Check out Ruger's new rifle...

PDA

pikid89
January 2, 2012, 03:00 PM
Any one else get the email?

looks like rulers answer to the savage axis line

with an MSRP of just over 400 and a street price of less, it looks like this one should be a good seller

too bad they don't offer it in 223, or i would try one out in a heartbeat...i love my 2 ruger 270's MKI and MKII

http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/index.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Check out Ruger's new rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lloyd Smale
January 2, 2012, 03:02 PM
kind of a cheap homely looking cuss but then all on the rifles in that price range are.

Abel
January 2, 2012, 03:06 PM
Yep, the only thing missing is a true varmint caliber. Nice enough rifle. I wonder what true retail will be. That 270 with a Nikon ProStaff 3-9x40mm would be the ticket.

Waywatcher
January 2, 2012, 03:18 PM
Heh, looks like Ruger's take on the Tikka.

Overall, looks like a well thought-out piece. IMO, the tang is the proper place for a bolt rifle safety.

Interested in seeing how they hold up. (Remington 770 anyone?)

R.W.Dale
January 2, 2012, 03:38 PM
Heh, looks like Ruger's take on the Tikka.

Overall, looks like a well thought-out piece. IMO, the tang is the proper place for a bolt rifle safety.

Interested in seeing how they hold up. (Remington 770 anyone?)

The bolt is where God and Mr Mauser intended the safety to be.

I looked at the gunblast article. From the pics it looks like ruger went with a bbl nut. I'm surprised ruger rings weren't used and I wonder how close the magazine is to the new polymer GSR mags

posted via tapatalk using android.

Abel
January 2, 2012, 03:51 PM
I just watched the Gunblast video. .5MOA with 180gr 30-06! Nice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx26f0BgCU0

Waywatcher
January 2, 2012, 03:52 PM
The bolt is where God and Mr Mauser intended the safety to be.

Seeing as how there were two Mr. Mausers, and they often made changes improvements and multiple revisions to make their rifles better, your comment seems out of place. They didn't get it "perfect" the first try.

By the way, which Mauser brother are you equating with God, and which rendition of their rifle had the Godly safety? The 1871, 1888, 1893, 1898, etc.?

R.W.Dale
January 2, 2012, 04:06 PM
Seeing as how there were two Mr. Mausers, and they often made changes improvements and multiple revisions to make their rifles better, your comment seems out of place. They didn't get it "perfect" the first try.

By the way, which Mauser brother are you equating with God, and which rendition of their rifle had the Godly safety? The 1871, 1888, 1893, 1898, etc.?

Does it matter since all the models you mention have a bolt mounted safety?

AND being the operative word.

Go troll some 1911 threads where the guys actually do say JMB is a lesser deity and his invention deserves "veneration". In the meantime perhaps you'll develope a small sense of HUMOR

Dorkfish88
January 2, 2012, 04:13 PM
http://www.ruger.com/products/americanRifle/models.html

i guess they just released this cause i hadn't seen anything about it before...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qx26f0BgCU0

^review video

Cal-gun Fan
January 2, 2012, 04:16 PM
Ooooh sweeeet

EDIT: Don't like that stock though, would a normal ruger stock interchange with it?

Walkalong
January 2, 2012, 04:19 PM
Looks like a nice rifle. I like the flat top action, the full diameter bolt, the fact that the trigger is adjustable, the "bedding", the nice looking stock. What's not to like in an entry level rifle.

And sorry Dale, but I like the safety on the tang. :)

Walkalong
January 2, 2012, 04:21 PM
Looks good.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=7844766&postcount=9

mdauben
January 2, 2012, 04:23 PM
Eh, another synthetic stock rifle. Not like there are not already dozed of others just like it on the market.

R.W.Dale
January 2, 2012, 04:26 PM
And sorry Dale, but I like the safety on the tang.

I don't especially care myself as long as it's not side mounted and has three positions. I was just being facetious but apparently only zombi threads can have humor nowadays

Iramo94
January 2, 2012, 04:36 PM
Right here on the top tang right where God intended it.
My favorite thing about Jeff is that he does everything from the point of view of a lefty.

Abel
January 2, 2012, 04:44 PM
My favorite thing about Jeff is that he does everything from the point of view of a lefty.

Which I really appreciate. I also love a top tang safety.

montgomery381
January 2, 2012, 04:47 PM
I like the looks of this rifle. Ruger has taken the good features from a couple of other makers and put them all in one. I would like to see one with a stainless barrel. I have been looking at rifles and this one has everything except the barrel. I will be keeping an eye on this one. That said, it does look like a Savage Axis copy.

wlewisiii
January 2, 2012, 05:07 PM
Savage and Marlin are obviously eating their lunch on the low end. It's not so much a surprise to see as it is a surprise that it took this long for them to come out with a cheap synthi-rifle. It looks ok, but I see no reason to pick it over either a Savage or a Marlin at that price point.

A #1 RSI? Yep. A 77? Maybe. An "American"? Nope.

Bill_Rights
January 2, 2012, 05:14 PM
My favorite thing about Jeff...So, who is Jeff?

Cal-gun Fan
January 2, 2012, 05:15 PM
Jeff Cooper

Abel
January 2, 2012, 05:21 PM
No, Jeff Quinn from gunblast. The guy who reviewed the rifle.

http://gunblast.com/about_us.htm

cottswald
January 2, 2012, 07:26 PM
Not much for synthetic stocks, but I really like the 70 degree bolt throw. And if the polymer mag is anything like the one Browning makes, it should be more than adequate. For the money, looks like a pretty good value.

LoonWulf
January 2, 2012, 07:27 PM
I kinda like it, stocks not the nicest but overall i think the lines work. I dont like the look of the savage Edge nearly as much. It kinda reminds me of a cross between a T3 and an Abolt.

22lr
January 2, 2012, 07:37 PM
Interesting piece. Looks like a solid contender in the budget rifle category.

Abel
January 2, 2012, 07:58 PM
I think that it looks like the same company made both the Axis and this stock. Maybe outsourced by both Savage & Ruger? The geometry is different, but the grips and the molding look identical. It has some great features.

scramasax
January 2, 2012, 07:59 PM
Typical Ruger, re-engeneer someone elses design. They do build good guns and this one looks like a winner. We don't need anymore bolt guns for hunting that bring nothing new to the table.

Cheers,

ts

HOOfan_1
January 2, 2012, 08:01 PM
Looks like a Tikka T3...

KAcwby06
January 2, 2012, 08:10 PM
Hmmm... another company using the their form of the ACCUTRIGGER. I'll stick to my savages. There's been a rare few that I've shot that grouped like my savages.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Coltdriver
January 2, 2012, 08:17 PM
Well I'd have to say that 6.25 pounds at $450 retail is something new. Have you priced anything at 6.25 pounds lately??

viking499
January 2, 2012, 08:21 PM
[QUOTE]Looks like a Tikka T3...

[/

Bet it won't shoot as good out of the box.......:rolleyes:

Abel
January 2, 2012, 08:30 PM
Well I'd have to say that 6.25 pounds at $450 retail is something new. Have you priced anything at 6.25 pounds lately??

I haven't. Is it sky high? I see that the Stevens 200 is listed as 6.5lbs.

Bet it won't shoot as good out of the box.......

If the new Rugers shoot as good as the one that Jim @ gunblast tested, then its a sub-MOA rifle. Is a Tikka a sub-MOA rifle?

Lateck
January 2, 2012, 08:35 PM
I'll agree on the copy of a Tikka.....

Lateck,

viking499
January 2, 2012, 08:49 PM
If the new Rugers shoot as good as the one that Jim @ gunblast tested, then its a sub-MOA rifle. Is a Tikka a sub-MOA rifle?

Every Tikka I have had (4 to date) has been sub-MOA with factory ammo. Have also read my others saying the same thing.....

Waywatcher
January 2, 2012, 08:58 PM
Go troll some 1911 threads

Sure, buddy. I state, "IN MY OPINION, the tang is the proper place for a bolt rifle safety," to which you reply, implying that I am aginst God and a single Mr. Mauser.

And the one who stated his opinion, with a disclaimer, is the troll. :P

Zombiekid
January 2, 2012, 09:01 PM
I'm in the market for a rifle like this. Not much of a hunter just really want a modern bolt action rifle. Im looking at a savage 110, axis, and now this. Maybe I'll get them all. I like the safety on all 4 of my old Mausers right where it is. I have a sense of humor.

HOOfan_1
January 2, 2012, 09:01 PM
I

I think they have an MOA guarantee...but I bet the Ruger will shoot just as well.

HOOfan_1
January 2, 2012, 10:05 PM
I'm in the market for a rifle like this. Not much of a hunter just really want a modern bolt action rifle. Im looking at a savage 110, axis, and now this. Maybe I'll get them all. I like the safety on all 4 of my old Mausers right where it is. I have a sense of humor.

I'd look at the Thompson Center Venture as well

viking499
January 2, 2012, 10:10 PM
I hope they do shoot MOA. It shows quality craftsmanship in my opinion. It would also be a plus to have another quality shooting American made gun.

Jeff H
January 2, 2012, 10:22 PM
So, who is Jeff?

Me!

On topic, it looks like a nice gun for a good price point.

Eb1
January 2, 2012, 10:51 PM
No, .25-06... Bleh!

Coltdriver
January 2, 2012, 10:52 PM
Not to knock Stevens as I am sure its a good rifle but no Stevens is in the class of any Ruger made ever.

When you get under 6.5 pounds with a decent rifle they start getting pricey.

If these turn out to be good shooters then a 6.25 pound rifle for retail of $450 is definitely something new.

I have owned several Rugers, have two now. They have always been great rifles and excellent shooters.

BSA1
January 2, 2012, 10:55 PM
Nope. No way Ruger is tricking me out of my M-77 All-Weather .270 that shoots 1/2" groups at 100 yards.

TwoWheelFiend
January 2, 2012, 11:03 PM
looks horrid

Eb1
January 2, 2012, 11:17 PM
http://www.ruger.com/news/2012-01-02a.html

Says Sub MOA.

courtgreene
January 2, 2012, 11:29 PM
I looked at the parts list, since I don't have one to take apart. One thing I DIDN'T notice was a recoil lug. I could be wrong, but that makes me think M770. Other than that, it looks fine. as for Colt Driver's comment, that barrel nut seems like a pretty stevens-like feature to me. One thing I do like is the bolt lugs on the American. Reminds me of a TC, and just seems more balanced.

Dmitri Popov
January 2, 2012, 11:34 PM
I saw that rifle and thought, "Wow thats a nice looking, innovative rifle!".
I then looked to my left, where my Savage Axis is sitting, "Ohhh...."

Smith357
January 2, 2012, 11:53 PM
Just what we need another cheap, butt ugly, black, bead blasted, plastic stocked, rifle, that is nothing more than an exercise in cost cutting while justifying it with all the regular marketing buzzwords.

tikka-guy
January 3, 2012, 12:38 AM
It's nice to see everyone's got their mind made up about the rifle's quality (or lack thereof) before ever actually seeing one.

I like Ruger, and hope this does well. I don't really have the need for a new rifle, but if I did I'd definitely be checking one out.

Art Eatman
January 3, 2012, 12:45 AM
Personal opinion, but the '06 version would benefit from having a 24" barrel. At 22", the '06 and .308 are equal performers. 150- and 165-grain bullets, anyhow.

But, nice lightweight critter.

JEB
January 3, 2012, 12:52 AM
Just what we need another cheap, butt ugly, black, bead blasted, plastic stocked, rifle, that is nothing more than an exercise in cost cutting while justifying it with all the regular marketing buzzwords.

that was more or less my first thoughts as well. i prefer wood and blued steel on my rifles but i know a lot of people that prefer synthetic. i am a big ruger fan but this one is just not my cup of tea. when i finally drop some cash for a bolt gun it will be an m77.

on the plus side...look at the MSRP! with real-life prices always coming in a good bit lower than MSRP, this should be a very affordable rifle. since it has most all of the features that hunters are typically looking for in a hunting rifle, the price and the ruger name might just make it a more common choice. and more american made guns in american hands sure aint a bad thing! :D

RhinoDefense
January 3, 2012, 12:54 AM
Looks like a Tikka with a Savage trigger.

willypete
January 3, 2012, 01:21 AM
Personal opinion, but the '06 version would benefit from having a 24" barrel. At 22", the '06 and .308 are equal performers. 150- and 165-grain bullets, anyhow.

Huh? I'd like to see your chrony results...

Not saying that .308 and .30-06 aren't so close as doesn't matter to whatever's getting shot (who cares about 200 fps when you're near 3000?), but even with lightweight bullets and a 22" bbl, .30-06 is gonna have a velocity advantage.

benzy2
January 3, 2012, 01:30 AM
The problem I have is that the sub $450 price range is saturated with quality rifles. Ruger has a rather black and blue past about accuracy in multiple lines. Things seems better in more recent rifles but with all the other options that have shown to shoot well in this price range it wil take a while of many solid reviews to displace the current cream. With names like the Stevens, axis, venture, vanguard, as well as sales on savages, remingtons, tikkas, etc it will take a rifle that consistently performs to make the ruger a value.

Abel
January 3, 2012, 05:48 AM
with all the other options that have shown to shoot well in this price range it wil take a while of many solid reviews to displace the current cream. With names like the Stevens, axis, venture, vanguard, as well as sales on savages, remingtons, tikkas, etc it will take a rifle that consistently performs to make the ruger a value.

Agreed.

MuleRyder
January 3, 2012, 06:19 AM
First thought is synthetic eh, I know they have their place, but I like walnut and blued steel. I have a M77 with tang safety, which I don't mind, except that it locks both the trigger and the bolt when on. I don't care for that. I like the three position safety on my M70 right there on the bolt where it belongs.

Abel
January 3, 2012, 07:06 AM
I like the three position safety on my M70 right there on the bolt where it belongs.

I never knew that the safety belonged on the bolt. Growing up, I used Browning A-Bolts. Another case of blissful ignorance.

Smith357
January 3, 2012, 10:04 AM
It's nice to see everyone's got their mind made up about the rifle's quality (or lack thereof) before ever actually seeing one.

I saw the pictures of the one they gave Jeff Quinn, go to Gunblast.com and see the machine marks on the receiver, the mold marks on the stock, the ill fitting plastic magazine, plastic trigger guard, et, et. et. This from a rifle you know Ruger made perfect, as it was being shipped to a respected internet gun writer for a review.

Abel
January 3, 2012, 12:11 PM
go to Gunblast.com and see the machine marks on the receiver, the mold marks on the stock, the ill fitting plastic magazine, plastic trigger guard, et, et. et.

Did you not see the 5/16th inch group? You left that part out.

This from a rifle you know Ruger made perfect, as it was being shipped to a respected internet gun writer for a review.

Does this mean that you don't want one? :neener:

Smith357
January 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
Did you not see the 5/16th inch group? You left that part out.

I saw it, does that mean all those fine open sighted lever action rifles that print 2 inch groups are now junk?

The other marketing ploy you forgot is it's lightweight, I suupose you saw the hollow plastic stock. Did I mention the gun very light?

Sorry but for a $400-$450 .30-06 I'll keep buying rifles like these. And they came with scopes already mounted. They all shoot right at 1 MOA so I hope I don't miss that moose.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/smith357/armory/1903-A3%20Rem/IMG_3909.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/smith357/armory/Model%2070/win70b.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y266/smith357/armory/IMG_4480.jpg

Fullboar1
January 3, 2012, 12:56 PM
Hey look an American copy of a Finnish rifle (with some Savage add ons). I do like the Tang saftey and the 1/10 twist in 308 and the 1/9 in 243.

Big Bad Bob
January 3, 2012, 02:21 PM
So its a Savage-Tikka-Sako Copy and somehow this makes its "American" and an "Engineering Innovation" ??? :rolleyes: I dont get it. Did the gun market really need another budget bolt gun that isnt that much different from what is already out there? Rotary mags arent all that great.

I guess its true, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

If I were in the market for another synthetic black bolt gun,(which I am not) I would probably just get a Tikka T3 Lite over this thing.

HOOfan_1
January 3, 2012, 03:08 PM
Did the gun market really need another budget bolt gun that isnt that much different from what is already out there? .

Did the gun market need any more polymer striker fired pistols when Smith and Wesson came out with the Sigma, or the M&P or when Walther came out with the PPQ?

Did the gun market need another AR-15 when Smith and Wesson came out with the M&P?

Did the gun market need another 1911 clone when STI, SIG, Smith and Wesson etc. etc. etc. brought theirs out?

Shame on Ruger for trying to tap into a growing market and trying to make money where other companies are cleaning up. Shame on Ruger for giving buyers another choice. Shame on Ruger for bringing out more competition to help keep prices down. :banghead:

Big Bad Bob
January 3, 2012, 03:31 PM
I can see where you are coming from HOOfan1, but at least having something be different about it, if you are going to claim "Innovative" at least have something that is innovative about it.

This is a shameless copy, its a hodgepodge of one companies trigger and another's action and even stock pattern, similar to the S&W copying the Taurus Judge. Its a joke to call it the "American" rifle when all it is made in America. They ought have called it the "Chinese" rifle, since thats all their companies can do is copy others designs and call it theirs.

Business is business, and I understand wanting to offer fans of your company a similar offering in the market to compete in the budget rifle category. Got it. Doesn't mean I have to like it or approve of their version. The only Ruger offering I want to see is a budget version of the Ruger Number 1.

R.W.Dale
January 3, 2012, 03:48 PM
[QUOTE]Looks like a Tikka T3...

[/

Bet it won't shoot as good out of the box.......:rolleyes:

Did you see the test groups.

With an MSRP of $450 (which is less than a tikka retail) street price will be real close to $300

Honestly guys! I want to know how you make a new bolt action in the 21'st century that doesn't borrow some design elements employed in other models.

Last I checked a Mustang and Prius both have the motor up front and have four wheels. Does that make the Prius a copy of a mustang.

Coal Dragger
January 3, 2012, 04:00 PM
About the only innovative and unique bolt action I can think of that was introduced in the last 30 years has been the Blaser R93 and now R8. That's it.

Big Bad Bob
January 3, 2012, 05:36 PM
The Accutrigger was a unique and innovative trigger system first brought to the market by Savage in 2002, apparently that was a game changer given the amount of other companies copying its design including this new offering from Ruger.

I see yalls point, we could say basically all modern bolt guns copy the Mauser brothers designs in some form but to me this offering is more than a borrow but a copy. It looks as though they looked at Tikka T3 lite, put a Savage trigger on it and said its made in America, and Bam! its a new innovative design from Ruger called the American Rifle? Really? Even the stock pattern is the same as the Tikka......:rolleyes:

To me this is like Chevy rolling out a version of the Mustang changing the rims and calling it a Camaro.

tikka-guy
January 3, 2012, 07:19 PM
I suupose you saw the hollow plastic stock

You say that like it's a bad thing. Can we please stop using "plastic" as a derogatory term describing materials? I'd take a "plastic" stock anyday... it's more durable, more forgiving to weather, and lighter. I suppose you still use wooden arrows too?
It's not like they went down to the tupperware factory and modified one of the container presses to start pumping out rifle stocks.

There are some similarities between this rifle and some others on the market. I'm not a big fan of the 'accutrigger-style' trigger. There are a few things that are Tikka-like, such as the stock, the ejection port, and hexagonal receiver. But I'd say lending some design from Tikka is probably a good way to go.
I don't design firearms for a living, but I think it'd be foolish to design a bolt action rifle without lending some ideas and designs from others. It's a bolt-action rifle folks, it's not new, it's not radical, at least not in a budget line.

LoonWulf
January 3, 2012, 07:33 PM
Theres my thoughts, and what I see as the point to this rifle. Ruger dosent have a "low end" gun. These offer folks who are either unwilling, or unable to purchase a ruger hawkeye or other new ruger a chance to shoot/own one. From a sales point It SHOULDNT be as nice as a more pricey ruger, or really any other higher end gun, it should be a stepping stone for a "better" rifle, or a gun that some one buys as a beater.

If you like decent wood and metal, the 500 dollar price range is no longer a place to look for a rifle it seems.

Eb1
January 3, 2012, 08:02 PM
I think they offer a decent package with some features that the other manufactures lack.

Removable magazine
Integrated rings
Free floating barrel
A doubled braced bedding stock

If I could get one in .25-06. I would sell my XL-7, and buy one. Heck! I might just get one in .270, and sell the .25-06 anyway.

Abel
January 3, 2012, 08:34 PM
Integrated rings

What integrated rings?

Eb1
January 3, 2012, 08:37 PM
Oh. They are not integrated.
It comes with rings that mount to the receiver. Or am I reading that wrong?

R.W.Dale
January 3, 2012, 08:39 PM
It comes with a set of Weaver bases according to gunblast

Eb1
January 3, 2012, 08:43 PM
I see. Two piece Weaver rings.

Looking at the "features" it looks like integrated rings.

tikka-guy
January 3, 2012, 08:50 PM
If I could get one in .25-06. I would sell my XL-7, and buy one.

None of the calibers there jump out at me as something I'd want to buy (already have .270 and .308). But... think there's any chance they offer this in 6.5 Creedmoor? I wouldn't mind experimenting with that caliber a bit :) Hmmm.

Eb1
January 3, 2012, 08:54 PM
Being a big fan of the .25-06, I would like to own another. Possibly one that was built with a detachable magazine.
The XL-7 I have shoots really well, and is a good hunting rifle for the distances I shoot at which are not over 300 yards.

A 6.5 Creedmore would be a nice choice. We may see more calibers coming out. I wouldn't mind having a .308 if I were to buy a new rifle. Just because I have a lot of medium burning powder here for .223 and 30-30, and that could be used for .308 as well.

TexAg
January 3, 2012, 09:00 PM
LoonWulf hit the nail on the head. It's an intro rifle. Someone buys this as their first rifle, enjoys it, buys a Hawkeye later with a little more $$, then a #1 later, etc. Same happens with many manufacturers, Jaguar used to only have two models, Ford didn't used to make compact cars, etc.

Smith357
January 3, 2012, 09:42 PM
You say that like it's a bad thing. Can we please stop using "plastic" as a derogatory term describing materials? I'd take a "plastic" stock anyday... it's more durable, more forgiving to weather, and lighter.

Plastic is the proper term. You can have your cheap injection molded plastic stocks. If you don't mind I'll stick with Walnut or if I really need a submersible rifle a good glass one.

I suppose you still use wooden arrows too?

Sometimes I even fletch them with real turkey feathers. I'm such a Neanderthal.

It's not like they went down to the tupperware factory and modified one of the container presses to start pumping out rifle stocks.

The stock used on the Ruger and so many other abominable budget rifles is not made from a form machine but injection molded, you can see the seams and injection points.

Hopefully Ruger won't feel the need to produce a pistol to compete for HiPoints market share.

Boanerges57
January 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
Im just glad there are still some companies making things in america.

Looks like an interesting idea. Looks a lot like an axis with an accutrigger on it.
ruger has sat with the model 77 for a long time, nice to see they arent stuck in a hole developmentally, would be nice to see an american company build something that could rival a tikka out of the box at a similar or lower price.
It will be interesting to see how well the aftermarket likes these rifles.

btw "Ford didn't used to make compact cars, etc." ford made compact cars, they just didnt sell them in america because no one wanted to buy a compact car here.
GM did too. MOPAR was late to the european market, but gm and ford were there a long time making tiny little cars, decent 4cyl gas and turbo diesel engines.... i digress.

BigMag
January 3, 2012, 10:45 PM
I like the idea, but that stock is ((ahem)) ugly, to say the least. American to me would mean an attractive high quality wood stock...

TexAg
January 3, 2012, 10:50 PM
My point remains, they didn't sell them here because there wasn't a market, later there was. Ruger sees a market and they're going for it.

joedotnet
January 3, 2012, 11:06 PM
Not really a rifle guy....what other companies have free floating barrels at that price point?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

benzy2
January 3, 2012, 11:18 PM
The problem is you really can't call anything they have done innovative or original. Does that make it bad? Nope but their marketing program seems to make claims that raise a few questions. The real question is if this will be a rifle like say the vanguard or venture or will this be the 770? I don't have issue with Ruger making these and I think Ruger is smart to enter this market. I hope for their sake that they have everything squared away as this segment is very competitive and anything but a real performer is going to have a tough time gaining market share this late in the game.

As for Gunblast and Mr Quinn. It seems any rifle sent to him shoots half MOA or better with at least one brand/load of ammo. I've heard he has many unfavorable reviews of items not posted but it really does seem that you can count on any review he has to show one ammo well under MOA if not under 1/2 MOA. Maybe all of the firearm manufacturers are simply cherry picking rifles to ship. If we were to only look at his reviews though there isn't a firearm made today that won't shoot 1 MOA.

tikka-guy
January 3, 2012, 11:59 PM
Sometimes I even fletch them with real turkey feathers. I'm such a Neanderthal.

Yeah what I said didn't really come out right. I didn't mean to knock someone for doing this... that's pretty cool. The point I was trying to make was that just because something isn't wood doesn't mean it's crap. Yes, there are better stocks out there, but at this price point it's a decent option. I take care of my gear, but I don't baby it. I feel that a "plastic" stock gives me that. I don't much care if it has seams on it. To each their own.

War Eagle
January 4, 2012, 09:48 AM
I own the Savage Edge/Axis (http://gunzoo.com/vault/Mac/60) and this gun looks like its twin! My Savage will shoot 1/2 MOA all day. I upgraded the trigger and this thing is a shooter. It's super light so when you're walking corn fields it doesn't weigh you down.

Waywatcher
January 4, 2012, 01:57 PM
I don't get the problem with the stock? It's functional, it has marks of manufacturing, and this is not acceptable on a budget rifle?

pwrstrkd
January 4, 2012, 03:09 PM
I agree it would be more desirable with a nice walnut stock, but the current one is fuctional. Im sure if it did have a nice wouls stock, people would find something else to complain about like the price.

Sergei Mosin
January 4, 2012, 09:03 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when a company can market a cheap plastic-stocked rifle with no sights as an "American Rifle" and not only keep a straight face but expect to sell them en masse. How far we have fallen.

Eb1
January 4, 2012, 09:12 PM
I don't think it is that sad these days. Probably expected, but I'd say a Marlin 336 is more of an "American Rifle" than this. You are correct in that respects. At least you can buy a 336 a box of Federal 170 grain blue box RN, and kill 20 deer for the cost of this rifle. I still like this rifle though.

I feel it will push the QC of other companies in the same market of budget bolt guns.

I'd like to hold one, and inspect it in person. Picture can be doctored, and gun writers make money for their words. Another thing is it wouldn't weigh 6.25 or 6.12 lbs. if it had a wood stock.

HOOfan_1
January 4, 2012, 09:21 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when a company can market a cheap plastic-stocked rifle with no sights as an "American Rifle" and not only keep a straight face but expect to sell them en masse. How far we have fallen.

Sounds like the idea behind the Model T. A cheaper, plain jane car for the every day man.

Not sure what having no sights has to do with it...CZ makes guns in Europe with no sights and calls them "American". How many $2000+ Weatherby Mark Vs come with sights. How many $3000+ Cooper rifles come with sights?

Abel
January 4, 2012, 09:37 PM
It is funny how this rifle creates such a negative reaction in so many. I don't recall people crying bloody murder about the Stevens 200 or the Marlin XR7 or whatever it is. Maybe if Ruger would have called it the Low Baller Rifle, everything would be peachy.

WYcoyote
January 4, 2012, 09:46 PM
Same old ho-hum calibers.
Why not a .260 and a 25-06?

Abel
January 4, 2012, 09:54 PM
The New Ruger Lowball Rifle

Ky Larry
January 4, 2012, 09:58 PM
The marketing folks at Ruger aren't stupid. You can bet they did their research and decided there's a market for this rifle.

I can now buy pretty much what I want but this wasn't always true. I remember the days of saving $5.00 a week to finance a gun purchase. I remember saving for months to buy a Remington 1100 12ga. It cost $179.00 and I thought I never would get there. Low cost firearms aren't "low cost" for everyone. Not everyone can afford a new Sako or Cooper.

Abel
January 4, 2012, 10:03 PM
After six months there will be twenty or thirty reviews by actual High Road members. By then, several of us will have at least looked one over in a gun store.

willypete
January 5, 2012, 12:50 AM
Same old ho-hum calibers.
Why not a .260 and a 25-06?

Those same ho-hum calibers are consistent sellers. I'd imagine they're testing the waters with this rifle before they go whole-hog and introduce new calibers. If this gun takes off, I expect more selection in a few months.

LoonWulf
January 5, 2012, 04:06 AM
Lets look at it this way, who would buy one? Who wouldnt? Guys who crave beautiful guns, or something revolutionary will snub this and pretty much every other budget rifle. These folks look at guns more as art then tools, or mayhap artfull tools? The other side to the coin are the folks who see only a tool, solid, usefull, and good enough. Savage managed to tap into both groups to an extent, and another, the guy who wants to stick stuff to his tool......
This gun might also get some luvin from that group :d

If you enjoyed reading about "Check out Ruger's new rifle..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!