primer boxes

PDA

emmie
January 3, 2012, 08:32 AM
WHY did all the folks who make primers go the these Large size boxes?
the old smaller ones were so much easer to store,in bulk.

thank you for your time
emmie

If you enjoyed reading about "primer boxes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
January 3, 2012, 08:34 AM
Safety.

Blue68f100
January 3, 2012, 10:27 AM
One of the reason I don't buy Federal.

MrOldLude
January 3, 2012, 01:55 PM
On the plus side, when I work through a pack of Federal's, the empty tray make's a good drink coaster. The primer indentations do a good job of collecting the condensation that drips down.

rcmodel
January 3, 2012, 02:28 PM
I hadn't noticed "All" the primer manufactures going to the humongous boxes.

Only Federal is doing it as far as I know.
All the CCI, Win & Rem primers I have bought lately are still in the normal size flats.

That is the main reason I don't use Federal primers.

I end up spilling some on the floor every time I try to dump a flat of them in my primer flipper trays.

rc

ReloaderFred
January 3, 2012, 03:08 PM
We're lucky to have the option of buying primers for reloading, since there was a time when they weren't really marketed to the reloader. It was only when the major manufacturers has some surplus that they would ship them to suppliers.

Sure, the Federal primers come in big boxes. I buy all my primers by the case of 5,000, and usually in multiples of those. The Federal primers take up more room, but they're my primer of choice, so I just put up with it, and I'm glad I've got the choices I have. In fact, in my primer storage area right now, I've got primers from Federal, Winchester, Remington, CCI and MagTech. They're all good primers and when I'm done with the packaging, it goes into the recycling bin.

Hope this helps.

Fred

gpb
January 3, 2012, 03:34 PM
The boxes are larger than they were years ago. I believe this was done for safety. The extra space and volume probably reduces the chances of a detonation in case of an accident.

Iím just thankful that primers are available for sale at all. Given the stupidity and the propensity of the American people to sue; itís probably a matter of time until the manufactures stop selling them due to liability risks or the government outright bans their sale.

BullfrogKen
January 3, 2012, 05:30 PM
I think it's just Federal that makes those ungodly big boxes. I hate it.

The smallest and slimmest I've seen is how Fiocchi manages to package 1,500 primers into a slim little sleeve. It's smaller than CCI's packaging for 1K.

GLOOB
January 3, 2012, 06:00 PM
^ Never used Fiochhi. But CCI doesn't have the smallest domestic primer packaging. That honor goes to Remington.

JohnM
January 3, 2012, 06:09 PM
The big Federal boxes are a total pain.
I always get the feeling some packaging supplier sold them a bill of goods.
What they use must cost way more than what other makers use.
As far as another use for those things go, nada.
I have a pile of them out in the shop I'm waiting for a brainstorm to strike me of some use for the things.
So far no luck. :D

GLOOB
January 3, 2012, 06:13 PM
Guys, remember that Federal are the most sensitive primers available. Mebbe they spend the extra money for a reason? People that spend the extra money buying them usually have a good reason.

I bet they tested the cheaper packaging. They probably dropped a couple sleeves off the roof of their factory to see what happens. :)

BeerSleeper
January 3, 2012, 09:30 PM
If the Federals have larger packaging due to their sensitivity, then I think I know why the Remingtons have such tiny boxes, too...

BeerSleeper
January 3, 2012, 09:32 PM
On the plus side, when I work through a pack of Federal's, the empty tray make's a good drink coaster. The primer indentations do a good job of collecting the condensation that drips down.

Shotshell primer trays lay flatter, and hold even more condensation. Excellent coasters. A thin layer of a rubber like friction material on the bottom to keep them from sliding would make them perfect (either the shotshell, or federal trays).

rsrocket1
January 3, 2012, 10:06 PM
Just make sure you thoroughly wash the trays before you use them. The Lead Styphnate in the primer dust (new and fired) is probably a bigger contributor to reloaders' blood lead levels than the lead from the bullets.

FROGO207
January 4, 2012, 12:29 AM
One could use the primer trays as targets.:D I stand them on edge with the wide side facing me on a 2X4 and shoot them off. They will take a few .22 hits before they shatter.:D Covers also.

bandit7.5
January 4, 2012, 03:17 AM
per above post
been doing that for years.
blows my brothers mind when i can do this at 75 yds over open sights 3 out of 5 shots
7.5 swiss.
and he can't with his flavor of the monent

res7s
January 4, 2012, 04:00 AM
All of them are huge compared to the primer trays I started with.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq267/jimkim_bucket/Lachmiller38-168-K2002.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "primer boxes" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!