Thoughts on FC .223 brass.

PDA

kainronin
December 31, 2011, 11:45 PM
I am still fairly new to rifle reloading. I am liking WCC brass for my .223 reloads. They are firing just fine with no problems. I have a bunch of free FC brass that I am weary of reloading. I have heard of many problems with this sort of brass. Should I even waste my time with it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on FC .223 brass." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArchAngelCD
December 31, 2011, 11:48 PM
I have used and still use FC (Federal) brass and have had no problems with it. some of the FC brass will have crimped primer pockets but once that's addressed they load up just fine. some of my best groups in a 223 bolt action rifle have come while using FC brass in the reloads.

T Bran
December 31, 2011, 11:59 PM
I seperate by headstamp and also have a bunch of FC cases that are in the rotation cant tell the difference once the crimp is gone.
T

kainronin
January 1, 2012, 12:29 AM
I have resized,deprimed,trimmed,sonic cleaned, and polished all of it. I am just wondering if I should sell it, or possibly reload it. I heard its not too strong of a case for good loads.

Eazmo
January 1, 2012, 12:38 AM
I would not load them!!!!!!!! terrible things may become you

I am a card carrying member of the Brass Police.
send them to me for proper disposal.
It's the only safe option for you:D

beatledog7
January 1, 2012, 12:40 AM
I heard its not too strong of a case for good loads.

I heard Elvis has just been spotted having a beer with Paul McCartney's ghost...

Load some, shoot it, decide.

jmstevens2
January 1, 2012, 12:42 AM
Start low and work up. See what you think.

capreppy
January 1, 2012, 12:50 AM
I load them and they shoot just fine. I've got nearly 1k so I separate them for long distances.

Hondo 60
January 1, 2012, 01:25 AM
I love 'em, cuz I don't have to trim once-fired.
They caliper to 1.750

oldreloader
January 1, 2012, 08:19 PM
I can't find a reason not to load FC brass.

kainronin
January 1, 2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I will go ahead and reload them.

mtrmn
January 2, 2012, 10:56 AM
Just pay close attention to the amount of effort it takes to prime the FC cases. I threw away a lot of it because the primer pockets were too large. It was once-fired brass that had not been reloaded before. If it takes little or no effort to prime a case, pull that case and don't use it.

I started getting primers "blown" out of FC brass in my ARs and thought for some reason my loads were too hot until I noticed a couple of rounds that the primer had backed out of during handling. I tapped them on my bench and the primers fell out! I had to disassemble my trigger group twice to get primers out of the way of the trigger.

Jeff H
January 2, 2012, 11:24 AM
Just pay close attention to the amount of effort it takes to prime the FC cases. I threw away a lot of it because the primer pockets were too large.

Exactly the opposite exp here. I usually scrap the nickle FC brass because I have had several squished or high primers because of the need for excessive force in seating primers. That was after the crimp was removed. YMMV.

I don't have any issues with brass FC cartridges.

atblis
January 2, 2012, 11:33 AM
http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=34912.0

I've seen factory Federal loads with visible gas leakage around the primers. I avoid Federal rifle brass.

oldreloader
January 2, 2012, 12:57 PM
I don't mean to be chastizing or rude but, it doesn't matter what brand the brass is. If it shows ANY signs of a problem I don't reload it. That's why we inspect our brass at every step we can.

NuJudge
January 2, 2012, 01:06 PM
When loading Federal brass, the problem was that the primer pockets got loose, and I believe they got more shallow on firing. Use a primer that is larger in diameter, and make sure it is seated at least slightly below flush.

You will have to join the forum, but there is an excellent discussion regarding older FC brass here:
http://www.usrifleteams.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=6071
The only chart of primer dimensions I've ever seen is here:
http://radomski.us/njhp/

snuffy
January 2, 2012, 01:35 PM
Here's the most important part of the link that atblis had;

CONCLUSIONS:

1. The old Federal Eagle made before ATK took over operation of the Lake City plant has a very thin web surrounding the primer cup. Most reloaders consider this brass good for one reloading, then the scrap bucket. The primer pockets are too loose to hold a primer after the second firing.

Now that ATK is operating Lake City, Federal Eagle brass is showing up with LC on the headstamp (since about late 2006 or early 2007). The assumption is that it has dimensions identical to pre ATK brass made when Winchester operated the plant, but I haven't seen a cross sectioned case to confirm whether that it true.

2. Separate all FC headstamped .223 brass from your other headstamps.

3. If a load has been worked up in other brand or military .223 brass - reduce load and start all over again if you just have to use FC brass.

4. DO NOT use FC .223 brass for maximum loads. If you have to use it, save it for reduced or plinking loads.

5. Be aware that the thin web is a ticking time bomb and using FC .223 brass over and over again is not advisable.

6. If at all possible, avoid picking it up, or just throw your, on hand, FC .223 brass away and save yourself a possible headache down the road.

That pretty much says it all. I don't buy federal factory, or pick it up if I see it on the ground.

mtrmn
January 2, 2012, 04:48 PM
There you have it, I was having my problem about '07-'08. Thanks for that info Nujudge and Snuffy.

Loose primers rattling around the interior of an AR are a major PITA.:mad:

R.W.Dale
January 2, 2012, 05:07 PM
I like FC .223 brass

Mostly because its FREE and short.

IME primer pockets do loosen up slightly but that's OK because about then its time to trim and I just discard the stuff at that point being as lazy as I am.

Free one range stand no strings attached brass that I could care less to lose in the weeds. What's not to like?

posted via tapatalk using android.

If you enjoyed reading about "Thoughts on FC .223 brass." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!