Almost a squib?

PDA

popper
January 3, 2012, 03:57 PM
Shot 19 30-30 170 LC w/o GC, using unique. One FTF. Cocked and tried again. Just a click both times. Case looked just like a FTF. I didn't think anything of it till I tried to pull the bullet. Tore the nose off trying to get it out. Finally cut the case in half with pipe cutter. No powder, just carbon residue, mostly stuck to the bottom of the bullet and coating the inside of the case. Lubed with LLA/JPW and it had dried about a week before loading. Yes, I use a light to check the powder before I do anything else. Can that lube kill the powder and primer that easily?

If you enjoyed reading about "Almost a squib?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
January 3, 2012, 04:20 PM
Sound like it just did to me.

rc

Blue68f100
January 3, 2012, 04:56 PM
No powder, your lucky you didn't stick a bullet in the rifleing. Need to get a bullet puller so you don't damage your brass and bullets.

A good reason to use a dry lube for the necks.

rcmodel
January 3, 2012, 05:01 PM
I agree, no powder in the case.

I thought when I replied the first time I saw where you said there was unburned powder stuck to the bullet lube.

I just re-read it and see you said just carbon.

That is a no powder squib for sure.
The primer firing left the carbon on the bullet.

rc

243winxb
January 3, 2012, 05:09 PM
Johnson Paste Wax has a flash point of 88 F degrees. The paraffin & carnauba might be ok, but how about the 85% isoparaffinic hydrocarbon? The base area of the bullet is small. The small amount of lube would not seem to be a problem. In fact over on cast Boolets, someone ask that very question. Is lube on the base of the bullet a problem? All said no, except me. I do not want any lube on the base of my cast bullets. But thats just me. I think you forgot the powder. Sorry. :)

popper
January 3, 2012, 05:34 PM
Bullet didn't even move in the case, made NO noise other than the hammer click. I wipe the GC when I use one, didn't have any on these. Guess I was lucky, no harm, no foul - just have to be more careful. I have bullet pullers but couldn't get this one out with vice-grip and the press - hard cast lead still tears. It didn't even have much of a crimp, just enough to remove the flare. I guess the temp and lube glued the bullet in, they usually just pull right out and I put them in the melt can.

rsrocket1
January 3, 2012, 06:34 PM
I wonder what the stuck projectile does to your case pressure if it is glued in that strongly. I hope you aren't loading these hot. Hopefully if you're using a load with Unique, you're just in the 5-10 grain ballpark.

I've shot 158g lead bullets out of my 4" 357 at 231 fps with nothing more than a primer (not intentionally). Most of my squibs however involve the use of a brass rod and hammer which I always keep in my shooting bag.

gamestalker
January 3, 2012, 08:26 PM
Get a new light!

If you enjoyed reading about "Almost a squib?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!