Consumer alert .22LR Remington Golden 36gr

PDA

intercooler
January 1, 2012, 06:22 PM
My story from my range visit today. I'm contacting Remington tomorrow:

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Stay-Remington-rimfire-t114179.html&gopid=1684308#entry1684308

If you enjoyed reading about "Consumer alert .22LR Remington Golden 36gr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Matthew Courtney
January 1, 2012, 06:30 PM
Could you give us a lot number so that we know what to be alert for?

OH_Spartan
January 1, 2012, 06:58 PM
Can I assume from you ar15armory post that these were only shot through an autoloader? I would think a bolt-action rifle or revolver may be more dangerous because they have don't have an outlet for the misfire.

intercooler
January 1, 2012, 07:32 PM
Yes shot from my S&W 22A Semi pistol.

I looked the box over and the lot looks to be M150C1234

45_auto
January 1, 2012, 07:44 PM
Looks like the gun fired out of battery.

tyeo098
January 1, 2012, 08:12 PM
Looks like a really hard firing pin strike.

intercooler
January 1, 2012, 08:26 PM
Normal strike from what the other casings showed. In this case when it did fire it immediately blew out the case sending stuff backwards. This wasn't the first round that threw matter but the worst. CCI, Winchester, Aguila and Federal never gave me backwards debris.

VA27
January 1, 2012, 08:52 PM
When you consider the BILLIONS of 22LR rounds manufactured every year, one little pop like that doesn't amount to much. You weren't hurt, you had your safety glasses on, so all is good. Looks like maybe a flaw in the metal of the case where the rim was formed.

Now if it happened more than once, you might be on to something. But one round out of over 500, not so much. I wonder how many rounds were in that particular lot? 10,000, 100,000? You shoot enough, things like that are bound to happen.

I had it happen once with Federal back in the early 70's. 10 or 15 years ago I had it happen with Remington Yellow Jacket in an NAA mini. It burned a pencil eraser-sized spot on my thumb. That'll get your attention!

I bought a 22LR AMT BackUp for $60 once, after a CCI Stinger blew the extractor out. It cost me about $12 for a new extractor, spring and plunger.

I'm sure that Remington would like to know, but you didn't hit the lottery. They may offer to replace the rounds, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

oneounceload
January 1, 2012, 09:07 PM
Wow, I have been shooting these for years - bought them by the case of 6250 a few years ago and still shooting them - no issues besides the occasional dud - which you get with every brand anyway

FROGO207
January 1, 2012, 10:01 PM
The REM Golden have been rapidly declining in quality for the past few years. I now no longer buy them and will not bother again until I hear that they have solved those problems. I think a lot of other shooters are not either as the last time at WM all the other bulk .22 was gone and the REM Golden slot was overflowing. Thank goodness that the center fire ammo seems to remain reliable for you guys but I reload my own so am not really sure about that part.

351 WINCHESTER
January 1, 2012, 10:17 PM
As long as folks continue buying Remington bulk they will build it. Just say no.

Mike J
January 1, 2012, 10:27 PM
I quit using the Remington bulk stuff a while back myself. There were so many duds it was just annoying.

intercooler
January 1, 2012, 10:28 PM
It wasn't just one. I had 2 or 3 in the very first mag which raised my eyebrows knowing I have put thousands of others by different MFG's without any debris. First time I ever shot this because the kids bought them for me as a Christmas gift. I kind of wish they would have asked what ammo I like and Remington wouldn't have been on the list. It's enough in my short experience with it that I will ask Remington if I can exchange it for something else or get a refund. Never will put any through my pistol again :banghead:

El Mariachi
January 1, 2012, 10:32 PM
And Cerberus loses even more customers.

WFD.....

DavidMS
January 1, 2012, 10:32 PM
I notice that my CZ 452 has two ports that appear to exist to redirect gas from a ruptured cartridge. The first is on the left of the chamber. The second is on top of the bolt. I would still hate having a cartridge rupture in it. Would it reduce the severity of the incident? Hopefully.

JohnBT
January 2, 2012, 08:40 AM
"And Cerberus loses even more customers."

You're gonna be called a hater for saying that. There's nothing wrong with Remington's quality. :D

Ky Larry
January 2, 2012, 09:20 AM
Remington doesn't see a problem. If their sales figures are acceptable, why should they care about quality? We, the shooting public, can fix this problem by letting their ammo sit on the shelf. Until Big Greens bottom line start suffering, they could care less. Until we,the shooting public, boycotts Rem products, we're just beating a dead horse.

El Mariachi
January 2, 2012, 10:41 AM
There's only one product from Remington that I'll ever buy. And it's one of these....:D

http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/yy21/shiftster/Remington_81.jpg

skoro
January 2, 2012, 11:24 AM
It's been pretty common knowledge for years that Remington's 22lr ammo is the worst on the market.

Avoid it. :scrutiny:

bannockburn
January 2, 2012, 11:35 AM
I quit using Remington rimfire ammo some time back due to the aggravation and frustation from having so many duds in every box.

wally
January 2, 2012, 11:45 AM
Looks like the gun fired out of battery.

Nope, its why I quit buying the Remington .22LR ammo years ago, I saw way too many of these! All the duds didn't help either!

Not much of an issue in a gun like the M22A, Buckmark, or Neos which are very open on both sides -- as long as everyone is wearing good safety glasses! Good bit more spectacular in the Rugers which will force everything out one side and/or down the mag well. Not sure my P22 would survive it luckily never had it happen there (only because we don't shoot it 1/10th as much as the others).

we are not amused
January 2, 2012, 11:59 AM
I have several boxes of the above ammunition, and have shot through at least three complete boxes in the last year. In fact I went through a box of them just this last week.

I have had so few "duds", I can't even remember any. No split cases or any other such problems, have come to my attention.

It is very possible a bad batch of ammo was sent out, but I have not experienced any. Will check my lot numbers against yours just in case.

I agree with the poster who said it looked like it fired out of battery, no idea how that would have happened, just what it looks like.

Look, it is cheap ammunition. No excuse for it blowing out like that, but you do get what you pay for. But, I personally, have never had an issue with this brand of ammo, and I have shot a lot of it out of my Ruger 10-22.

BeerSleeper
January 2, 2012, 12:10 PM
That is clearly a round which fired when struck by the firing pin, therefore there's no way it can be a remington 22lr.

gathert
January 2, 2012, 12:15 PM
I pulled a random 100 rounds out of a box like yours I had sitting around for about a year and shot it through my Henry lever action .22. I got 11 duds out of 100. Pretty high failure rate if you ask me.

Vern Humphrey
January 2, 2012, 01:25 PM
The REM Golden have been rapidly declining in quality for the past few years. I now no longer buy them and will not bother again until I hear that they have solved those problems. I think a lot of other shooters are not either as the last time at WM all the other bulk .22 was gone and the REM Golden slot was overflowing.
That has certainly been my experience -- I don't buy Remington any more.

Thank goodness that the center fire ammo seems to remain reliable for you guys but I reload my own so am not really sure about that part.
Like you, I reload -- but given my experience with their rimfire ammo, I simply wouldn't shell out the bucks for Remington centerfire on the off chance it wasn't infected with whatever ails their rimfire ammo.

intercooler
January 5, 2012, 01:30 AM
Someone posted here today with a similar story:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=7852233#post7852233

Just hope my shipping box shows up so I can return it!

x_wrench
January 5, 2012, 07:44 AM
i have shot lots of those bullets. and while they are a little dirty, there have been few ftf's. and nothing even remotely like what happened to you. for which i am happy. i have decided to buy winchester 555's prior to this post, not because of the ammo itself, just for whatever reason, my rifle likes the winchester better. i get groups that are about 30% smaller with the winchester bulk. i only have one partial box left of the Remington 525's, and i did check the lot number, and thankfully it is different. i have had some issued with 22 ammo over the years. split cases were the worst, but that was 20+ year old CCI mini mags. but on something that old, and not stored in an ammo can, you have to figure on having some trouble. i am glad you are not hurt! that is the most important thing. but things like this are one of the reasons i will not buy a cheap 22 firearm for my kids. i do not want them to have to live their lives without an eye. its weird, that the only rifle i own that i wear glasses while shooting is my 22. i have on problem shooting any of the center fires with naked eyes, but i have had enough junk come out of rimfires, that i always were glasses while shooting them.

moxie
January 5, 2012, 08:47 AM
I must be doing something wrong, but I can't get these Golden Bullets to misfire or misbehave in any way. My shooting buddy and I recently finished off a box of 550 and started in on another. No problems. I use a Model 60. He's got a Winchester.

intercooler
January 5, 2012, 09:18 AM
It's not a matter of doing something wrong, you probably have a good lot. I need to find the other posters lot since it may be the same.

WNTFW
January 5, 2012, 09:56 AM
In my experience and of my shooting buddies we have had the best groups from Rem GB's out or two 82G's on several occasions.

Only squib I ever had was with Federal Automatch. Only Case rupture I had was with Federal. At one point I went to all Federal. I still have a dozen of their bulk packs. I will shoot them and it will be just fine.

I get FTF with all bulk pack. It varies by box/lot. All of it is dirty.

Bottom line for me is bulk pack is what it is. Federal, Winchester, CCI or Remington all have there limitations.

Last week I shot Fed AM, Rem GB and Blazer at 200yds and saw no discernable difference in results. I will buy based on price & availability.

Ben86
January 6, 2012, 01:05 AM
I've known that stuff was crap for a while now. The last box I had gave me countless duds and at least 10 split cases. It's federal or winchester for me when buying bulk .22LR. The only thing worse than golden bullet is rem lightning. Man that stuff sucks.

intercooler
January 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
Just an update since I went today. The 22A shot great with no ill effects from the burst. This was using all Federal which functioned 100% except for two duds. After posting this where I could we now have three confirmed cases where this ammo is being returned.

If you enjoyed reading about "Consumer alert .22LR Remington Golden 36gr" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!