vanguard or weather warrior?

PDA

JustinNC
January 1, 2012, 12:36 PM
I normally don't do the xxxxxx or xxxxxx? threads, but I can't decide if I want the synthetic/stainless savage in a 25-06 or the 257wby vanguard in syn/stainless. I really like the "sporter" vanguard too but that aside, the vanguards are relatively cheap, but I haven't seen a complaint about them to speak of. Never seen a bad thing about the 257wby other than ammo price, and I'd reload it. The 25-06 shooters seem to love it too. Choices choices.

If you enjoyed reading about "vanguard or weather warrior?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jmr40
January 1, 2012, 04:38 PM
I like the Weatherby much better. Especially in long actions or stainless. Not really a fan of either caliber, but they'd work if you like them.

Abel
January 1, 2012, 05:22 PM
I'd rather have the Savage 25-06.

HARV6
January 1, 2012, 05:45 PM
I was trying to decide between the two myself over the past few weeks. I didn't look at the plain Vanguard though, i was looking at the S2 model and the Weather Warrior. I doubt you'd regret buying either one as far as quality goes. Even when I handled them side by side it was hard to pick a clear winner. I ended up going Savage. The glaring " Made in Japan" engraved on the side of the Weatherby was hard to look past after watching so many people lose work the past few years.

mshootnit
January 1, 2012, 06:15 PM
I got my stainless 257 Weatherby Vanguard at Cabelas a little over a year ago. I don't know if they are still as good as they were then but we are talking about a sub moa rifle that can take down deer out to 350 yards with a dead on hold. I wouldn't trade my 257 Weatherby Mag Vanguard for a 25-06 Savage if you gave me a new one and new scope and 200 rounds of ammo.
Once you shoot a 257 Weatherby you will understand.

Im not the only one who got a good one go read the reviews of the stainless vanguard at cabelas.com

JustinNC
January 1, 2012, 10:40 PM
By and large the biggest part of the reviews I've read from weatherby owners say they would trade it for anything. Not belittling the savages or 25-06 fans for anything. they seem to be priced about the same. I just wasn't sure about buying that low on the totem pole of weatherby.

GWARGHOUL
January 1, 2012, 11:00 PM
I've never owned a Savage, but I've had two Weatherby's.. one was an older Vanguard Sporter Deluxe 22-250, and my new one is a regular Vanguard synthetic. I haven't shot the new one yet, but I am very confident its a sweet one.

When it comes to their name, I really don't think you can "go low on the totem pole". MAYBE the Turkish shotguns MIGHT be questionable, but not the rifles they have been making for 50+ years.

I feel like I'm working for Weatherby tonight, but the truth is, they sell an excellent product, that is of a better quality and perceived value than most of the other mass-production companies (in that range), and have great service to back it up.

jmr40
January 1, 2012, 11:06 PM
The Vanguard's are a lot of gun for the money. Savage has a reputation for accuracy at a budget price. But Savage rifles just have some design features I don't want. While as accurate as anything, and often cheaper, the quality is not there. You know you have a cheap gun in your hands with a Savage.

The Vanguard is a quality rifle, at a budget price.

trapper500
January 2, 2012, 12:44 AM
The Weatherby hands down its a no brainer for me i admit i am bias to the Vanguard

matt 7mm
January 2, 2012, 01:12 AM
i have two weather warriors a 116 300 win mag that i have had for about 15 years and a model 16 7mm-08 that i got last summer.I like bolth of them they both are very accurate inside an inch and a half at 100yrds possibly better with the rite load and shooter.however the plastic stocks do leave a lot to be desired in my book they feel flimsy and you can flex the forend with your hand pretty easily.I see the new ones have that accu-stock that has an aluminum rib molded into it they might be a little more rigid than what i have but i have never seen one so i cant realy say.personaly i would pick the 25-06 over the weatherby i dont care for the huge flash and bang.actualy i would take a 260 rem or 7mm-08 over a 25-06 but i guess thats not part of the thread.I have never handled a vanguard so i cant comment on them.

RoboDuck
January 2, 2012, 01:19 AM
I have owned both and prefer the Savage. The Weatherby shot fine I just didn't like the fit of the stock. Also If you wee to go with a short action round the vanguard has only one action lenth.

jpwilly
January 2, 2012, 04:55 PM
There's nothing "cheap" about Savage rifles. The AXIS and Stevens are inexpensive models but still well built the Weather Warrier, Mod 12, Mod 10, MKII ect are worth every penny.

2ndtimer
January 3, 2012, 12:05 AM
I would go for the Savage in 25-06. Both are well made rifles, and the Weatherby is probably a smoother action and more attractive (IMO), but you can buy loaded ammo for the 25-06 for less money than a box of 20 unloaded brass cases for the .257 Weatherby. the Weatherby brass and ammo is just too expensive for the slight increase in velocity offered. Plus, the Savage is made in America, and while I have heard that the new Vanguard S2's have a much improved trigger, the Accutrigger on the Savage is good to go as is. Seriously, check out the prices on Weatherby ammo and brass before you "pull the trigger". It would be enough to make me go Savage, but then my thriftiness is legendary. Just ask my boys.

mdauben
January 3, 2012, 11:10 AM
The Savage is a great rifle for the money and they have a huge following of satisfied customers. The problem is, IIRC the non-magnum Savage models are only available in 22 inch barrels, and the .25-06 is a cartridge that really benefits from a 24 inch barrel.

Have you considered the Weatherby in .25-06 (I'm pretty sure the Vanguard comes in that chambering)?

The .257 Wby cartridge is arguably the "best" .25 caliber in performance, but loaded with premium bullets factory ammo costs about 2x what the .25-06 does for a couple hundred FPS advantage. If the cost does not bother you, go with the .257, its hard to find much bad to say about it otherwise.

If you enjoyed reading about "vanguard or weather warrior?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!