CapitalOne, address change, and PATRIOT Act

PDA

TarpleyG
February 5, 2004, 08:09 PM
Address changes can no longer be performed online

Following the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, Congress passed the USA PATRIOT Act. The purpose of the Patriot Act is to help the government fight the funding of terrorism and money laundering activities. The Federal government is relying on all financial institutions to take reasonable steps to know the true identity of every customer who wishes to open an account. There are individuals that use banking relationships to finance terrorism and other criminal activity. The effort to identify and verify our customers is one way to further prevent, detect and prosecute international money laundering and terrorist financing.

As part of this effort, Federal law now requires that all financial institutions maintain a physical street address on file for customers. Therefore, address changes can no longer be performed online. To change your address, please call 1-800-951-6951 to speak with a Customer Relations associate.

Capital One respects your privacy and maintains its commitment to protecting your personal information. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Man, I am fuming!!! Thanks again President Bushwhacked and Mr. AshKKKroft. @#$%^&*()_+ Patriot Act. They can cram it up thier arses.

Sorry, just had to vent. I am trying to change my mailing address to the one they are already supposed to be mailing my statement to anyway. I use a PO box, not my home address. Looks like this says I can't even do that now. I give up!!!

GT

If you enjoyed reading about "CapitalOne, address change, and PATRIOT Act" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Balog
February 5, 2004, 08:16 PM
It's for your own good. And the children. Besides, if you aren't doing anything wrong why would you be worried? :uhoh:

Art Eatman
February 5, 2004, 09:51 PM
I did a trade-in and upgrade on my pickup truck, yesterday. There's an "anti-terrorist" warning about money laundering at the dealership...I've bought houses and land on time payment with less paperwork than this cash+trade deal on a danged truck!

I gotta admit that it's fun to watch a clerical type's eyes get all crossed when I try to explain that where I live there are almost no named roads, almost no named "streets" and no street addresses except what we make up for the benefit of the UPS man. My "official" address is a compass direction and the cross-country guesstimated mileage from my post office. :D

Art

sm
February 5, 2004, 09:58 PM
I use a local bank (s) for my needs , including the one credit card I have.
Due to a recent "identity theft" situation I Cx everything and started over with all new accts. My banker(s) ,long time friends, are "not real happy" with the new "regulations".

Actually since I rarely use my checking, debit and especially credit card, my statements actually are kept at the bank for me to pick up...until myself and the bank(s) are comfortable with my situation.

I really really hate the SSN being used for ID purposes. School ID, health insurance...and I made a big suggestion - quit putting the darn "account numbers" in the statements. My attempt ( without going into particulars and giving ideas to BGs) ,my mail was put into wrong mailbox / someone claimed to be me when postperson was putting mail into the apt "pigeon holes".

I "may " have upset someone during / giving testimony...real difficult to hide one's ID when you "state your name for the record".

I'm pushing for "a customer ID" for mailing purposes ...yeah more of a pain and paperwork...but makes more sense to not have my actual acct # on a statement mailed to me...even one showing no activity.

Delmar
February 5, 2004, 09:59 PM
Yo Art-do you use a "gate" as part of your address? My step son did when he was living down there, North of Terlingua on the hwy going towards Alpine.

Mike Irwin
February 5, 2004, 11:51 PM
Quite frankly, simply from the identity theft avenue, I wouldn't want to be able to do an address change for a financial institution online anyway.

Great way to redirect mail and grab control of an account.

artherd
February 6, 2004, 02:55 AM
Mail Boxes ETC (AKA UPS STORE) Lets you retain a PO box, with auto-forwarding to your real address.

And it appears as and is delivered to just like any normal address.

(actually treat it as a sute number.)

It works great, and you don't have to deal with the bull???? and stigma of 'PO BOX'.

Mike Irwin
February 6, 2004, 02:59 AM
Artherd,

Private PO box places are fairly popular in some cities, such as NY. Some years ago they had a huge bust at one. Employees were rifling the mail and grabbing credit card applications and going to town.

If you enjoyed reading about "CapitalOne, address change, and PATRIOT Act" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!