickup tail gate and an open, foam padded hard case.

bwsmith
December 31, 2011, 10:10 PM
thanks. I also found that I keep a lot of control if I sit and place it on my lap.

Big20
January 1, 2012, 09:42 PM
I use a Cabella gun vise ($50) to hold it in position.

Coltdriver
January 2, 2012, 11:16 AM
I have had better luck opening the action so the locking lugs are not pressing on the action.

Then just sitting with it in my lap, using a pin punch with the biggest face I can find and gently tapping with a small brass hammer on the pin punch. A whole lot of light taps will get the job done. No reason to knock it out with a big smack!

When you put it back in, oil it. If you are getting any resistance at all it means you probably have what is known as an oversized pin which you can buy from a number of places. They are maybe a thousandth over and make for a nice tight fit to eliminate barrel to frame looseness.

wanderinwalker
January 2, 2012, 12:28 PM
I use a piece of dowel. I don't have it in hand and can't recall how big the diameter was off hand.

Just open the action and tap gently. Pad the opposite side and go slowly. Mine isn't a particularly snug fit and usually pops out with hand pressure. Apply grease when reassembling. And I keep the dowel piece in my Encore kit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Removing Pin from an Encore" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!