Wal-Mart Ammo

PDA

WinThePennant
January 3, 2012, 11:37 AM
I went into the local Wally World yesterday (North Carolina), and all 9mm ammo was wiped clean off the shelf. Everything else was slim pickings, too!

Anyone have an explanation? Holiday shoppers? I've never seen Wal-Mart's ammo shelves that bare.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wal-Mart Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Ryanxia
January 3, 2012, 11:39 AM
My LGS hasn't had any shortages, maybe someone just got a Christmas bonus and cleaned em out to stock up :)

GCMkc
January 3, 2012, 12:04 PM
Bought 2 bulk packs of Winchester white box 9mm for like $40 a couple of days ago. Wally World is clutch when it comes to plinking ammo.

AJMBLAZER
January 3, 2012, 12:29 PM
Mine are hit or miss. Not like the pre-2008 days of fully stocked shelves but usually they will have most of what they have marked spaces with prices.

However whenever they have a good price on something common it seems to disappear fast.

rcmodel
January 3, 2012, 12:31 PM
Maybe some people got a new 9mm pistols for Xmas.

Or there is a gang turf war brewing.

rc

accrhodes
January 3, 2012, 12:36 PM
Ours is the same way - Very slim on the .223. I think it's just because of the xmas holiday.

KZinOKC
January 3, 2012, 12:38 PM
I was lucky yesterday and got a few boxes of Federal Champion 9mm for $10.99 at our Walmart. They were all out of WWB

signalzero
January 3, 2012, 12:48 PM
My local Wal-Mart is flush with ammo. Must just be your area?

Rail Driver
January 3, 2012, 12:53 PM
My local Walmart rarely has what I need in stock.

leadchucker
January 3, 2012, 01:20 PM
My local wallyworld, also in NC, has a limited stock of ammo. Someone may have just bought all they had on the shelf, which would only be a couple of boxes of 9mm or 380 at most.

JoNate
January 3, 2012, 01:37 PM
I was at Academy buying a few cleaning supplies and it was almost all gone. Very few things left there, but they had everything else. I guess it was Christmas, new guns, new cleaning jobs.

P.S. Walmart is a company that will not get another dime from me and haven't for years.

oneounceload
January 3, 2012, 02:09 PM
In another thread, it was posted that the month of December was the largest month ever for the FBI background checks - all within 4 days of Christmas, so I suspect new demand by new owners

95XL883
January 3, 2012, 02:47 PM
Probably just that store. I went to two different WallyWorlds in the last two days. Both had a pretty good selection.

Serenity
January 3, 2012, 03:04 PM
No problem yesterday in Walmart in Inland Northwest.

chevyman097
January 3, 2012, 03:17 PM
Just depends on what day you show up and what you are looking for. Some days it has more of some caliber and none of others. They only keep whats on the shelf and the shelf doesnt fit much needless to say. I have also heard people go around and hit wal marts to resell the ammo to pawn shops....never really thought wal mart sold it all that cheaper than anyone else but i guess its possible.

rustedangel
January 3, 2012, 03:21 PM
I just picked up 10 boxes of 9mm Federal in a Salem, OR Wal-Mart last week. They had about 10 more, and I considered getting them, but I didn't really need the extra stock so passed them up. I have yet to go into an Oregon or Washington Wal-Mart and find them totally out of 9mm.

newbuckeye
January 3, 2012, 03:24 PM
My closest wally has plenty of 7mm 30'06 and .270.....

ForumSurfer
January 3, 2012, 03:35 PM
Maybe everyone is stocking up for the IDPA matches this weekend at once?

DAdams
January 3, 2012, 03:50 PM
With record gun sales over the prior 30 days you gotta stoke em?

I haven't seen any shortages on-line. Haven't been to WW in awhile, the last time I was just before deer season and you couldn't fight your way to the counter. I walked.

HDCamel
January 3, 2012, 04:18 PM
I've had similar problems with .38 special ammo around here. Seems like every time I go to WW or GM all the .38 spc they have left is PD ammo, which I don't need any more of right now. I need target ammo.

Went to Wally world last month and saw three boxes of WWB and bought them. Haven't seen any since.

Chris-bob
January 3, 2012, 04:30 PM
Well, ours is just starting to get ammo back on the shelves. Ever since Nov 2008, the shelves have been almost empty. And when ammo does show up, it's gone that same day.
Granted, it is one of two places that sell ammo to 13k people living on an island with the next closest ammo store over 200 miles away by air or be sea(no land)

mljdeckard
January 3, 2012, 04:37 PM
I went to super wally for some clay birds and a hand thrower after Christmas, apparently I was the last person in town with the exact same idea, totally cleaned out.

smalls
January 3, 2012, 04:39 PM
Mine was kind of short on stock, today. They only had a few boxes of federal 9mm, which I scooped up. They were completely out of wwb, in anything. They had a few boxes of remington .40 and .45, but no 9mm. I saw some hydrashoks in 9mm there, though. I've never seen them there, before.

tightgroup tiger
January 3, 2012, 04:44 PM
I live between Winston-Salem and Greensboro. I was trying to buy 9mm also, they had none. Their ammo shelves were pathetic, only common rifle loads and lots of 22 lr shells.

Some one else was also trying to buy shells and asked the attendant what was going on, that they have been out for quite a while and why weren't they restocking. He had nothing to say.

The only reason I went there to start with was because I had won a gift card. My LGS is well stocked and I prefer to shop there anyways so I really didn't care.

But I don't know why they are so low on ammo either.

Hossfly68
January 3, 2012, 08:55 PM
You guys didn't hear about the ammo shortage? Yeah something big must be going on. Winchester and Federal and several others have totally shut down civilian manufacture and are only loading for the military. At least that's what my buddy's brother's third cousin in the middle east told him in an email last week. It was confirmed by my next door neighbor's wife's best friend's husband who worked at a police dept 15 years ago and heard from his old police buddy yesterday. LOL.

I couldn't help it fellas. Just waiting for the internet rumors to fly and figured I'd help out a bit. :evil:

FROGO207
January 3, 2012, 09:01 PM
It is possible that the store is letting the inventory run down some so that it will be easier to do a yearly physical inventory. Then they will fill the shelves back up after paying state tax on what they actually had in stock on inventory day.

Carl N. Brown
January 3, 2012, 09:02 PM
Let's see. For the military match season, 7 months, 30 shots for score each match, vintage rifle, vintage pistol, modern rifle, modern pistol, I needed at least 840 rounds and needed to stock up early. Sorry guys.

LibShooter
January 3, 2012, 09:19 PM
Maybe it was a Wal-Mart thing. The store in my town in East Tennessee was fresh out of 9mm a couple of days ago. The LGS around the corner had plenty. Today Wal-Mart's shelves were fairly full.

WinThePennant
January 3, 2012, 10:44 PM
Why is ammo running dry?

Seems like it's everywhere.

When I can see ANY 9mm, I'm backing up the truck and buying 'em out.

22-rimfire
January 3, 2012, 11:10 PM
Certain calibers will run out periodically. I think it is a combination of Christmas guns and the unseasonably warm weather (until yesterday) that we have been having is pushing people out to shoot more.

Mr transformer
January 4, 2012, 12:46 AM
I noticed the same thing in the local walmart here in Indiana.

Only three rifles and two shotguns left in the entire store.They normaly have over 10 different models of rifles on display, and the same for shotguns. Plus several more locked up in back.
All the scopes were gone, save one center point model. They normally have over 15 different models.
Rifle and handgun bullets were slim pickings.
They didnít even have one box of general purpose shot shells left. Which is what I was looking for.:banghead:
The muzzle loading section was hit pretty hard but not as hard as the rest of the stuff.

The thing they still had plenty of was 22LR bullets. It looked like people were not buying much of those right now.

WaltonS
January 4, 2012, 12:51 AM
I'm thinkin' slim pickings in certain areas... then again it seems the pistol ammo that's most readily available is Tula. *shrug* I'll buy up all the $4.69 boxes of 7.62x39 I can!

arcticap
January 4, 2012, 01:17 AM
One local Walmart still has a limit on the number of boxes of the same ammo that can be purchased at the same time.
I tried to buy 3 boxes and the clerk would only ring up two of them, which meant returning one of the boxes to the display case.
Other area Walmarts not only don't have any such limitations but they haven't had any in a long time.

92GreenYJ
January 4, 2012, 04:29 AM
Stopped in to my Wally world for some stuff today. Only ammo that was wiped out was .223. Had a good amount of everything else. Snagged 2 boxes of federal 45 ACP and a box of 00 buck 12 gauge just cause I was there andi could.

LSMS
January 4, 2012, 08:42 AM
My Walmart has been out of 9mm for a week now. Although they did have an ammo can of 420 rounds of 556 xm855 green tip on stripper clips for 149.00 (about 6 or 7 cans). They did have umc in 9 but I'm. Not a fan of Remington and already have a good stock of wwb and federal.

Here I think it's a mix of holidays and oddly warm weather. People have family in and it's warm so they're shooting more.

ForumSurfer
January 4, 2012, 08:49 AM
Let's not get carried away. Guns are selling at an all time high. People have some extra cash and they're at WW so they pick up a few boxes. Walmart stocks their shelves based on purchase history over time, so during a spike in sales...they're going to run out or low. My local walmart was also out of scented kitty litter and my favorite off the shelf bbq sauce, but I haven't seen anyone probing for an explanation about that. :)

Batty67
January 4, 2012, 08:53 AM
One WM near where I live moves a lot of ammunition and what is on the shelves varies from very good to mediocre but it does change weekly. Another where my brother lives carries virtually nothing, but has a much better sporting goods/camping section. Go figure...

Hossfly68
January 4, 2012, 09:37 AM
You buy off the shelf BBQ sauce? Sinner!

(I'm originally from Memphis, BBQ capital of the world)

ForumSurfer
January 4, 2012, 09:43 AM
You buy off the shelf BBQ sauce? Sinner!

I thought walmart purchases were an even bigger offense around here? :)

PM me a few good recipes and I'll stop buying it.

DAdams
January 4, 2012, 09:43 AM
Haven't you heard? O'Bama is going to be re-elected. :eek:

KevininPa
January 4, 2012, 09:58 AM
"My local walmart was also out of scented kitty litter and my favorite off the shelf bbq sauce, but I haven't seen anyone probing for an explanation about that."

That's Good!:)

I have two WWs within driving range of me. They almost always have slim pickings, doesn't matter the time of the year.

dprice3844444
January 4, 2012, 10:05 AM
well,they do have that fbi contract to fill worth several million dollars,and the end of year
paperwork where they would have to pay tax on it as inventory.plus,restocking of the us inventory that they have depleted from iraq and afghanistan.
also,with that lil fathead acting up in iran,they are thinking ahead.

o Unforgiven o
January 4, 2012, 11:34 AM
I was at my local Walmart a few days ago and they were just plain out of everything. There were probably 75+ pallets of stuff spread all over the store with a small army of workers restocking the shelves. They didn't have but maybe 4 or 5 shotguns and rifles left, not much ammo, not much in the way of cleaning stuff and they were completely out of Cheez-Its Snack mix. Sad day at WM.

xfyrfiter
January 4, 2012, 11:49 AM
Most large retialers do a physical inventory at the end of the year, and can take a few days to get all the shelves restocked after the holiday rush. My local ww was parked out to the back 40 to even get to the store, had to walk 1/2 mile to get to the front door, and all 3 wm in the area were that busy.

shuvelrider
January 4, 2012, 01:16 PM
Try shopping your area sport/retail stores and buy a couple boxes of 9mm as you find them, of course look for sales. In a matter of a few months you will have plenty of 9 stashed away, I did that a couple years ago when ammo was hard to find when looking for the common stuff. I dont reload that caliber but I also dont shoot it alot either, it was easier to ratpile it by purchase. Now I have 2000 rds on hand as needed.

AJMBLAZER
January 4, 2012, 01:24 PM
What he said. In 2007-2008 when I had a sketchy feeling about politics I started stopping at my local Walmart and MCSports (sporting good chain in Michigan) and picking up .45, .38, 12ga buck, .22LR bulk boxes, etc a few at a time every paycheck. Never more than 2-3 boxes at a time, $40 max.

4-5 years later I'm still shooting off that stock pile and not quite so worried about a lot of it now.

breeze010
January 4, 2012, 09:11 PM
Local Wal Mart is almost always out of Federal Champion in 9mm. Maybe 1 out of every 3 or 4 visits I will get lucky and find the 9mm in stock and buy the couple boxes they have on the shelves. At $9.99/box it's the cheapest 9mm available locally (WWB, Tula, Blazer etc all run $11-12+/box) and is some of--if not the--cleanest shooting ammo I've ever seen.

I would be hesitant to call it a "shortage" because it seems that only 9mm ammo is constantly out of stock, and in particular the Federal Champion line. Maybe everyone enjoys it as much as I do and buys what they can any time it's on the shelves. There also seem to be a lot of new shooters entering the sport and 9mm seems to be almost the default caliber for any new gun owner looking for a pistol. Some times I wish I had a 40 or 45 just so I could buy plinking ammo whenever I need it. Don't get me wrong, I love the dirt cheap 9mm rounds (heck, it's cheaper to shoot than my 17HMR and some match 22LR!) but I've often thought an extra $5/box may be worth the increased ammo availability and performance with other calibers.

One of these days I will get into reloading, until then I will just keep adding to my stash of clean 9mm Federal brass ;)

writerinmo
January 4, 2012, 10:02 PM
Mine's always pretty well stocked with ammo, maybe this one has someone in charge of ordering that actually does their job? Dunno....

oneounceload
January 4, 2012, 10:20 PM
Most large retialers do a physical inventory at the end of the year,

Just about every retailer also pays an inventory tax on goods in its inventory at the end of the year - the less in inventory, the lower their costs. Waiting a few days can save a company like Walmart millions

lizziedog1
January 4, 2012, 10:25 PM
Nevada does not have an inventory tax. Our WalMarts seem to be well-stocked with ammo.

Of course, since no one has mentioned it, companies send WalMart their less than perfect ammo. That is why its a bit cheaper than at other places.:D

fallingbird
January 4, 2012, 11:05 PM
Ammunition may be an annually booked item, and the 2012 shipments may have not begun to arrive yet.

Serenity
January 4, 2012, 11:19 PM
I buy a box of each, 9mm and 38 special, whenever I go in WW. The 38 special is nearly twice the cost per 50 round box, so I buy 100 round boxes of the 9mm to even it up. :) This helps me to spread the cost out AND lay low on the bank statement :evil:

Chris-bob
January 5, 2012, 01:41 AM
I did get a rather nice explanation from WW the other day. They said that individual stores can submit orders, but the orders are filled first come, first served. Meaning they only ship ammo as headquarters gets it, and then to the first stores on the list. Then he said that when a store sells out, it tends to create a panic and people purchase more ammo when they see it, even if they didn't plan on buying that much, out of fear they won't have the option again.

I personally purchase one brick of .22LR every payday(weekly) just to keep stocked up.

arcticap
January 5, 2012, 02:28 PM
Of course, since no one has mentioned it, companies send WalMart their less than perfect ammo. That is why its a bit cheaper than at other places.

Really? Please tell us more.
I thought that their lower prices were about volume purchasing and having negotiated contracts for large deliveries on an regular basis, i.e. - pre-purchase agreements.

ForumSurfer
January 5, 2012, 02:50 PM
Of course, since no one has mentioned it, companies send WalMart their less than perfect ammo. That is why its a bit cheaper than at other places.

Internet rumors.

Really? Please tell us more.
I thought that their lower prices were about volume purchasing and contracts.

That's hitting the nail on the head.

Walmart is cheaper than other stores, but priced slightly higher than buying bulk online. They can charge less because they buy it in massive quantities.

oneounceload
January 5, 2012, 03:11 PM

Don't go starting that BS rumor again Lizzie - it has been beat to death too many times!... :D

WinThePennant
January 5, 2012, 03:43 PM
But -- It is very true that lower quality items of the same product name are sold at Wal-Mart.

TJx
January 5, 2012, 05:12 PM
I had a gun shop tell me about the Walmart ammo is manufacturers seconds. I bought a box of his for $10.50 for a 50 round box (Federal) only to discover later that the Walmart is the same damn thing, Federal in the exact same box except it is a 100 round economy pack.

writerinmo
January 6, 2012, 07:20 PM
And I bet that same gun shop was perfectly willing to sell you their "higher quality, higher priced" ammunition, weren't they?

The only ammo I won't buy at Walmart, or anywhere else for that matter, is the 9mm WWB in the 100 round bulk pack...got tired of getting bullets in the cases crooked and even backwards in one instance, and I'd like a full measure of powder in them as well...it's a bit disconcerting to have your shooting buddy lean down 2 feet in front of you and pick up the bullet after it FELL out of the end of the barrel. Two of these in one 100 round box was enough for me to stop buying it. Plus I can buy Federal and Blazer cheaper.

we are not amused
January 7, 2012, 10:56 AM
I had a gun shop tell me about the Walmart ammo is manufacturers seconds. I bought a box of his for $10.50 for a 50 round box (Federal) only to discover later that the Walmart is the same damn thing, Federal in the exact same box except it is a 100 round economy pack.

A lot of people rag on Wal-mart, but I notice they all shop there!
I won't buy a gun from them because I want the service of a regular dealer available if I have a problem with it. (Although some dealers are no more helpful than Wal-mart). But I have no problem buying ammunition or cleaning supplies and targets from them. Good prices, good products, and they are open 24-7.

M2 Carbine
January 7, 2012, 11:31 AM
Considering the crowds I saw at the last two gun shows, buying guns, I'm surprised WM has any ammo.

A couple weeks ago a friend bought a gun from one of the big dealers. Because there were so many sales ahead of her she had to wait an hour before filling out the 4473, and there were 5 sales people doing the paperwork.

The last couple times I was at Cheaper Than Dirt the people were lined up at the gun counters two deep. The salesmen were selling guns and doing the paperwork for two people at a time.
I very seldom buy a gun from CTD but I bought two (on sale).:)

I reload so the only ammo I buy at WM is bulk pack 22 but I take note of the ammo supply. If it was me, I'd be stocking up on all the calibers I use.

TexasRifleman
January 7, 2012, 04:59 PM
I had a gun shop tell me

ANY story that starts that way is 99%l likely to be complete nonsense.

This one is no exception. I have a friend who works at ATK (owns Federal among others) who gets this question from customers often. It's simply not true that Wal Mart ammo is "seconds". It's cheaper, because no one is better than Wal Mart at beating their suppliers down on price, but it's the same stuff.

FROGO207
January 8, 2012, 08:34 AM
He He He-- I went into the local specialty food store looking for Pepperige Farm Parmisarn goldfish. None in stock. They would find some for me they said.:) Next trip in and they said that contacting PF and the company production was making product for WM contract in the immediate future and expected a 60-80 day delay for resupply of their store. The more independent I can be of things out of my control the happier I am. That is why I reload and cast my own.

As far as WM interweb rumor goes they do cheapen some products. I got Chef BoyarDee ravioli both from there and from my local food store. Same label same weight BUT the count of ravioli within is 1 or more less in the WM packaging EVERY TIME for 2 year random sample period of 24 cans from each place. You draw your own conclusions. This was MY result. I have never heard of WWB ammo problems from any other retail source on the net as of today, why not??
This is only my opinion/experience. YMMV

the_hustleman
January 8, 2012, 08:40 AM
Mine is hit or miss. Wal Mart is horrible about stocking items and they cant tell you when they will be back in stock.

With that said I buy "winchester white box all the time and have never had an issue".

Its super dirty but I clean my gun everytime its shot.

Why buy that at 13 a box when federal champion is 10.50 a box, or 19.99 for 100?

Oan I stopped using wwb because one of my rounds had a double charge and my m&p was *

The neck of the casing was wide open and the gun just wouldn't function.

S&w said it was overcharged with too much powder.

I went back to my old fc which didn't give me a problem in the ~5,000 rounds fired.

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Carl N. Brown
January 8, 2012, 10:48 AM
companies send WalMart their less than perfect ammo

The rumor I heard was that Walmart sets a price they will pay for bulk ammo orders, and the white box ammo is loaded to that price point. And that CCI and Federal refused to compromise. Another rumor I heard is that the 100 round white box is slightly cheaper quality than the 50 round white box. Even further, I heard that the government has a UFO at Area 51 from which they stole the F117 and B2 stealth technology. And workers inspecting the base of Hoover Dam encountered a 45-foot catfish.

the_hustleman
January 8, 2012, 10:58 AM
The rumor I heard was that Walmart sets a price they will pay for bulk ammo orders, and the white box ammo is loaded to that price point. And that CCI and Federal refused to compromise. Another rumor I heard is that the 100 round white box is slightly cheaper quality than the 50 round white box. Even further, I heard that the government has a UFO at Area 51 from which they stole the F117 and B2 stealth technology. And workers inspecting the base of Hoover Dam encountered a 45-foot catfish.

Lol, yet federal is cheaper than the wwb

*swyped from the evo so excuse any typos*

Tcruse
January 8, 2012, 11:28 AM
I think that if the manufacture's part number is the same, then the product is the same. Walmart, SAMs, Best Buy, and Costco many time have some products that look identical to advertised first line products but with some features changed and slightly different part numbers. But, I have not seen such in the WWB ammo world. They do price matching and check the street price for ammo in the area, so they are generally cheaper on the products that they sell. They just do not always have the brand that others have on sale.
In this area it seems that all ammo has increased in price since December and is in lower supply than normal. Probably a short term issue.

Batty67
January 8, 2012, 12:46 PM
Picked up a box of Federal 100-rds of .40S&W for $26.00 today at local W-M. I've never seen them have it in stock (always have plent of boxes of 50 for $16.50 or so).

pazz
January 8, 2012, 01:06 PM
My Walmart is stocked up on pretty much everything,
even .44 Magnum. It's just outside of Atlanta.

One_Jackal
January 8, 2012, 02:06 PM
I do most of my shopping at the WalMart in Wake Forest. NC. The shelves were well stocked with ammo before Christmas. The shelves are bare now, I got the last large box of .22 ammo. I asked the clerk was there more ammo in the warehouse, she replied "no." She also said there is never any ammo in the warehouse. They stock the entire order when it's received. Whats funny is the Louisburg, Henderson and South Hill, VA WalMarts have plenty of ammo. It appears that each WalMart places their own order regardless of demand.

zonzin
January 9, 2012, 10:17 AM
Probably everyone buying ammo for their Christmas presents. :)

22-rimfire
January 9, 2012, 10:27 AM
A lot of people rag on Wal-mart, but I notice they all shop there!

I seldom rag on Walmart. The stores tend to be well managed and stocked regularly. The majority of my groceries are purchased at Walmart which means I'm a pretty regular customer.

Walmart gets much of my regular shopping dollars simply because they consistantly do a good job, prices are seldom higher than anyone else on most items, and the stores are clean. When I see dirty floors, I pretty much turn around and go somewhere else that actually cleans.

The ammunition rumors persist at Walmart. The Ravioli statement above was interesting. I could see that with "store brand" merchandise.

Rshooter
January 9, 2012, 12:06 PM
WalMart gets in what the trucks bring. If ammo sells out fast they do not do a special order, they just wait for the next truck. It is sorta a feast and famine thing.

accrhodes
January 9, 2012, 12:37 PM
Mine normally takes 2-3 weeks to replinish the ammo stock. They have great prices though so its sometimes worth the wait depending on what ammo you need.

wristtwister
January 9, 2012, 12:43 PM
First of all, Wal Mart is not an ammo supplier... they are a department store, and they "supply" ammo from their sporting goods department. I'll bet all these "ammo shortages" you've encountered were also coincident with ammo shortages in other stores that carried ammo as well.

Working in a gun store, I know a little about "ammo suppliers"... and "suppliers" are nothing more than distribution companies. If they did a good job of ordering, or have a good "supply train", it's no big issue to get ammo or anything else they carry. During shortages, EVERYBODY is out of whatever's short, unless they have a "stash" of it stored for such emergencies.

We have a local ammo manufacturer who gives me a lot of insight into what goes on in their business, and it takes several things to go "into production". First, they have to have the "makings" for the cartridges... that means empty brass, primers, powder, and bullets in sufficient numbers to make a production run profitable. A shortage in any one of those streams, can cut off the line and shut down that particular caliber's production. With the economy in the toilet, brass suppliers, primer suppliers, powder suppliers, and bullet suppliers don't have the vast amounts of excess everything they used to carry, and are producing what they have sold or what they forsee in the market... so it makes the "supply train" both slower, and a bit jerkier as they have "spot" shortages in areas where they might normally be functioning.

The "great .380 acp shortage" was caused by several things... every gun manufacturer on the planet introduced a new .380 into the market, the public panicked and instead of buying two boxes of .380, they bought ten cases, and it all occurred during the normal "down time" for the production of that particular caliber during the industry's manufacturing process. The wholesalers got wiped out in about a week, and it was several months until the industry was scheduled to start producing ammo in that caliber again... so it was a "perfect storm" that was both misreported and fueled by rumors more than facts.

As for Wal Mart's "ammo shortages", they treat ammo just like anything else in their sporting goods department. If they're out of fishing gear, they order more of it and wait for it to arrive. Just because YOU have a need for their goods, it doesn't mean that they are rushing to supply it... they have it going through their normal ordering process, and it will arrive when it's supplied from their distribution center.

What is true, is that true "ammo suppliers" are now fighting a lot of regulations and fees that weren't in place prior to this administration... but there's not any kind of actual ammo shortage out there. It's a "supply train" problem, and our wholesalers are backordered out the wazoo for "special caliber" ammo, and certain specialty ammos... but that is tied to the supply train, not to production or an actual "shortage".

There are limits on how much powder can be shipped on a truck, hazmat fees for shipping both powder and ammo, and the list just goes on from there. What's clear is that ammunition is over-regulated, and it is over-regulated at the distributor level and not so much at the production level... but with this administration, I can see that changing at the first available opportunity.

If you're shooting bulk ammo from Wal Mart, you can go to places like Georgia Arms, J&G Sales, CDNN, etc. and order "bulk" packages and have it shipped directly to you. What a lot of people don't realize is that you have to be a "shipper" to be able to ship ammo, and if they send you the wrong stuff, you can't send it back. Since we deal with ammo shipments at the gun store every day, it's pretty clear that ammo is available, and the public has many different avenues to get ammunition, including reloading... so don't panic if you don't find what you need at Wally World... go to a local gun shop and buy it. I know from checking regularly, our prices at the gun store are comparable with theirs... and we're just an independent gun store... not one of the "big box" suppliers.

WT

natman
January 9, 2012, 01:56 PM
Considering how much ammo Walmart sells, they'd have to make a LOT of seconds.

Walmart often sells its ammo retail for less than a LGS can buy it wholesale, but they get the low price by buying in trainloads instead of cases.

Bozwell
January 9, 2012, 02:01 PM
There was a run on the local Walmart here in Greensboro around Christmas time. We were heading out to Shane's and stopped in to get some 12 gauge ammo for my friends and had a hard time even finding a few boxes (finally spotted some stashed on top of the shelf). I expect that things will begin to restock now that the holiday season is wrapping up.

Bobson
January 9, 2012, 02:07 PM
Deleted.

22-rimfire
January 9, 2012, 06:15 PM
Kmart and Sears are teetering on bankruptsy. You would think they might see a business opportunity with ammunition. If either or both carried ammunition, I might actually set foot in one of their stores.... other than to buy Craftsman tools.

LibShooter
January 9, 2012, 07:24 PM
It seems like our K-mart was carrying rifle and shotgun shells as late as 2008 or 2009. They got out of the business at the wrong time, huh?

One_Jackal
January 10, 2012, 08:18 AM
Sears used to sell guns of decent quality at good prices. They decided to get out the gun business over 20 years ago.

22-rimfire
January 10, 2012, 12:15 PM
Yes, but all it takes is a conscious decision to stock ammunition in Kmarts and Sears stores. Price matters of course. Sears could stock a lot of sporting goods. Places like Dicks seem to do okay. I would really hate to see Sears go out of business. They are an American institution.

Batty67
January 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
And of course: I get to thinking about picking up another few boxes of the never-seen 100 round bulk pack of Federal FMH in 40S&W at my local WM, and it is long-gone. Next time, I buy at least 5 boxes!

If you enjoyed reading about "Wal-Mart Ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!