Powders you have given up on?

PDA

Peter M. Eick
January 2, 2012, 09:06 PM
I have been on a campaign to use up powders that I played with and did not like for one reason or another.

Here is a partial list of powders that worked, but I just could not find a load I liked with them.

Longshot - always seemed to burn hot to me. Never worked well with lead bullets in general.

Lil-gun - good powder in general, but again burns quite hot for lead.

2495 - no better accuracy than IMR4895 in my guns.

AA5 - could not find a place that it did better than power pistol

AA2 - 231 always seemed to work better

HP38 - same as 231. Why have both?

296 - same as h110. Why have both?

H4895 - never seemed to work as well as IMR4895 for me.

Varget - never was that accurate for me in my rifles.

Powders that are currently on the potential cutting block:

AA7 - my go to powder for 10mm, but I am liking 800x more and Blue Dot for mid range loads.

Retumbo - worked a lot with this on the 25-06 but can't seem to find a load that my guns like better than either 4350/4831

Clays - Red dot works just as well for shotgun and is a lot cheaper locally

H380 - works for 22-250 but I wonder about 4064 instead.

231 - Bullseye always seems to have the edge on accuracy in the 45acp for me.

So anyone want to add to the list of powders they have worked with but no longer stock?

If you enjoyed reading about "Powders you have given up on?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
January 2, 2012, 09:10 PM
LIL-GUN by far

no accuracy to speak of in 357 carbines and SCARY pressure spikes that would render new cases unreloadable with one firing with the hodgdon data that allegedly generates less pressure than h110

J_McLeod
January 2, 2012, 09:11 PM
I have been on a campaign to use up powders that I played with and did not like for one reason or another.

Here is a partial list of powders that worked, but I just could not find a load I liked with them.

HP38 - same as 231. Why have both?

Powders that are currently on the potential cutting block:

231 - Bullseye always seems to have the edge on accuracy in the 45acp for me.

HP-38 and 231 are the same, but HP-38 is cheaper.

I gave up on Unique. Don't like the way it meters, and it was dirty.

JoeDaddy
January 2, 2012, 09:16 PM
Blue dot is one I could not find a use for. Sucked in 45acp and with the warnings in 357 (and temp sensitivity) I finally just gave it to a fellow reloader.

Unique also got chopped, but only because out meters so poorly. Power pistol has filled uniques roll nicely.

cfullgraf
January 2, 2012, 09:26 PM
IMR 3031 never lit my life on fire. Other powders worked better for me.

IMR 4895, well, i use it when I can't buy H4895. I like H4895 better.

2400 always left unburned, or partially burned, powder grains in my 357 Mag chamber, W296 worked better. I also use W296 in .410 bore. I would use H110 if W296 was not available. Same powder.

Clays. I bought it for some shotgun loads but am learning to not like it. Trying to use up what I have but it is difficult.

Bullseye is ok but i prefer slower powders. I have not bought any Bullseye in decades.

W231 is the same except it shoots the best in my M642. Oh, well. So, I use it my 148 wadcutter loads to keep it flowing through my inventory.

Lil Gun, not impressed with it. I have a brass cased .410 load that it works ok in but once my pound is gone, I will not replace it.

ReloaderFred
January 2, 2012, 09:28 PM
I dumped Unique years ago simply because it metered like corn flakes and none of my 5 powder measures would drop consistantly with it.

Hope this helps.

Fred

esheato
January 2, 2012, 09:30 PM
I might get banished for saying this, but I've never had good luck with 231 and I might have a half pound in the garage from 10 years ago.

Also the Clays series. Never found a place for 'em.

zxcvbob
January 2, 2012, 09:32 PM
Blue Dot and Titegroup.

I did finally find one load that I liked using BD (.45 Colt +P) but I didn't like it enough to buy it again. I haven't found any good uses for TG.

Para Cassatt
January 2, 2012, 09:38 PM
I wasn't impressed my first few times using Herco but I may try again to use it up or trade it.

oldfortyfiveauto
January 2, 2012, 09:56 PM
H335....haven't got a rifle to shoot well with it yet.

gamestalker
January 2, 2012, 10:35 PM
This is a good and useful topic.

* IMR-4756- I always had problems managing pressures with it, not enough and suddenly too much.
* H110/296- I love both for all of my magnum revolver loads, so I buy the one that's less expnsive or on sale
*Red Dot- I use it for shotshell when clay shooting, but it's too fast burning for my metalic loads.
*Blue Dot- It's one of my heavy shotshell powder's now, but I used to load 44 mag. with it many years ago.
*IMR-4350- I still like it for .270 win. if I'm unable to find RL19
*RL19-This is my go to powder for .270 Win.
*Longshot- It is one of my favorite powder's for 38 spcl., 9mm & .40 S&W. I also like this powder for my hutning shotshell loads where higher velocity is much needed, pheasant loads & turkey loads
*HS6-Also one of my favorite powder's for 38 spcl., 9mm, and .40
*H1000-This is a powder I wrote off a long time ago for .270 win. It was just too fast burning and spikey.
*Green Dot- I once loaded shotshells with it, but I'll never use it again since I tried Red Dot 25 yrs. ago
*Herco- This is still a powder I like for dove and quail loads
*RL22- This powder is a miracle powder for the 7mm RM because it delivers velocity and accuracy in one dose, very little work has been needed to get what I want.
I'm sure I missed some of the one's I no longer use.

LeonCarr
January 2, 2012, 10:35 PM
Dropped Unique like a dirty shirt when I discovered Universal Clays. Same level of performance, much cleaner burning, meters much better, and doesn't glue itself to the inside of your powder measure.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

oldfortyfiveauto
January 2, 2012, 10:42 PM
I find all the comments on Unique interesting as I've not had any real issues with it. I'm very happy using it in a number of handgun loads and in my 28ga shotguns.

BBDartCA
January 2, 2012, 10:55 PM
Thats quite a list you have there Peter!

Giving up IMR4831 in favor of IMR4350. 4350 for me works from 150g to 200g. 4831 too slow for light bullets and I never shoot >200gr.

Getting ready to dump W748. Too position sensitive in big cases. A little dirty. A little weather sensitive. Needs mag primers. IMR4895 works better.

Was going to dump AA#9 due to consistent unburnt poweder mess in 357/44 mag. But after I started using a heavy crimp, its now a lot cleaner. But is a leaker in my Lee PPM.

Also working on an alternative to Power Pistol as the fireworks show is annoying.

bluetopper
January 2, 2012, 10:59 PM
Yes, try Universal Clays and you'll never buy Unique again.

Clays- I've experimented with it extensively in many different handgun calibers. It's waaay to spikey to use in anything except 38 Spl. and 45acp. In those low pressure calibers it performs very well.....but I won't buy anymore.

H110/296-It's good if you have plenty of magnum primers and want max loads 100% of the time, but I like a more versatile powder. My go to magnum handgun powder now is Accurate 4100, it's wonderful.

They can brag about em.....but they still haven't outperformed Bullseye.

cfullgraf
January 2, 2012, 11:00 PM
I find all the comments on Unique interesting as I've not had any real issues with it. I'm very happy using it in a number of handgun loads and in my 28ga shotguns.

Me, too, but add 20 gauge as well.

Unique is, well, unique. Meters well for me.

orionengnr
January 2, 2012, 11:05 PM
I still have "most of" a pound of Red Dot, "most of" a pound of Unique and "about half of" a pound of Bullseye.

Not sure I have "given up" on any of them, but not sure I will ever buy any more of any of them, unless I find a load where they excell.

I load for .380, 9mm, .38/.357, 10mm, .41 Mag, .45acp, .45LC. I have not been able to find loads for any of those cartridges using Red Dot, Unique or Bullseye that offer any advantages over the other powders I use.

bergmen
January 2, 2012, 11:28 PM
I have only used four powders for the past couple of decades, all Winchester.

W748 for the 30-30, .308 and 7.62 X 51.

W760 for the 30-06 and .300WSM.

W231 for the .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, .38 Special (including +P), 9mm, 45 ACP and .45 Colt (light loads).

W296 for .357 Magnum, .45 Colt (flamethrowers) and .454 Casull.

No need for any other powder.

Dan

Waywatcher
January 2, 2012, 11:52 PM
This is a good and useful topic.

Definitely. I was looking into trying new powders for .38 +P and I like to see first hand real honest reviews.

Unique--Dirty, hot burning, dirty, poor metering, dirty powder. It also burns very hot, exacerbates leading, and did I mention it's dirty?
Bullseye--Too dense a powder, way too easily double chargeable. Made me ultra paranoid. Trail Boss works much, much better for me in .38 Spl with lead. And I can sleep at night after loading with it.
AA #9--Too much conflicting data; one manual's max is below another's min, some say magnum primers req'd, others say magnum primers are verboten, etc. 2400 works better for me.
Varget--Too slow burning for .223 (except 75+ grain), and meters rather poorly. Benchmark, Tac and H4895 work much better for me.

35 Whelen
January 3, 2012, 12:19 AM
Interesting post to say the least! I can't say I've ever given up on any powder. When I buy powder, I know specifically the purpose/cartridge for which I'm buying it, so usually there's no disappointments.

But some observations from the previous posts:

H335....haven't got a rifle to shoot well with it yet.

I seem to remember this as being a favorite in the benchrest community...?

2400 always left unburned, or partially burned, powder grains in my 357 Mag chamber

Try a heavier crimp and/or a hotter primer.

I find all the comments on Unique interesting as I've not had any real issues with it.

Same here. Been using it for ages in my 45 ACP and when I got into bullet casting for rifles, found it to be excellent in cartridges like the 303 Brit.

Getting ready to dump W748. Too position sensitive in big cases. A little dirty. A little weather sensitive. Needs mag primers. IMR4895 works better.

It is indeed temperature sensitive. This because it's a double base powder. I found long ago that WW760 is temp sensitive too as are pretty much all spherical (read double-based) powders. If you want powder that's temp INsensitive, you have to stick with single-base powders such as Hodgdon's extreme line.

Unique--Dirty, hot burning, dirty, poor metering, dirty powder. It also burns very hot, exacerbates leading, and did I mention it's dirty?

I don't see this. Maybe with the older Unique? Or maybe we have differing definitions of dirty.

Was going to dump AA#9 due to consistent unburnt poweder mess in 357/44 mag. But after I started using a heavy crimp, its now a lot cleaner. But is a leaker in my Lee PPM.

Powder leaking out of a measure is not the powders fault! I use LOTS of AA#7 which is the consistence of very fine sand and it doesn't leak out of my old Lyman #55 measure or my RCBS Uniflow.

35W

J_McLeod
January 3, 2012, 12:20 AM
Since we're doing powder reviews now, I'll add more.

HS-6: My favorite pistol powder. Accurate, easy shooting, and brings power. After trying it, the only reason I keep HP-38 is for .380.

HP-38: Works for .380 and light 9mm loads.

Varget: Like the way it shoots, but not how it meters. Won't buy more.

fireman 9731
January 3, 2012, 12:25 AM
Wow, this is the only thread I have ever seen with any complaints about Varget. I love the stuff, it is great in my 22-250.

IMR 4198 didn't do much for me with my 45-70, IMR 3031 and Trail Boss seem to perform much better. Heck I can even use Varget for my 45-70, as long as I crimp heavily to get all the powder to burn.

If I had to choose only one powder for all my rifle loads, it would probably be IMR 3031. Or maybe Varget.

Waywatcher
January 3, 2012, 12:29 AM
I don't see this. Maybe with the older Unique? Or maybe we have differing definitions of dirty.

My use was only in .38 special with lead bullets, but it was at least 3x, maybe 4x or 5x dirtier than Trail Boss. As in, my revolver, after firing 50 rounds of unique, was much dirtier than it ever gets nowadays firing 150+ Trail Boss loads. Interior and exterior. When I started reloading, I poo-pooed the dirty comments and figured "I clean my guns," but it was just absurd; way dirtier than any factory ammo I've ever tried. (Even at 5.0 grains with a 158 lead, which is not 'lite')

One use for Unique that I found and consider it quite good at was loading some mild .44 magnums with jacketed bullets, loaded for the FIL. If I ever own a .44mag, It would probably be my go-to powder. (The full bore .44 mags are more than I care for.)

rjfunk
January 3, 2012, 12:46 AM
I've just started reloading this year and I'm done with RL22 in my 270Win already. Did great in summer, but once we dropped below freezing groups started to blow open. Now Using H4350 which is less temp sensitive.

Jim Watson
January 3, 2012, 12:50 AM
I tried hard to like AA2520 for .308 and heavy bullet .223 because it metered so well and gave good velocity. But Varget and Re15 gave better accuracy.

ArchAngelCD
January 3, 2012, 12:59 AM
I have given up on Clays. It shoots just fine in the .45 Auto and .38 Special but I find it very difficult to throw accurate charges especially with the very low charge weights called for in the .38 Special. Since W231 shoots just as well for me I'll stick with it over Clays.

I've also given up on Power Pistol. The excessive flash and boom are just not worth using it. I can do everything Power Pistol can do with HS-6 or even Longshot.

I'm actually moving away from IMR3031. I really only use it for the 30-30 and sometimes in the 45-70 but Leverevolution works better in the 30-30 and I like AA5744 in the 45-70. (or 4198)

kludge
January 3, 2012, 01:07 AM
+1 for Unique. Or should I say -1? I like the "meters like corn flakes" quote so I'll go with that. Also leaves too much filth and unburned powder, even near the top end of the data.

Yes, try Universal Clays and you'll never buy Unique again.

^this^

For me it was the other way 'round. I used Universal forever, and then during the shortage was forced to buy a pound of Unique. Never again. Man, that stuff is awful. No.7 is a MUCH better alternative to Universal in the stuff I load.

Bullseye is the other powder I'll never buy again. It's filthy stuff. No.2 instead. I'll continue to use it for cat fart loads in 125gr .38 SPL until it's gone, but that is going to take a long time. Yes, it's accurate

Sommerled
January 3, 2012, 01:14 AM
Stopped using Blue Dot for short barreled hand guns, lots of unburnt powder and failure to cycle. Perhaps I should have experimented more but I can't load at max charge due to damage long ago to my shooting hand.

PO2Hammer
January 3, 2012, 01:59 AM
I bought the obligatory pound of 'new cleaner burning' Unique. I tried it, didn't like it, won't be buying another. It should be a good emergency powder if I need one someday.

Now I'm back to 7625 for most handgun loads, Universal for anything else.

NuJudge
January 3, 2012, 06:03 AM
With as badly as 800X meters, how can you develop any love for it?

floydster
January 3, 2012, 10:21 AM
Never had any luck with Titegroup and cast bullets, and I shoot a lot of cast.

Damon555
January 3, 2012, 11:13 AM
I'm not sure how the metering problems with Unique occur. I've used it in an RCBS progressive, a Dillon progressive and a stand alone powder measure and never had one hiccup. Consistent charge weights were easy to accomplish also.

dbarnhart
January 3, 2012, 11:30 AM
For those of you who do not like Unique: I offer a free disposal service for your unwanted Unique for the price of shipping only. Just send me your unwanted Unique and I will take care of disposing of it properly. ;-)

336A
January 3, 2012, 11:36 AM
I've given up on W231 and H110/296. Due to all of the good things that folks have said I gave W231 a try in my S&W M10. I like the way it meters compared to Unique but that is it. I only shoot cast bullets in that revolver and I found it just as dirty as Unique. I also didn't like the recoil impulse of W231 comapred to Unique either. I found it was snappier probably due to it being a faster powder, and accuracy was not as good as my Unique load as well. I also find Unique a better fit for midrange loads for larger cartridges. I don't care what anyone says, if you shoot cast bullets any powder is going to leave your gun (handguns as I don't shoot cast bullets in my rifles) dirty. Yeah so Unique meters like corn flakes, it don't bother me one bit as I use a single stage press and hand weigh each powder charge from the trickler;)

H110/296 were given the boot as I don't need to shoot full power or heavy for caliber bullet loads all the time. It's just not that versatile of a powder, unless you load right up to the hilt, or use heavy bullets which is where it truly shines. I can get all of the performance I need from my .41 mag, and .44 mag with 2400 and standard weight bullets. By using 2400 it simplifies logistics as I only need to stock one kind of primer:) For the most part though I use Unique in the .41 mag unless I'm going to shoot a jacketed bullet then I'll use 2400. There ain't anything walking on the east coast that is going to stop a 210gr - 220gr cast bullet trucking along at 1100fps.

I only reload for my 30-30 anymore and like H322. Brian Pearce spoke highly of this powder in several articles that he's done on the 30-30 so I figured why not. I use the accuracy load that is listed in the Sierra manual for their 150gr bullet. I won't tell how well it shoots at the risk of being called a liar but it is superb in my rifle. That load left a couple of strangers jaws a-gape and frowning at the groups they were getting with they're expensive M1A SOCOM's:neener: They weren't sneering at me and my rifle after that either:cool:

Waywatcher
January 3, 2012, 12:00 PM
I don't care what anyone says, if you shoot cast bullets any powder is going to leave your gun (handguns as I don't shoot cast bullets in my rifles) dirty.

Try Trail Boss with cast bullets. It is about 4 times cleaner than unique, with zero leading, not even grey rings on the cylinder face.

336A
January 3, 2012, 12:07 PM
Try Trail Boss with cast bullets. It is about 4 times cleaner than unique, with zero leading, not even grey rings on the cylinder face.

Don't take this the wrong way as it is not a slight toward you in any way, but I have no use for Cowboy mouse fart loads, otherwise I would.

Waywatcher
January 3, 2012, 12:13 PM
No slight, niether do I. For .38 Spl 158 LRN, at Trail Boss "max" loads, it is equivalent to factory 158LRN. (~755fps) It also gives 100% case fill (but not compressed) at this velocity.

I loaded some .44 Mag with 240 LRN and Trail Boss for the FIL, and they are faster & heavier than a .45 ACP. (240 grain at ~900fps)

:)

USSR
January 3, 2012, 12:22 PM
All this talk about dirty this, and dirty that, what is this a ladies sewing circle?:D All powders have a optimal pressure range, and if you run them below that range, they will be dirty. And, if you are shooting lead bullets, a lot of the dirtyness is lube. I have not really given up on W296/H110, as I have always declined to use it. As a previous poster said: "It's just not that versatile of a powder...".

Don

mtrmn
January 3, 2012, 01:09 PM
Tried Universal Clays----never once found a load for any pistol caliber I shoot that would group anywhere NEAR Unique. Over the course of about a year, used a full pound in 45ACP, 9mm, 38Super, 38/357. None of my groups were more than just so-so. Loaded up some Unique and groups shrunk back down to normal. Gave my other pound away.

mtrmn
January 3, 2012, 01:11 PM
Damon555 wrote:
"I'm not sure how the metering problems with Unique occur. I've used it in an RCBS progressive, a Dillon progressive and a stand alone powder measure and never had one hiccup. Consistent charge weights were easy to accomplish also. "

My experience as well-no metering problems with Unique.

LordDunsany
January 3, 2012, 01:17 PM
I think the complaints with Unique stem from light, target-style loadings. When loaded to low pressure it tends to be smoky and somewhat dirty. I have found that it works much better near the max loadings. Burns cleaner and is very consistent. I use it a lot in 38 +P and 357 Mag loads.

My only non-goto powder is probably Bullseye, mainly due to its density and the danger of overcharging. I never use it in a case larger than 9mm or 38 Special. Metering is tricky at small drop weights, making for inconsistency. Have tried it, don't really like it.

Ron in Texas

USSR
January 3, 2012, 01:17 PM
Damon555 wrote:
"I'm not sure how the metering problems with Unique occur. I've used it in an RCBS progressive, a Dillon progressive and a stand alone powder measure and never had one hiccup. Consistent charge weights were easy to accomplish also. "

My experience as well-no metering problems with Unique.

+2, with a Redding Powder Measure.

Don

J_McLeod
January 3, 2012, 02:45 PM
For those of you who do not like Unique: I offer a free disposal service for your unwanted Unique for the price of shipping only. Just send me your unwanted Unique and I will take care of disposing of it properly. ;-)
I would have taken you up on this a few months ago. I'm in Tucson and got rid of 6900/7000 of a pound.

sugarmaker
January 3, 2012, 03:50 PM
Most of my experience with the "old school" powders, not as much with the newer.

4198 because it meters so poorly
H-570 (no longer made) it almost won't meter the grains are so big

Herco - I've got a 25 year old can, just doesn't get used
blue dot - (no use for pistols, very good for magnum shotshell)
red dot - (no use for pistols, AA shotshells it's "da one")
748 - good for magnum shotshell, not so good for pistol

Favorites:
2400 (best in the .44)
bullseye (light bullet .357 mag target loads)
Unique (I may try a newer substitute, it is a high flash powder)
Varget (full switch after the last 20 lbs of 4895B is gone)

GLOOB
January 3, 2012, 05:04 PM
I think the complaints with Unique stem from light, target-style loadings.
+1. Unique is a high performance powder in the "big 3" calibers. It hangs out near the top, if you stick to the books. If you want mouse farts, that's what HP38 is for.

I haven't given up on HP38. I just don't currently use it for anything. But I know it's there, and that I can load perfectly accurate mousefarts when I run out of Unique. I tried the min load in 40SW for giggles, and it recoils less than some of my 9mm loads.

BeerSleeper
January 3, 2012, 08:40 PM
I've got a part can of blue dot that I don't think I'll find a use for unless I start loading heavy shotgun.
It's too "moody" in pistol calibers. It's inconsistent if it's not loaded to the point of compression. Fantastic flash though, if that's what does it for ya.

cfullgraf
January 3, 2012, 09:25 PM
It is interesting how opinions are all over the map on powder likes and dislikes.

One person's ambrosia is another's poison.

wanderinwalker
January 3, 2012, 09:58 PM
Powders I probably won't be buying and using again:

Unique - what possessed me to buy a second pound of this stuff? Ugh! Meters horribly and leaves lots of soot and unburnt powder.

RL-7 - I used this when I had a .45-70. I tried it in .30-30 later and did not like it, it seems too fast-burning to match factory ammo.

Powders I might use again:

W-748 - this stuff meteres beautifully and gives great accuracy in 52gr .223 match loads. But very temperature sensitive

H-Universal – liked it in 9mm when loaded at max loads with 115gr bullets. Accurate and reliable. I tried it in .38 Special with 158gr SWCs and wasn't overwhelemed; unburned powder, it's possible accuracy was mediocre as well.

W296 – for full-tilt boogie flash, shock and awe .357 and .44 Magnums, this is THE answer. Just not useful for much else for me.

RL-15 – every bit the equal of Varget in my .223 loads, I just have an 8-lb jug of Varget instead.

Power Pistol – this one is fun for 9mm and .45 ACP full-power loads. Even worked well in .38 Special 158gr lead SWC loads.

Powders I will continue to use:

W-231 – my favorite for mild plinking .44 Magnum and .38 Special loads. Flows like water through my powder measure

H-Varget – if heavy bullet .223 loads are the question, this is the powder for me. Still haven't tried it in .30-30 yet, but suspect it will work

Alliant 2400 – since I tried this, I find I prefer its flexibility instead of W296

H4895 – works great in my .30-30, though this might move to my “might use again” list if I try Varget in those loads instead

And I just realized I forgot to add H4350 to that list. Not sure where it fits, as I don't own anything it is suitable for at the moment. Worked great in my .260 Remington with 125gr Partitions.

AFK
January 3, 2012, 10:07 PM
I will always use W231/HP38 for .45 ACP, Titegroup for 9mm, Bullseye for .38 Special. I am just starting to play with Clays for 12 gauge. I tried and didn't like Blue Dot for anything. I also just worked up some loads for 380 Auto with TG, W231, and Bullseye, we'll see what happens.

bergmen
January 3, 2012, 11:29 PM
I notice a few comments regarding the "temperature sensitivity" of W748. I am (and have been) using this powder for years with what I saw was success.

What happens to make this (and any other powder for that matter) "temperature sensitive" and how does that adversely effect performance?

Dan

35 Whelen
January 3, 2012, 11:46 PM
I notice a few comments regarding the "temperature sensitivity" of W748. I am (and have been) using this powder for years with what I saw was success.

What happens to make this (and any other powder for that matter) "temperature sensitive" and how does that adversely effect performance?

Dan

A powder being temperature sensitive doesn't necessarily make your loads without success. Temperature sensitivity can cause two problems: If you work your loads up in warm weather, in cold weather velocity will likely drop. I learned this years ago when loading for my 257 AI using WW760. I worked the loads upm chronographing them, during mild fall weather. Then during the winter on a 20 morning, shot and chronographed the load again. While the load still shot accurately, the velocity had dropped 200 fps.

Conversely, if you work your load up in mild weather then shoot in hot weather, or your cartridges get hot, chamber pressure may increase.

Temperature sensitivity is something that occurs primarily with double-base powders and to my knowledge, all spherical powders (i.e.- WW748, WW760, H380. et al) are double base.

As I said in a previous post, check out Hodgdons Extrme Line of powders. You'll find their clain to fame is their insensitivity to temperature AND that their all single base powders.

748 - good for magnum shotshell, not so good for pistol

Dude, you got your numbers mixed up. 748 IS NOT a shotgun powder and only a pistol powder if you shoot centerfire rifle cartridges out of a handgun.

35W

noylj
January 4, 2012, 04:16 AM
TiteGroup: not accurate in any of my guns tested to date. Burns HOT.
Power Pistol: some accurate loads, but the lot I have clumps up in the powder measure and is difficult to work with.
Bullseye: May try some more some day, but when I tried it 35 years ago, none of my .45s or .38s shot well with it.
Clays: Very spikey pressure. Too sensitive. OK to very good in light .45ACP loads.

Powders I like:
AA2: very accurate in my .45s and .38 Special Wadcutters. Very good accuracy in light target loads in other cartridges.
AA5: One of the most accurate powders I have found for mid-range 9x19, .38 Super, and .40 S&W. Really shines in terms of accuracy in .40S&W.
Silhouette: Very accurate in .38 Super and .40S&W and works well from light to full-power.
2400: Very accurate in .44RemMag and .45WinMag
Red Dot: Always somewhere between #1 and #3 for accuracy for light to mid-range loads. No pressure spikes. Well behaved.
Unique: I believe that 6.0gn of Unique has been accurate in some 9x19, .38 Super, .40 S&W, and .45ACP loads. Very good with all standard weight .45ACP bullets.

One78Shovel
January 4, 2012, 07:39 AM
I am of the school to limit various brands of powder. Having multiple powder dispensers, or dumping the same between loads, is just more of a PIA not to mention is another gotcha in a chain of events to a bad day.

I have found instead of chasing the pie in the sky, find a powder that fits the bill from 9mm-45ACP. As a result, I could never find a reason to dump Universal Clays. It just does all those calibers (for me) just perfect. One size fits all.

For rifle however, I have only used H335 for 223 and IMR-4064 for my Garand.

-178S

Master Blaster
January 4, 2012, 08:20 AM
Two powders on the dumper list:

Universal clays, and Titegroup, poor accuracy with both powders and excessive leading with cast bullets. Titegroup is good for .32 acp and .380 as it fills the cases most of the way, and I am shooting jacketed bullets only.

Unique is a go to powder for midrange jacketed loads in .44 magnum and .357 magnum, and 9mm, .45 acp full power jacketed loads. I get excellent metering and accuracy from my two dillon measures with unique.

gilgsn
January 4, 2012, 05:41 PM
Unique. Works great in the .45 Colt, and I don't care that it's dirty, but it meters poorly. .
Next, I will try 2400 and Blue Dot.

SlamFire1
January 4, 2012, 06:25 PM
I have given up on Blue Dot. Tried it in the 9mm, 38 Spl, 45 LC, 45 ACP, 357 and 44 Mag.

Does not work well at low pressures, horrible extreme spreads on velocity. In the magnum calibers, with magnum loads, it leaded badly. Works fine with jacketed bullets and magnum loads.

2400 is far more flexible.

I really don't like the ball powders AA#5 and AA#9. They shoot well enough but the little powder balls roll out between the Dillion 550B powder bar and horn and make a mess.

The theory that metering better is somehow better on target does not show up over the chronograph. Unique, that horrible, dirty, big flaked powder :rolleyes:, gives me Standard Deviations and Extreme Spreads less than or equal to what I get with AA#5.

For pistols, I will stay with Bullseye, Unique, 2400. You can keep the rest. ;)

Kimber Custom Classic

230 LRN Valiant 5.5 grs Unique lot UN331 1989 Mixed brass WLP (brass)
16-May-09 high 83 F OAL 1.250" taper crimped 0.469"
Ave Vel = 827.4
Std Dev = 17.63
ES = 85.68
High = 871.6
Low = 785.9
N = 31

230 LRN Valiant 6.0 grs Unique lot 6/21/1998 Mixed brass WLP (nickle)
Ave Vel = 885
Std Dev = 16.79
ES = 67.26
High = 917.8
Low = 850.5
N = 30
strong recoil 15' foot ejection

230 LRN Valiant 6.5 grs Unique lot UN387 6/21/93 Mixed brass WLP
18-Mar-07 T = 62 F OAL 1.250" taper crimped 0.469"
Ave Vel = 926.4
Std Dev = 16.64
ES = 71.16
High = 963.4
Low = 892.3
N = 32
light leading accurate centered hard recoil
20 foot ejection

230 LRN 7.0 grs AA#5 lot 12599 WLP Mixed Military OAL 1.245" taper crimp 0.469"
27 Feb 2010 T = 48 F

Ave Vel = 788 fps
Std Dev = 17
ES = 76.3
High = 827.5
Low = 751.2
N = 13

230 LRN 7.5 grs AA#5 lot 12599 WLP Mixed Military OAL 1.245" taper crimp 0.469"
27 Feb 2010 T = 48 F

Ave Vel = 829 fps
Std Dev = 20
ES = 63
High = 863
Low = 800

230 LRN Valiant 7.8 grs AA#5 lot 12599 Mixed brass WLP (brass)
Ave Vel = 874.7
Std Dev = 16.3
ES = 78.33
High = 916.4
Low = 838
N = 30

230 LRN Valiant 8.0 grs AA#5 lot 12599 Mixed brass WLP (brass)
Ave Vel = 890.2
Std Dev = 11.48
ES = 40.44
High = 911.8
Low = 871.4
N = 16

230 FMJ (R-P) 7.8 grs AA#5 lot DM Speer Once fired WLP (brass)
12-Dec-11 T =53 F OAL 1.250" taper crimped 0.469"

Ave Vel = 847.1
Std Dev = 19.59
ES = 86.17
High = 877.2
Low = 791.1
N = 14

Accurate but high.

918v
January 4, 2012, 06:44 PM
I need to stop giving up on powders. I give them away and then return to them years later. Then I think why the hell did I give them away?

918v
January 4, 2012, 06:48 PM
I have given up on Blue Dot. Tried it in the 9mm, 38 Spl, 45 LC, 45 ACP, 357 and 44 Mag.

Try it with reduced loads in any bottlenecked rifle caliber. It will shoot half MOA from 1500-2000 FPS, with a 60%+ load density.

hogcowboy
January 4, 2012, 07:18 PM
Blue Dot is on my chopped list. Too much unburned powder. But then I might be unique cause I like Unique too.

zxcvbob
January 4, 2012, 08:28 PM
Blue Dot is on my chopped list. Too much unburned powder. But then I might be unique cause I like Unique too.

Unique is worth having just for loading .380. Everything else it does is gravy.

ZeSpectre
January 4, 2012, 08:49 PM
I like Unique too. I've worked up reliable loads in .38 special, .40 S&W, and 9mm. I've also worked up a fantastic 10mm load with Blue Dot but hot 10mm seems to be about all that Blue Dot is good for.

When I use up the Varget I have I won't get more, can't get a good .223 or .243 load out of it. I couldn't get accuracy out of Titegroup either though to be fair I didn't experiment very much with that one.

bergmen
January 5, 2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks 35 Whelen (neat caliber by the way).

Now you have me curious. I chronographed this load awhile ago out of my X-Bolt in moderate temperatures and have the data (extremely consistent results):

-2843 fps
-2843 fps
-2847 fps
-2852 fps
-2862 fps

Average = 2849 fps

It is cold now (35 F at dawn, mid 60's at noon) and I should go out and chrono these at various temperatures to see what goes. I loaded these at around mid-day so it was around 65 F or so in the garage at the time.

Thanks again.

Dan

627PCFan
January 5, 2012, 11:55 AM
H-4831, never gave anything decent in my 7mm or 6.5x55. Both liked IMR 4831 for whatever reason. Got rid of red dot in my 12 gauge because I got tired of cleaning unburned red dots out of the action. Gave up on longshot for the 12 because its just too loud and shredded wads/blew patterns.

btg3
January 5, 2012, 12:26 PM
CLAYS has worked very nicely for my 7/8oz reduced loads in 12ga.

(Great thread! All info is much appreciated!)

Stormin.40
January 5, 2012, 12:40 PM
Once I use up my lb of Titegroup I won't go back. I hated it in .40 but it is okay in .38 special so I will use it up on my hotter plated bullets loads, Trailboss goes to work on my lead .38 special plinking loads.

HS-6 is my goto powder in .40 it's good to see others like it too. When I started working with it it shot dirty for me, these loads were at lower pressures but still cycled well. Once I found out that it likes a little more pressure and hotter loads I increased the charge a couple of tenths of a grain and it is now one of my cleanest buring powders even with lead!

Great thread, even though ones man's trash is another man's treasure it is good to see everyone's reason for not using powders.

USSR
January 5, 2012, 01:54 PM
H-4831, never gave anything decent...

+1. Doesn't even come close to RL22 in velocity with heavy bullets in my .30-06.

Don

highbrow
January 5, 2012, 02:55 PM
BLC-2. Never could get good accuracy with it. Wolf primers wouldn't always lite it up.

joed
January 5, 2012, 07:26 PM
The only powder I ever hated enough to quit using was Unique. When I hand measured every load it was decent. But when I started using a powder measure that all changed. It would meter fine for a while then throw under charges. Luckily I never got an over charge.

When I mention this problem to others they don't agree. Dillon even has a warning in their manual about flake powders.

35 Whelen
January 5, 2012, 07:35 PM
I've found the key to uniform metering of powder is to keep a constant level in your dispenser/measure. I totally agree that some powders meter more uniformly over a large variation of quantity in the hopper, but keep the level fairly constant on powder such as Unique, and your charges should be reasonably close.

35W

R.W.Dale
January 5, 2012, 08:12 PM
I've found the key to uniform metering of powder is to keep a constant level in your dispenser/measure. I totally agree that some powders meter more uniformly over a large variation of quantity in the hopper, but keep the level fairly constant on powder such as Unique, and your charges should be reasonably close.

35W

Very good advice.

What I do to maintain 100% even and constant weight of the powder column is I place a simple automotive funnel on top of my uniflow and fill it with powder till the it fills the measure and the funnel.

As an amount of powder is dispensed that same amount flows out of the funnel. The sides of the chamber carry the variable weight of the funnel.

posted via tapatalk using android.

flightsimmer
January 5, 2012, 09:17 PM
Very good advice.

What I do to maintain 100% even and constant weight of the powder column is I place a simple automotive funnel on top of my uniflow and fill it with powder till the it fills the measure and the funnel.

As an amount of powder is dispensed that same amount flows out of the funnel. The sides of the chamber carry the variable weight of the funnel.

Yeah, that's what I've been doing. The funnel works great.

35 Whelen
January 5, 2012, 09:20 PM

Great idea. I use an RCBS Uniflow and I think RCBS makes a baffle for it, although I don't have one.

35W

R.W.Dale
January 5, 2012, 09:22 PM
Great idea. I use an RCBS Uniflow and I think RCBS makes a baffle for it, although I don't have one.

35W

Neither do I

Clark
January 5, 2012, 09:48 PM
I don't use much of what I have. I stopped the LIL'GUN in 357 mag, because it did not smell as good as H110.

Red Dot
Bullseye.... I use it in 45/70
Herter's 164
SR7625
Unique
AA#5
Power Pistol.... I use it 25acp, 32acp, 380, 9mm, 9x23, 7.62x25
HS-6
Blue Dot.... I use in in 223
3N37
800-X... I use in in 40sw and 10
AA#7
N105
Long Shot
STEEL
Enforcer
AA#9
N110
H110..... I use it in 38sp, 357mag, 44mag, 45Colt
W296
LIL'GUN... I use it in 32 S&W Long

XMP5744
RL-7
V-133
AA2200
IMR3031
RL-10
W748... I use it in 30-30, 25-35
H335
RL-12
H4895.... I use it in 260
IMR4895
Norma 203
RL-15
Varget
H414
Re17
H4350.. I use it in 270 and 7mmRM
IMR4350
H4831SC
Re22

gofastman
January 5, 2012, 09:52 PM
Unique...
Jack of all trades, master of none.
(for the calibers I reload for :uhoh:)

BBDartCA
January 6, 2012, 12:36 AM

Dan

The concept of hang fire can apply to 748 in cold temps. For example, a couple days ago in 40 degree temps, I got the infamous "click .... bang" with 748 in my Garand. Pull the trigger, hammer strikes primer .. count to one thousand one ... then the gun goes bang. Needless to say, this does not lend itself to great accuracy. Situation does not exist when its 80 outside. Hot magnum primers help lessen the hang fire problem, but the physics related cold weather are not resolved with hotter spark plugs. Physics being 748 has a high ignition temperature due to geometry and chemistry.

Ukiah ... was just hunting down there a few months ago.

BBDartCA
January 6, 2012, 01:10 AM
Completing my thought ... 748 is a cold burning powder with a high ignition temperature. As the ambient temperature gets lower, its harder to ignite. The benefit of the low flame temperature is reduced barrel and component wear. I believe polyester adipate or nitramide is the retarder, so to speak, to keep down flame temperature / inhibit ignition.

bergmen
January 6, 2012, 11:22 AM
Wow, this is just great stuff (on the W748). Frustratingly, my loads are intended to be eventual hunting loads - in cold weather, of course.

It is disturbing that this information is not readily indicated in the glossy reloading manuals. I have always been botherd by the fact that most manuals (with the one exception of Hodgdon) are published by - bullet - manufacturers, not powder manufacturers or suppliers. I am much more likely to stabilize on powder choices and go all over the place on bullets.

Bullets evolve and change on what seems like a monthly basis, powders have been stable (generally) for decades. It bugs the crap out of me to go to a manual to try to find a W231 load for a particular bullet, and it isn't even listed in the load tables, in a caliber that is perfect for W231 (9mm, .38 special). Nolser doesn't even list loads for W748 for .308 in their fifth edition manual for bullets heavier than 125 grains. I don't hunt with anything less than 150 grain bullets, do they want me to buy their bullets or not?

Is there a definitive, trustworthy, accurate resource for the fine points of powder choices other than the bullet books? Actual experience as has been expressed here is extremely valuable to me but being an engineer, researched data is a good thing.

BTW, where in Ukiah were you hunting (BLM, Mendocino National forest)? For deer? Just curious.

Dan

USSR
January 6, 2012, 12:35 PM
Is there a definitive, trustworthy, accurate resource for the fine points of powder choices other than the bullet books?

IMHO, perhaps the finest single source of load data containing various manufacturers powders and bullets, is the Lyman 49th Edition Manual.

Don

zxcvbob
January 6, 2012, 12:46 PM
That's new info to me too about 748. Maybe 4895 or AA2495 might be better in cold weather? What about Reloder 12? I have several pounds of it.

bergmen
January 6, 2012, 01:08 PM
IMHO, perhaps the finest single source of load data containing various manufacturers powders and bullets, is the Lyman 49th Edition Manual.

Don

Excellent, I will order one right away (the only Lyman manual I have is older than dirt).

Thanks!

Dan

SlamFire1
January 6, 2012, 05:21 PM
I think it is the coatings on ball powders, but they are very hard to ignite in cold weather. Which is why military primers are closer to magnum primers than to standard primers.

I conducted load testing in my 35 Whelen in cold weather and had horrible hangfires with AA2520, a ball powder. When the powder ignited, the period of combustion was longer than normal. As if the powder was igniting in the barrel.

I found stick powders to be better, and in my opinion, IMR 3031 the best IMR powder for the 35 Whelen.

nastynatesfish
January 7, 2012, 11:19 AM
Hodgdons superformance.
I'm giving up on it before even starting.

wanderinwalker
January 7, 2012, 11:52 AM
:
The concept of hang fire can apply to 748 in cold temps. For example, a couple days ago in 40 degree temps, I got the infamous "click .... bang" with 748 in my Garand. Pull the trigger, hammer strikes primer .. count to one thousand one ... then the gun goes bang. Needless to say, this does not lend itself to great accuracy. Situation does not exist when its 80 outside. Hot magnum primers help lessen the hang fire problem, but the physics related cold weather are not resolved with hotter spark plugs. Physics being 748 has a high ignition temperature due to geometry and chemistry.

Ukiah ... was just hunting down there a few months ago.

Hmmm... I've never experienced a 748 hangfire at 40 degrees. And that's just not that cold. But maybe because I use it primarily in .223, so the charge weights just aren't very high like in a .30-06 case. To be fair, I can't remember if I tried my 748-.30/30 loads in freezing temperatures. (Scratch that, I did spend a day last winter ringing the 200 yard gong with the .30-30 running some 748 loads. Again, not as much powder to ignite as in the '06, but I was using standard primers.)

I like to use 748 in .223 with 52gr match bullets (and magnum CCI primers) for 100-yard practice in the winter. I'll do this with temperatures down into the 20s.

My 748 temperature-sensitivity experience went the other way: I started piercing primers in .223 loads when over 80* in July. They weren't even very hot loads, I think 69s at 2600-2700 fps from my 20" AR. Switched to Varget stick powder and haven't looked back; consistent from sub-freezing at home to 100+ at Perry and more velocity.

BBDartCA
January 7, 2012, 12:44 PM
wanderinwalker, weight and case fill could be something to do with it. You were probably running 33 ... 37g in the 30-30. I was running 50.5g and the case fill was not near complete. Perhaps position sensitive too. Certain hot primers covered up the problem while other mags did not. I still have some rounds sitting around. Maybe I'll video tape it.

wanderinwalker
January 8, 2012, 09:28 AM
wanderinwalker, weight and case fill could be something to do with it. You were probably running 33 ... 37g in the 30-30. I was running 50.5g and the case fill was not near complete. Perhaps position sensitive too. Certain hot primers covered up the problem while other mags did not. I still have some rounds sitting around. Maybe I'll video tape it.
Sorry, I didn't mean that to come off as doubting your results. I just thought it was interesting. And yes, I had visions of a charge of 748 basically "getting lost" inside a .30-06 sized case after thinking about it. It does sound like a case-fill and powder position difference. If I remember right, my .30-30 loads were right around 35gr of 748.

Peter M. Eick
January 8, 2012, 05:22 PM
What strikes me in this thread is that it has to do with the techniques you use loading and your calibers. Powders are not good nor bad, just some don't work with our technique or our calibers. I shoot a lot of 38 caliber lead loads. Unique works well for that. Lil-gun (for example) is real hot and leads a bunch. oould I fix the problem? Probably with some change but why?

atvalaska
January 10, 2012, 04:39 PM
i tossed out blue dot......w296 is fast in my .44 but dirty ...still in the air

WVRJ
January 10, 2012, 10:15 PM
I've been trying to limit the number of powders I use.Varget does well in .204,.223,.308 and.35 Rem.4350 is good in .25-06,.280,.300 Win mag.2400 works good in the heavy 44 loads.Most of my loading is done with these 3 powders and they do very good.748 and 760 have proven time and time again to be somewhat fickle in most of my experience,I have some of each on hand,but when they're used up,they hain't a-gonna be no more.Powders are like women-some are wonderful and trustworthy,others are dangerous.The fun's in tryin to figure which ones are which.

Watergoat
January 11, 2012, 12:58 AM
One of the most interesting and informative threads I have ever seen on the net. I find it odd that no one has mentioned WST and WSF. My go-to powders in 9, 40, and 45 lead loads. Now, if I could find a use, or better yet a sale, for the cans and cans of powder that never gets used anymore. H450, H870, Herco, various Alcan numbers, W630, W680, it goes on and on.............

zxcvbob
January 11, 2012, 01:18 AM
One of the most interesting and informative threads I have ever seen on the net. I find it odd that no one has mentioned WST and WSF. My go-to powders in 9, 40, and 45 lead loads. Now, if I could find a use, or better yet a sale, for the cans and cans of powder that never gets used anymore. H450, H870, Herco, various Alcan numbers, W630, W680, it goes on and on.............

If you're using WSF in .45 ACP, you should be able to use Herco in the same loads. It will fill the cases more but other than that will be almost identical. (it's too bulky to effectively use in 9mm, I don't know about .40)

243winxb
January 11, 2012, 08:33 AM
H450 Hodgdon gave up on it also. Discontinued. H380 should follow. IMO.

gilgsn
January 11, 2012, 08:36 AM
Anybody has had a good experience with Blue Dot?
I am thinking about the .45 Colt...

USSR
January 11, 2012, 09:37 AM

I have had good luck with 2400 with the .45 Colt.

Don

bergmen
January 11, 2012, 11:40 AM
I've been trying to limit the number of powders I use.Varget does well in .204,.223,.308 and.35 Rem.4350 is good in .25-06,.280,.300 Win mag.2400 works good in the heavy 44 loads.Most of my loading is done with these 3 powders and they do very good.748 and 760 have proven time and time again to be somewhat fickle in most of my experience,I have some of each on hand,but when they're used up,they hain't a-gonna be no more.Powders are like women-some are wonderful and trustworthy,others are dangerous.The fun's in tryin to figure which ones are which.

I'm still fiddle-dinking around with W748 (as mentioned in earlier posts). Zero problems to date in both of my 30-30's but they are not considered tack drivers, just medium range brush hunters and can bouncing plinkers. I was looking towards it for .308 in my Browning X-Bolt but the jury is still out on that one. Also for my M1A loads that I am still studying before cranking the handle.

OTOH, W760 has been stellar in my Browning A-Bolt in .300 WSM, extremely consistent and breathtaking, reliable accuracy (I can cover three holes at 100 yards with a quarter, and not just once). I truly never knew a rifle could be so incredibly accurate. I don't have a hunting role for this rifle anymore but it will live in my safe forever because of this amazing performance.

So, who knows. I may dump W748 after all and go hunting for a good, reliable, consistent powder for the 30-30, .308 and 7.62.

Dan

zxcvbob
January 11, 2012, 11:45 AM

Yes. .45 Colt +P is the only thing I found that Blue Dot was good for. I was using 255 grain cast bullets.

zeke
January 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
"Great idea. I use an RCBS Uniflow and I think RCBS makes a baffle for it, although I don't have one."

Powder baffles work, can't believe everyone doen't use them?

748 usually appreciates magnum primers, and am using CCI 34's, which produce higher velocitys than the Fed 215's in the 308 loadings tried. Am shooting in temps down to 10-20 degrees up here, no hangfires yet. Use it in 223 (rem 7 1/2 pimer), 30-30 (standard primer), 307, 300 savage and 308. Mostly it fills up the case in these calibers. It may be faster burning than desired in 30-06, especially if loading at 30-06 military semi-auto pressure levels. On the other hand, am not in hot weather country.

Have quit buying the following powders, but that doesn't mean they aren't good powders or wouldn't fufill other's purposes.

Bullseye-never got the accuarcy from it, too fine/fast.
AA-2-see above
2400-didn't suit my purposes, but am not a moderate to heavy velocity cast bullet loader.
imr-3031-had to individually weigh charges, but produced ex accuracy and velocitys in some loadings
Lil-gun-unless i can find some more Speer 170 jfps for the 357 carbine. It produced very rapid top strap erosion in Ruger 32 mag .
AA-5-use V V powders instead
titegroup-too fast, too fine, too hot

Will never quit buying unique, 231/hp38, 748, rl 22, h4350, h4198, vv-n350, vv-n110, 1680

chrt396
January 11, 2012, 01:29 PM
Ya know...all the powders will fire a bullet with reasonable accuracy...however the ones that I have settled on that are the best in MY guns are : Tite Group & Bullseye for .45, Tite Group for 9mm AA#5 for .40 cal, 2400 for .357 magnum, Varget & Imr 4064 for ..223 and .308.

The powders that are left in the cabinet..not being used are IMR4895, Power Pistol, Blue Dot, W231 & HP38
The ones in the cabinet that I use sporadically are: AA#2, AA#7, AA#9, WSF, N320, N310 & N350.

I'm trying to thin out my powder selection and get it to the point where I can use just a handfull of powders instead of having such a big inventoey.

chrt396
January 11, 2012, 01:32 PM
I've had good luck with WSF in 45 & 40 cals. Pretty accurate stuff!! Tite group soes just as well..plus I bought some in large quantities. If I ran out of Tite Group..WSF would be a great substitute.

Peter M. Eick
January 11, 2012, 09:06 PM
Blue Dot works great in 10mm with 180 grn JHP's. Excellent combination. As I remember about 10 grns gives me 2" 50 yrd groups.

noylj
January 12, 2012, 12:52 AM
Blue Dot: Speer 100 JHP/9.6gn Blue Dot/Compressed load/1495 fps/no pressure signs from primer, recoil, of case expansion. Just couldn't put more powder in the case.

AA2: Still my most accurate powder for light (<850 fps) target loads in .38 Special Wadcutter, .45ACP, and .40S&W

AA5: Still my most accurate powder for mid-range (<1050fps) load in .40 S&W, .38 Super, 9x21, and 9x19.

Silhouette: Still my most accurate powder for above mid-range load in 9x19, 9x21, .38 Super, and .40 S&W.

2400: Still my most accurate powder for .44 Rem Mag, .357 Mag, and .45 Win Mag.

Ky Larry
January 13, 2012, 01:42 AM
1. Unique. The old 'Flaming Dirt" was the nastiest stuff I've ever shot. The "New, Improved, Cleaner Burning" Unique is the second nastiest stuff I have ever shot.

2. Varget. It's okay but thats all it is. It shoot pretty good but I haven't found it to be better than my old stand-bys for accuracy. For example, AA-2460 shoots better in .223, IMR-4350 shoots better in my .243, IMR-3031 shoots better in my .22-250, etc.

3. IMR-4007 SSC. Same as Varget.

4. Win 760. I could never get it to shoot any better than so-so in .30-06. Went back to Re-19.

5. H335. See 2 above.

BBDartCA
January 13, 2012, 01:56 AM
1. Unique. The old 'Flaming Dirt" was the nastiest stuff I've ever shot. The "New, Improved, Cleaner Burning" Unique is the second nastiest stuff I have ever shot.

:D Thats funny!

Kosh75287
January 23, 2012, 11:28 AM
Green Dot. Not as versatile as Unique, not as economical as Bullseye. It must do wondrous things in shotguns, but I never noticed it doing much that appealed to me in pistols.

jolly roger
January 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
Excellent ones

231 for target 38, 9, and 45 cast bullets
HS6 for full power 9mm and 45
Universal Clays for mid range 357 and 44 Specials
2400 for max load cast bullet magnums
H110 for max load jacketed magnums
RL 15 for several rifle loads
a TON of H335 for 223 plinkers

Dont use much anymore

Bullseye, Unique, Blue Dot

zxcvbob
January 24, 2012, 12:16 AM
Green Dot. Not as versatile as Unique, not as economical as Bullseye. It must do wondrous things in shotguns, but I never noticed it doing much that appealed to me in pistols.
I just bought a pound of Green Dot. I haven't used it in years but I remember it being a good powder in 9mm with light bullets, and that's what I bought this for. It also ought to be good in .380 and .38 Special.

chrt396
January 24, 2012, 12:29 AM
800X, Blue Dot, Power Pistol, Clays

I've got it down to the following powders:

9mm, 45 acp - Tite Group
45 acp - Bullseye
40 cal, 38 special - AA#5
357 magnum - 2400
41 magnum - H110
223, 308 - Varget, IMR 4064

The powder cabinet inventory has gone WAAAYYY down.

Elkins45
January 24, 2012, 04:08 PM
With as badly as 800X meters, how can you develop any love for it?
If there's a powder that meters worse that 800X I hope to never encounter it. That said, it is absolutely the best powder for top end loads with light bullets in 10mm as long as you are willing to hand weigh them. As one fellow described it on one of the forums: " it meters like a measure full of paper plates!"

ranger335v
January 24, 2012, 07:20 PM
I no longer use Hi-Vel 2.

bergmen
January 24, 2012, 07:53 PM
I no longer use Hi-Vel 2.

Probably because it hasn't been available for decades.

Dan

james layman
January 24, 2012, 08:50 PM
Just for fun I checked my 1942 loading manual. Double base is nitroglycern, include bullseye(1898), unique(1900) and 2400(1937). You don't want a double charge of this. The straight nitrocellouse progressive burn powders have a flash retardent. Includes 3031(1934), and 4064, 4198, 4227,4320 (1935). I don"t know much about newer powders, but these puppies will be around a long time. Nitro is nitro. Dynamite is dynamite. They all will propel bullets. Have a great time reloading and shooting. James

greenlion
January 24, 2012, 09:35 PM
I gave up on every powder Alliant Powder makes in favor of Hodgdon Powders.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powders you have given up on?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!