MN THR range day feb 29th 2:00 pm

PDA

s&w 24
February 5, 2004, 07:59 PM
resurvations have been made with Armored fire gun range in circle pines for feb 29th (sun.) 2:00 pm on. I estimated for 12 people but more is o.k. It will be $18 for the first person and $9 for each person sharing with up to 4 people per lane. Any rifle or pistol is o.k. but no steel core ammo.

If you enjoyed reading about "MN THR range day feb 29th 2:00 pm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dustind
February 6, 2004, 12:23 AM
I am in.

By the way, we need a seperate meet up forum section section for meeting threads. One area could cover the whole world. It would be nice to get them out of general, and to where they would not sink so quickly.

goalie
February 6, 2004, 02:48 AM
I will be there as well.

680x0
February 6, 2004, 03:12 AM
count me in this time.

reservations=good thing

repsychler
February 6, 2004, 08:34 AM
I'm there. I was bummed I had to miss the THR shoot at BPR. Sundays at Armored Fire is perfect.

s&w 24
February 6, 2004, 02:49 PM
I forgot to tell you all! If you want to rent any machineguns at armored fire let me know asap. I can call the guy incharge of that and see what I can do.

repsychler
February 6, 2004, 03:23 PM
It kinda depends on what the deal is. If they wanna charge $50 to everyone that touches it, then thats probably not something I'd be interested in. But if it could be set up so all the shooters split one rental fee plus pay for the ammo (theirs only?) that would be cool. If you can find out how much they'd charge for multiple shooters on one gun, and wether we can bring our own ammo or not, that'd be cool.

minnesota oldie
February 6, 2004, 07:37 PM
I got snowed out last time. I will try to make this one. I will be bringing lots of .45s. Kimbers, a colt, springfield, and S&W if anyone wants to try them out.

dleong
February 7, 2004, 12:14 AM
It will be $18 for the first person and $9 for each person sharing with up to 4 people per lane.
Ah... um... that's a bit on the steep side. I might have to pass on this one.

DL

jem375
February 7, 2004, 10:41 AM
one more time, if anyone wants to shoot for nothing when the weather warms up, contact me.......at least in the 40's..........we can shoot at the Oakdale Gun Club range where I am a member and can bring 3 extra people besides myself to shoot...........25,50,100,200 yard ranges.....

goalie
February 7, 2004, 11:22 AM
Yeah, um, I just realized, at the last shoot I put Clyde on my little name-tag. FWIW, I go by Clyde on a goalie BB. So, anyhow, maybe this time I will actually tell people who I really am. :D

dustind
February 7, 2004, 12:59 PM
dleong: That is $11.25 each for four people, $12 each for three, and $13.5 for two. It is not too much more than BPR.

I may be interested in splitting a machine gun if we can each chip in a little bit. If we each have to pay $50 I will defiantly pass.

I like Jem357's idea but do we really have enough Oakdale members for twenty people?

jem375
February 7, 2004, 01:36 PM
don't need that many ....looks like most of you guys are indoor shooters anyway............we have enough members for at least 9 people....myself, my son, and fedgunner...........anyone that wants to shoot during the week can contact me, can go in the morning or afternoon.........

goalie
February 7, 2004, 01:54 PM
Hmm, when it is warmer I may have to take you up on that morning afternoon during the week offer. I work nights usually, and usually I take off at least one weekday every week.

jem375
February 7, 2004, 04:07 PM
goalie........anytime when it warms up a little.......I'm retired, so, whenever you can...........

s&w 24
February 9, 2004, 07:14 PM
I'll see if I can twist Jeff's arm on MG prices. I think you can split the fee, I'll check.

wintermute76
February 9, 2004, 07:58 PM
Count me in for the Armored Fire shoot, I couldn't make it to BPR.

Jem375, I'd be interested in going shooting sometime. Like goalie, I work nights too, well 3pm to whenever actually, more 2nd shift.
Need to find a place to shoot my .22-250 anyways.

Let me know, sounds like it'd be good time. :)

See you all at the range :D

dustind
February 10, 2004, 10:32 AM
If you guys go with Jem375 could you send me a PM? I may be able to go, usually any time after noon mon-thu is fine, or anytime fri-sun should be ok.

This Friday should be in the thirties, practically a heat wave. :D

jem375
February 10, 2004, 11:37 AM
I was out at the range Sunday when it was 17 degrees, after awhile I could not feel the ammo to feed my magazines, my fingers were so cold.
We should wait until it gets up into the 40's at least, so we can enjoy shooting................goalie, wintermute76, and dustind, when it warms up, I will take you 3 out to shoot.........ok?

wintermute76
February 10, 2004, 12:47 PM
Been there Jem, me and my old man when out a few weeks ago when it was about 10 below, wasn't to hard to load the FAL mags, but my .22 mags didn't load very good, it's always a plus to be able to feel your fingers :D

Series 70
February 10, 2004, 12:56 PM
I'm a "maybe" for the AF shoot. I'll know better next week.

There were a couple cameras used at the BPR shoot. Anyone going to post the pictures?

goalie
February 10, 2004, 02:48 PM
I am definately up for some shooting when the weather warms up. :D

dustind
February 11, 2004, 02:09 AM
Thank you Jem375.

I would also like to see, and am willing to host, the pictures.

s&w 24
February 12, 2004, 07:28 PM
You have tyo come!! Didn't you say you would bring your 375!!

goalie
February 12, 2004, 09:16 PM
Yeah, I have a 375 H&H I will bring. Nothing like shooting a shoulder-cannon in the cold hehe.

680x0
February 12, 2004, 09:46 PM
Then maybe I'll bring a .458 winchester.... :evil:

s&w 24
February 14, 2004, 12:56 PM
so who's bringing a 50 cal firearm then!!

s&w 24
February 16, 2004, 07:45 PM
btt

s&w 24
February 17, 2004, 02:42 PM
btt

s&w 24
February 19, 2004, 07:59 PM
any more coming ?

sturmruger
February 19, 2004, 09:06 PM
I think I will be able to make. I will have a couple of new guns by then so I am all pumped to go shooting.

craig101
February 24, 2004, 10:55 PM
top.

i live about 10 miles from armored fire. although i don't think i can make it this weekend. if there is another get together this summer, i will make damn sure i can make it.

next time, I can also bring my machine gun for people to shoot. I legally own a Smith and Wesson 76. it's not a bad little gun. LOLOL

nice to see a fair amount of MN'ers here.

Series 70
February 25, 2004, 01:27 PM
I'm a scratch. The list of things to do this weekend has gotten too long, too quickly. Have fun - hopefully I can make it next time.

Lobotomy Boy
February 25, 2004, 07:11 PM
I'd be interested some other time, but I have an old friend visiting from out of town this weekend.

BTW, Armored Fire allows any caliber up to a certain speed. I forget what that is, but two of the calibers not allowed are 22-250 and 220 Swift.

wintermute76
February 27, 2004, 06:23 PM
I think it's 3600 fps, not positive tho.

See y'all there on Sunday.

s&w 24
February 27, 2004, 07:27 PM
ammo loaded, bag packed, I'll see you all there at 2 pm

repsychler
February 28, 2004, 06:37 AM
craig101
next time, I can also bring my machine gun for people to shoot. I legally own a Smith and Wesson 76. it's not a bad little gun.

I think I've talked to you at AF, I certainly remember someone with a sweet S&W 76.

I should be there tomorrow.

MrKandiyohi
February 28, 2004, 09:21 AM
I hope the turnout is good tomorrow. Can't make it this weekend 'cause I'm on-call at the hospital.

Let us know when and where the next MN one is planned.

F4GIB
February 28, 2004, 08:20 PM
bump

goalie
February 28, 2004, 09:01 PM
AAAARG.

I am not going to be able to go due to "family" obligations. And I wanted to see if anyone had one of those little Kel-Tecs too so I could see if they would work for me as an anywhere gun.

repsychler
February 28, 2004, 10:52 PM
Not that it'll make you feel any better, but I am bringing my Kel-tec P3-AT.

P95Carry
February 28, 2004, 10:58 PM
Have a great day guys ..... love it when groups of THR's can get together.

Hope the Weather Gods smile for you. Wish I could be there!:)

wintermute76
February 29, 2004, 12:53 AM
Looks like I"ll have the FAL, Mini-14, my Kimber pro carry, Para 18.9 LDA and not sure what all else...probably a couple .22's

dustind
February 29, 2004, 01:44 PM
I hope the weather works out too, I am riding my motorcycle.
I will be leaving in 35 minutes.

repsychler: Cool, I will want to take a look at it.

goalie
February 29, 2004, 04:43 PM
Right now I just got home from "family time" and you guys are out shooting. Since Armoured Fire allows rifles, next time we do this, or if we do it outdoors, I will have to bring out the .375 and the SAR-1 to light off a few, or, in the SARs case, a few dozen. :D

Lobotomy Boy
February 29, 2004, 08:13 PM
Let's hear a report from the AF field trip. Wish I could have joined you. I hit Burnsville Pistol Range yesterday morning so the weekend wasn't completely wasted, but the AF trip sounded like fun.

F4GIB
February 29, 2004, 09:22 PM
We didn't get the Armored Fire. They were having a surprise ATF audit. So we went to Bill's.

Lobotomy Boy
February 29, 2004, 09:24 PM
Heck, if I had known you were in the neighborhood I would have invited you all over for refreshments.

dustind
March 1, 2004, 01:16 PM
I arrived at Armored Fire ten minutes early on my motorcycle. A few THR members were hanging out, I joined them and learn that the range was closed due to an ATF audit. I found an ATF pin on the ground without a back. We waited for more members to show up, left a note on the door, and then left.

It took me a minute to get going. So I flew safely through traffic trying to catch up to the group going to Burnsville pistol range (or so I sort-of thought). I got stuck due to a traffic accident ahead. Even though nothing happened on the west bound side of the interstate, traffic was backed up. On the other side people were out of their cars for miles, some talking, some sitting on their roofs for a better view.

I stopped for gas at a station that did not accept credit cards. I then went to another station, and a police officer followed me. He stopped me in the station for my visor being up, and because the "day light" (whatever you call it) on my motorcycle was too dim for him to see from his point of view. He asked me where I was going, "bill's" I said. Sadly he wanted to know who Bill was, so I told him it was a shooting range. He then asked me if I had any guns on me a few times, and if I had a ccw. I had given my backpack to another THR member with a car when I stopped at Armored Fire, to save my back from carrying the weight. After the stop was done he patted me down for weapons, found my knife, opened it, and put it back. I then went to a different gas station after having embarrassing myself at the second one. I bought gas, made it to BSP, realized it was the wrong place, and then headed to Bill's.

I arrived at Bill's, found the group, got my guns, and went shooting. I shot someone's P3AT,:confused: (kel-tec .380) and my Beretta Neos.

Overall I had a fun time, I got to ride my motorcycle (a lot) in February which is rare, I got to shoot, and most importantly I met a few new THR members. I would happily do it again.

s&w 24
March 1, 2004, 03:43 PM
sorry for the ATF pooping on the party The next MN shoot I think will be in april. I would love to shoot outdoors so if any members have any help on that it would be great being that I only know of one range that we could use and it would take 90 min to drive to from the twin cities.

jem375
March 1, 2004, 04:18 PM
My son and I went out shooting Sunday in the nice weather at Oakdale Gun Club in Lake Elmo.....You don't have to go 90 miles from the TC's...I have already stated that a couple of guys from ar15.com, by the way, all of you guys should be over there in the hometown section instead of here, have memberships in the Oakdale Gun Club and would be able to take a couple of people each, but, it seems like you guys just like to pay the fees at the indoor ranges instead of shooting outside.......

jem375
March 1, 2004, 04:28 PM
goalie,wintermute76, and destind...........we need to talk about going out to the gun range in the near future.
I can go just about anytime, but, you guys need to talk among yourselves about when we can get everybody together and go shooting.......the range is open now from 8 AM to around 5:30 PM.......I will be out of town March 11-March 18............
We need to email among ourselves and get it going........

Lobotomy Boy
March 1, 2004, 05:09 PM
dustind, what jurisdiction did you get stopped in? Was it a city cop, sheriff, or HP?

s&w 24
March 1, 2004, 07:34 PM
can I play too!!!

wintermute76
March 2, 2004, 12:50 AM
Sounds good to me jem375 :)

I got to AF about 2:05, didn't see any cars, didn't want to make the drive to Bill's.

Went home and rotated my tires and changed my oil, not as much fun as a day at the range. Have to make it next time....I'm 0 for 2 now :banghead:

Weekend wasn't a total loss tho, I did the cold weather rifle course up at Princeton gun range thru Defensive Edge on Saturday. Had a good time there. Gave the FAL a workout anyways :D

patent
March 2, 2004, 11:23 PM
Well, I'd love to shoot at Oakdale if something gets set up. I enjoy armored fire and all, but I'm looking forward to getting back outside.

patent

dustind
March 3, 2004, 01:00 AM
Lobotomy Boy: It was Burnsville, 55306 Egan Drive/CR-42 heading East That is close to Burnsville pistol range's location which was a few blocks down the road. I am pretty sure it was a city cop, the car was mostly white.

Jem375: Thank you for the offer, I am available about any time other than mon-thu before 1:00 PM. When ever the others want to go is fine by me. My e-mail is dustintech@juno.com

craig101
March 3, 2004, 07:49 AM
surprise audit! hell he was getting busted for Drug Possession! 18 pounds of marijauna? some coke? damn!

I need to find out if he was selling/trading any of his "personal" guns to the criminal element.

Lobotomy Boy
March 3, 2004, 08:29 AM
This true about Armored Fire? Crap, this is just what metro-area shooters don't need if it is true.

Dustind, I am very involved in the motorcycle political scene and have some friends at the state and national level whose job is to make certain that motorcyclists aren't harrassed. I'll have them look into this.

repsychler
March 3, 2004, 09:54 AM
Yeah, Jeff Kempf (Owner of AF) was busted for drugs, which is why they were closed Sunday. Someone else said they were open Monday though.

http://www.startribune.com/stories/462/4641523.html

Gun shop owner charged with drug possession
Jim Adams, Star Tribune

Published March 3, 2004
Last updated: March 3, 2004 at 6:27 AM ANOK03

The owner of a Blaine gun shop and range frequented by law enforcement officers was charged with first-degree drug possession after police found drugs in his home and shop Saturday.

Jeffrey P. Kempf, 39, also was accused of child endangerment because drugs found in his Blaine home were within reach of his children, according to charges filed in Anoka County District Court late Monday.

Kempf's attorney, Steve Meshbesher, said the charges aren't appropriate for the facts of the case.

"He is a well-respected businessman," Meshbesher said. "He has a lot of friends in law enforcement. He has a firing range where police and state and federal agents practice."

The criminal complaint gave this account of the allegations against Kempf:

Blaine police, assisted by agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) found about 18 pounds of marijuana, about 3 ounces of cocaine and 87 handguns Saturday evening in Kempf's home. The home has a sophisticated surveillance system and several outbuildings, where some drugs were found.

Kempf was carrying a loaded gun when he was arrested as police searched his business, Armored Fire Gun Shop and Range, 3621 88th Av. NE.

In his shop office, police found about half an ounce of cocaine, $3,423 in cash in a drawer and a glass pipe with white residue on it, the complaint said. Kempf told police that his wife and children didn't know about his drug use, according to the complaint. Meshbesher said the charges, which involve the presence of guns, aren't appropriate because Kempf didn't use guns in committing of a crime.

"He owns a gun shop. He has a federal license to carry and sell arms," Meshbesher said. "He doesn't sell it [drugs]. He has an alcohol and or drug problem. He will enter treatment soon and deal with it."

ATF spokeswoman Sherry Duval said she isn't aware of prior problems with Kempf's gun shop. If Kempf is convicted of a felony or of unlawful drug use, he would lose the federal license required to be a gun dealer, she said.

Kempf was released Tuesday from the county jail after posting $75,000 bail.

Lobotomy Boy
March 3, 2004, 09:59 AM
This is a little ghoulish, but I wonder if there is going to be a fire sale on some of the guns in the shop? It would have to be a heck of a sale--AF's prices are nearly double the prices at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Maybe a bunch of us THR members should chip in and buy the place? Turn it into a headquarters for our new pro-gun non-profit organization?

repsychler
March 3, 2004, 10:30 AM
I think it all depends on whether or not the ATF wants to ruin him over this. Depending on what other evidence they have, I could see this getting pled down to gross misdemeanor and going away fairly quietly. But if F-Troop wants to nail him, he's probably gonna be hurtin.

As far as his prices, last week I heard (but haven't looked to verify) that Jeff price shopped the competition and dramatically lowered his prices. Someone told me he was lower than Sportsmans Warehouse on some things now.

jem375
March 3, 2004, 10:38 AM
S&W 24..........you sure can..........the weather is warming up..........

Lobotomy Boy
March 3, 2004, 10:39 AM
Hopefully he will be able to plead down from a felony--I despise drug use (I don't even drink alcohol), but I think the drug laws are even worse than drug abuse. I hate to see people's lives ruined by making criminal what I believe is a medical problem.

But it's going to be might difficult. 18 pounds of weed and three ounces of cocaine is a lot of self medicating. It's going to be pretty difficult to avoid a trafficing charge. I wouldn't be surprised to see him serve some hard time. I wish him luck, though, and hope whatever happens he finds the help he needs (his attorney has already admitted he's an addict).

Andrew Rothman
March 3, 2004, 01:21 PM
joelr covered this in his blog. Good reading.
http://www.livejournal.com/users/joelrosenberg/23928.html#item23928

12-34hom
March 3, 2004, 06:51 PM
Pled down from felony charges??

18 pounds of weed & 3 oz's of coke.

I don't think so....:scrutiny:

12-34hom

If you enjoyed reading about "MN THR range day feb 29th 2:00 pm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!