Very nice score on a scope today

PDA

CMV
December 31, 2011, 07:34 PM
Not the best scope out there by any means, but for the price I think it's an exceptional value.

Got a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40, model 8464 today at Dick's. It was on sale for $229, but my wife pointed out as I was looking at different ones & comparing them that this particular one was only $199. Apparently they had placed it in the case on a stand for a different model Nikon scope that was marked down to $199 but no longer in stock. Anyway, when it rang up the register showed $229 and I said I thought it was $199. They said $229 was the correct price but since they had it displayed that way they only charged $199. I had a $10 off $25 or more purchase coupon so that took it down to $189.

While there is much better glass out there, I don't think it can be had for $189 - at least not from a place you walk in & buy it on the spot. I typically avoid Dick's for anything firearms related because their prices are up there (except the occasional Remington UMC ammo sales they have), but I'm glad I checked them out today.

If you enjoyed reading about "Very nice score on a scope today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
T Bran
December 31, 2011, 07:53 PM
I really like Nikon scopes as in I dont own anything else any more. Even the Prostaff has been excelent repeatable and doesnt ever lose settings. Each time I check a scope after rough handling it is still where I left it.
GOOD BUY
T

gamestalker
January 1, 2012, 06:41 PM
No offense, but I'll stick to my Leupold glass. I have Leupold glass that is close to 40 yrs. old that is still water proof, crystal clear, and never looses zero.

denton
January 1, 2012, 07:45 PM
Nikon makes some good stuff. What you have is no slouch of a scope, and it will undoubtedly give you very good service for many years. Good score!

MrSpiffy
January 2, 2012, 04:56 PM
No offense, gamestalker, but you can't really compare a 40-year-old scope with new production scopes. Construction methods and quality just aren't consistent over that period of time. I'm not saying Leupold isn't good, as it's an excellent brand. But Nikon is a well-respected brand, too. I'd put them up there near Leupold, no questions asked. But you won't be getting a comparable scope with the Leupold name for $189. (But this case was a price mistake, so I don't know if you can really count it.)

jpwilly
January 2, 2012, 05:04 PM
They do have sales on the Nikon Monarch at Dicks from time to time for $199. I almost purchased one last year. But I'm not a 3-9x40mm scope buyer...have a few in boxes as it is.

Nice buy the glass in that scope for $200 is really good.

BrocLuno
January 4, 2012, 12:46 PM
Well done - enjoy :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Very nice score on a scope today" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!