Reloading…Standing or Sitting or...?

PDA

NoAlibi
December 31, 2011, 07:10 PM
SWMBO informed me that it would better utilize our living space (and foster our continued peace and harmony) if I downsized my reloading room into the utility room. My previous one had the bench set up for reloading while sitting. I think this time I’m going to build my bench to reload while standing since that is what I ended up doing almost all of the, unless you can show me the error of my ways.

1. I was wondering if you reload standing sitting or do you vary your method case by case (pun intended).

2. Why did you chose your method(s). Better leverage on the press; being able to look into the cases; cases at eye level, etc. ?

Your input would be appreciated, since it may allow me to consider something I might be overlooking. Thanks…Doc

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading…Standing or Sitting or...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmorris
December 31, 2011, 07:24 PM
I almost alwasy sit, if I can for comfort.

bob40caliber
December 31, 2011, 07:28 PM
Sitting for me....standing for me would mean arms long enough to touch the floor----

steelerdude99
December 31, 2011, 07:29 PM
SWMBO informed me that it would better utilize our living space (and foster our continued peace and harmony) if I downsized my reloading room into the utility room. My previous one had the bench set up for reloading while sitting. I think this time I’m going to build my bench to reload while standing since that is what I ended up doing almost all of the, unless you can show me the error of my ways.

NoAlibi,
Seated on a bar-stool at my garage's work bench works for me. I have not yet tried it just yet as the weather has been decent (so far this year), but I drilled a piece of plywood as so I can hold the press w/ my Jawhorse in-doors when it's cold out.

chuck

Blue68f100
December 31, 2011, 07:34 PM
My setup is for setting. My seating height is such that I have my arm fully extended at cam over. This gives me maximum ergonomics, stations are at eye level, easy to see. My bench height is 34"-35" tall. I use a chair that does not roll. I tried a chair with casters and found my safe always moving around doing the load process.

I also have a bad back and prolong standing is bad as well as sitting long periods. I do better sitting since the process is more controlled. I do take a break every 200-500 rounds. This is when I recharge my primer tubes, standing.

There is no right or wrong method. You have do what is best for you.

AABEN
December 31, 2011, 07:42 PM
Setting where I am able to see every thing and reach it. My loading bench is around 22 24 in high.

HOWARD J
December 31, 2011, 07:47 PM
I sit in a chair with wheels/rollers so I can move around the bench--too frigging old to stand & reload for a long time----I get up every so often to wake up the legs---gets the job done.

bds
December 31, 2011, 07:56 PM
I have a dedicated 6 foot reloading bench in the garage but prefer to use the portable castered reloading bench in the comforts of AC/heating and on a comfy office chair anywhere in the house or the patio.

Contrary to the usual notion of needing to anchor the reloading bench to the wall, the portable castered bench will easily resize thicker walled military .308 cases even with an empty bench because the presses are mounted at the ends (this also allows the bench to clear the width of doorways). The top is made from multi-layer (11) hardwood veneered plywood with 2x4 reinforcement and will not deflect at all when resizing .308 cases.

The 2'x3' dimension allows the bench to be rolled into any room from the hallway and rolls into the walk-in closet of the reloading room to be secured for safety when we have younger curious visitors. ;)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=155807&stc=1&d=1325379404http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=155808&stc=1&d=1325379523

Bud0505
December 31, 2011, 08:33 PM
I stand while I'm loading. It just seems easier to me and I can see the powder before I seat a bullet.

Bud

cfullgraf
December 31, 2011, 08:36 PM
I sit when reloading.

My presses are on free standing stands that I put next to a table. I can move the press around and move the chair to get comfortable.

The presses that are not in use are stored away. Like bds, my presses are not connected to the wall and they perform just fine, even the progressives.

I do stand when working with the tumblers, but that is in another part of the room.

westy16925
December 31, 2011, 08:42 PM
I sit while loading as my presses are mounted to a desk. This lets me sit for comfort. I had neck fusion and hip surgery.

rcmodel
December 31, 2011, 08:48 PM
Standing for press leverage.

If you want to set, get a tall bar stool type stool to rest a cheek on.

Then, you still got press leverage, and a rested cheek or two too.

rc

J_McLeod
December 31, 2011, 08:53 PM
I have a dedicated 6 foot reloading bench in the garage but prefer to use the portable castered reloading bench in the comforts of AC/heating and on a comfy office chair anywhere in the house or the patio.

Contrary to the usual notion of needing to anchor the reloading bench to the wall, the portable castered bench will easily resize thicker walled military .308 cases even with an empty bench because the presses are mounted at the ends (this also allows the bench to clear the width of doorways). The top is made from multi-layer (11) hardwood veneered plywood with 2x4 reinforcement and will not deflect at all when resizing .308 cases.

The 2'x3' dimension allows the bench to be rolled into any room from the hallway and rolls into the walk-in closet of the reloading room to be secured for safety when we have younger curious visitors. ;)

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=155807&stc=1&d=1325379404http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=155808&stc=1&d=1325379523

bds, I really like that setup. I might have to build one like it myself.

I reload sitting in a office chair because my presses are mounted low. The LNL sits lower than my Lee turret, so occasionally I've loaded with it while kneeling.

flashhole
December 31, 2011, 08:54 PM
I like to stand but I also have a bar stool. My bench is an island giving me access to all sides and the presses are mounted over the vertical uprights. I should add it's 42" tall.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/GuideGun/MainReloadingBench.jpg

Steel Talon
December 31, 2011, 09:01 PM
I always build my bench to stand at.. Then I have the large science class chairs from college labs that I sit at so I have the best of both worlds.

RandyP
December 31, 2011, 09:14 PM
I sit... because I can and it's too uncomfortable to reload lying down. lol

ImjinScout
December 31, 2011, 09:41 PM
Standing for press leverage.

If you want to set, get a tall bar stool type stool to rest a cheek on.

Then, you still got press leverage, and a rested cheek or two too.

rc

RC that is exactly how mine is set up, it provides me with a good view of all the cartridges in my AP and the right amount of leverage

Walkalong
December 31, 2011, 09:54 PM
Sitting.

NoAlibi
December 31, 2011, 10:53 PM
bds - Neat setup; if I had used your idea for my last bench I wouldn’t be having this problem now. This current move is my line-in-the- sand. Like the vow says, “Until death (most likely mine) do us part…” and that’s the only way I’m vacating! :(

It looks like I’ll be setting it up to reload standing, but I do have an unfinished, solid wood, backless barstool that I can cut the legs down to suit me for sitting down if the mood arises. For me this would be the best of both worlds - ymmv. Thanks for all your input…..Doc

Jim Watson
December 31, 2011, 11:20 PM
Yes.
I load sitting at the Rockchucker single stage and D550.
I stand at the D1050.
I stood at the AutoCHamp but doubt I will set it back up in the new shop, just put a .38 special head on the 550.
I stood at the MEC 650 and will if I get to needing volume shotgun shells again.

esheato
January 1, 2012, 01:27 AM
I stand for just about everything except charging from the Chargemaster...then I usually have a magazine and a bar stool.

I'm in the garage, and I bought a bunch of the anti-fatigue rubber floor mats (http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=261481-1761-R6677-01-0305-SB&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3457892&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1) and it's wonderful.

Hondo 60
January 1, 2012, 01:42 AM
I'm a disabled vet, so standing isn't an option.
(atleast not for any length of time)

rondog
January 1, 2012, 03:29 AM
Sitting for me, comfort is paramount. Notice my loading bench is a banquet table, then the swiveling office chair. Also notice there's a second banquet table right behind the chair, that's for working on and cleaning guns, sorting brass, whatever else I need/want to do. My little u-shaped basement workshop, I love it!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/rinselman/guns/gun%20and%20reloading%20benches/DSCN3348.jpg

animator
January 1, 2012, 04:08 AM
If I'm doing a mindless task, such as pulling cases from a box and decapping them, I'll sit.

If I'm doing something that generally involves movement, I'll stand. Priming, charging, and resizing, I always have to stand. One reason is for extra leverage for sizing/priming. Other reason is I tend to move a bit when charging/weighing loads--moving from the powder thrower to the scale.

Bullet seating I do seated, since it's fairly mindless once the dies are set up and I have a couple loading blocks full of charged cases ready to go.

This is all with a single-stage press.

Kevin Rohrer
January 1, 2012, 08:26 AM
When I am at the Dillon, I am sitting on a bar stool.
On all my other presses I stand.

Rondog: That bayonet-mounted Garand is the perfect home-defense weapon. Very nice.
I am looking for bayonets for all my service rifles.

beatledog7
January 1, 2012, 09:43 AM
I sit in a office-type rolling chair.

The only reloading steps I've ever done standing are emptying and collecting brass!

medalguy
January 1, 2012, 01:16 PM
Sizing, I stand to get maximum leverage. For most other processes, I sit.

Rory McCanuck
January 1, 2012, 01:27 PM
My bench is 40 1/2" tall so that I can stand at it without stooping too much.
I do most everything seated on a barstool, but full-length sizing I do standing.

My bench gets used for a lot of other things too, so its nice to be able to stand
at it for doing something quick, then once you realize its going to take longer,
just drag the barstool over.

Caddisflied
January 1, 2012, 01:30 PM
I stand for case trimming only,
For the rest of the operation I use a small round stool that adjusts for height,
it doesn't take up much space and easily fits under the bench,

rondog
January 1, 2012, 02:04 PM
Rondog: That bayonet-mounted Garand is the perfect home-defense weapon.

Thanks, but nah....too long, too heavy, too powerful, not enough rounds, etc. I'd prefer the M1 Carbine, which I do keep one of at the ready, but not that one.

I guess it's just me, but I can't comprehend standing to do reloading! Of course, my back ailments barely let me stand as it is. I can sit just fine, but standing irritates my pinched nerves and hosed-up discs. I can work in that chair for hours though.

ranger335v
January 1, 2012, 02:58 PM
I like to have the most possible flexibilty in anything I do so I wanted the option of standing or sitting with equal comfort and utility. My present bench is my fourth but it's lasted me 35+ years as is and I still wouldn't change anything about it. If you gonna make a new bench I recommend you make it so you too will have operator options.

I'm not tall, I'm 5' 10" and my bench top is 42" high. My four hard mounted presses are then blocked up higher so I can fully depress each lever without bending over at all; my busted-up back likes that. I then have a cheap 'yard sale' swiveling bar stool with back for comfort. Its legs are cut so my sitting butt is the same height off the floor as standing; my sore back also likes that.

The bench top extends some 4" forward of the under frame to leave room for comfortable knee space when standing and the lower storage shelf is placed where I need a 'foot rest' when seated on my bar stool; I get full comfort either way I want to work. My press, powder measure/scale/trickler and loading block space are all located so I can stand or sit in one place and do my loading without moving a step. My beam scale's shelf is about chin high so the beam pointer is easy/accurate/quick to see.

Due to experienced and well thought out tool placement, as well as a bit of practice of course, I can easily and precisely reload a couple hundred rifle rounds on my (main) single stage press while using manual powder tools virtually as rapidly as my smarty-pants younger friends can 'quickly' reload using their much more costly turret presses and gimmicky digital-dumpsters for powder! (If my tired old eyes had held out I could probably still out shoot 'em too, and they know it; my 'out of date old man' ego likes that! ;) )

dickttx
January 2, 2012, 12:51 PM
Some good ideas here. Flashhole, I think I have posted before that I like your island. bds, your roller bench is great. rondog, being a CPA for nearly 50 years I am good at sitting and always tried to have desks/work tables in front and back, close enough so I could just swivel around to access them.
But it all pretty much boils down to the space you have. My current setup is an old oak drafting table set up under the stairs going from my garage to the house. A little taller than normal, but I use an intermediate height stool. Like others, I can't stand long.
This lets me see the powder in my case and reach the top and bottom of the arm swing without stretching either way.
If I could just start out with unlimited open space, I don't know what I would do!
At our country place we are just moving from, I use a conference table like rondog and sit on an aluminum frame potty chair. Sure does ease the hemroids!:D

NuJudge
January 2, 2012, 12:59 PM
Because I like different seating heights for different tools, I got a drafting chair, which is highly adjustable. They are not expensive, are shipped knocked down and are easily assembled.

aerod1
January 2, 2012, 05:33 PM
I sit for rifle, handgun and shotshell reloading. My reloading bench is 30" from floor to top. It is just more comfy for me this way! :)

dtalley
January 2, 2012, 05:49 PM
my bench is a small office desk so I sit in an office chair to do all my reloading..

oldreloader
January 2, 2012, 10:48 PM
My bench is 38" tall and I sit on a craftsman swivel stool. I'm high enough that I can see the powder in a 9MM case before seating the bullet on a LCT.

El Guero
January 2, 2012, 11:08 PM
I had my bench built to sit 3 feet tall. That way, I can either sit on a stool or stand depending on how I feel.

twohightech
January 3, 2012, 12:33 AM
I built a steel pole 48" tall to put near my bench. Use a 5in light pole that was gave to me with 1/2 plate to bolt the press too. So i stand while reloading and do not have to bend over at all like pulling a slot machine. Keeps the bench open for other stuff. I did make a small stand out of more scrap steel and wood for the house. I use it for sizing, de-crimping and bullet lubing ect...while i sit. Like someone said not all presses are the same and the bench/stand should be built for you and press fit. I just got a new press is why i moved things around. Just what works the best for you there alot of nice set ups in here.

Nutbustd
January 3, 2012, 12:18 PM
I like to sit on my barstool. After a while I stand. Comfort is paramount. Sometimes my son and I are at the bench for many hours. It is what ever makes you comfortable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reloading…Standing or Sitting or...?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!