Chronagraphed some privi and hornady 10mm ammo

PDA

R.W.Dale
January 3, 2012, 05:40 PM
Today and definitely learned something.

The privi partisan180g HP loads were very pleasant to shoot and piled brass up neatly at my feet from my g20. I also noted a lack of the glock firing pin slot imprint on the fired primers. Well curiosity got the best of me so I set up my chrony and everything was instantly explained.

This stuff wasn't even supersonic! ! Avg velocity as only 850 fps!!

No wonder it didn't shoot that great.

Next up was the Hornady custom 180g xtp. This stuff was sending cases almost as far away as the targets were. Velocity was an impressive 1223fps! Needless to say recoil was quite a bit more pronounced.

All in all just a little fyi for the search archives

posted via tapatalk using android.

If you enjoyed reading about "Chronagraphed some privi and hornady 10mm ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Cocked & Locked
January 3, 2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks for that info! I've never chronagraphed anything through my Glock 20.

I've got some 10mm Double Tap 180 grain Gold Dot ammo that the box end flap says 1300 fps. Also have some Double Tap 200 grain Hard Cast lead flat point Beartooth ammo. That box end flap also reads 1300 fps.

I've often wondered what the velocity actually is on those DT loads.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2169/3082611/16805181/259406841.jpg

fastbolt
January 3, 2012, 06:58 PM
The 10mm interested me when it was introduced a little while after I'd entered LE.

While it wasn't a .45 (my preferred caliber back then), it was able to fire a 200gr bullet at about 1200fps. There was also a slightly lighter weight 170gr offering listed that reached in the 1400fps range, I believe. (Norma was the most recognized name for the new caliber at that time).

Unfortunately, when it became evident that a 180-190gr JHP reaching only about 990fps was just fine for LE service needs, the 10mm started its decline into being a niche caliber. It probably didn't help that the major ammunition companies apparently weren't interested in giving the 10mm as much attention as the regular service calibers when it came to hollowpoint bullet development and available defensive-type loads.

Handgun hunters (and S&W periodically making a 10mm revolver) and reloaders became the driving force behind keeping the 10mm from fading even further.

It's a bit ironic that the caliber is enjoying a resurgence of interest among the shooting public and some of the firearms makers, but not the major ammunition companies.

Winchester's 175gr STHP is listed at 1290fps, but that's out of a 5.5" test barrel. Not really on a par with the earlier 10mm loads, either, but maybe one of the better big name loads?

Speer isn't interested in the 10mm, it seems.

Federal's 2 loadings are both 180gr loads listed at 1030fps, and even Rem's UMC 180gr load is listed at 1150fps at the muzzle.

The .41 Magnum is still given a bit better representation by the big names. :scrutiny:

At least Hornady still offers a 200gr load, albeit only listed at 1050fps, and all 3 of the Hornady 10mm loads are listed as only using their XTP hunting bullet. Did I miss one?

It might be just as well, though, since I'd wonder if some of the newer pistol offerings would be able to tolerate a steady diet of the original 10mm offerings.

The ill-fated Bren didn't really have the chance to demonstrate its capability in this regard, and the Colt Delta required a bit of revision. I remember shooting some of the Norma loads in a demo G20 back in late '90 (an early import sample in the hands of a Glock rep). I recall thinking that it handled the full power loads pretty well, although the "sproingy" feel of the cycling and the lackluster trigger weren't really interesting to me back then.

I probably should have bought one of the early G20's, though, if only as a curiosity and an example of the effort to produce a new type of service pistol in the cartridge, especially since they were being offered to us for just over $300 w/3 mags. :banghead: Oh well, I'd have had a rather hard time finding good defensive ammunition for it in subsequent years and it would have simply languished in my safe.

I've felt some occasional interest in the 10mm in recent years. partly because I haven't been a reloader for many years (because anything other than new factory ammunition was prohibited for both duty & off-duty use), and partly because the major company offerings seemed to have been ignoring it.

I realize that 10mm enthusiasts who aren't reloaders probably enjoy the hotter loads being offered by some of the smaller ammunition companies, but I've come to prefer being able to buy ammunition for training, practice and carry use that's more easily found, and less costly. Different strokes.

BTW, maybe it's just how I tend to look at things, but I'd not be all that anxious to buy ammunition made offshore for a caliber that isn't something in actual use where it's being produced.

intercooler
January 3, 2012, 07:09 PM
I have a master sheet I can post when I get home. We got 870 pl and 1155 hornady.

intercooler
January 3, 2012, 10:51 PM
Here you go:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ak5OC6bPsjO8dEh6eGZ3N3hpUU13SXM5cm9pZy16T0E&hl=en_US#

I'm trading this week for a couple of the Georgia Arms that are blank on the sheet. Offer is open to anyone here to do an ammo exchange with me of anything I haven't tested on that sheet. Make it worth your time.

intercooler
January 3, 2012, 10:52 PM
The second tab at the bottom (Discontinued) has the Norma and SwampFox in it.

Gtscotty
January 4, 2012, 12:56 AM
Dale,

I just picked up a G20 SF a couple weeks ago, and have been browsing through all the 10mm threads I can find over at GT (there are a bunch). You're chrono readouts pretty much line up with what folks over there are getting. It seems that the only maker of warm 10mm that actually meets or exceeds their velocity claims is Underwood Ammo. Even though I'm pretty much done getting set up to load for the 10mm, I went ahead and picked up a couple boxes of Underwood ammo (180 JHP, and that wicked 135gr Nosler load). My ammo shipped really quick, so maybe I'll get to run it over a chrono this Sunday.. I'm expecting some interesting numbers from the 6in LWD barrel. Up until now, the only 10mm ammo I've shot through the G20 is Atlanta arms 180gr FMJs, they Chrono'd between 980 and 1100 FPS. When I inquired with AA about the velocity of their ammo and they stated that it was loaded to 1000fps, so I guess thats pretty much right on.

Intercooler,

Is that the 10mm Ammo velocity chart that is often referenced from youtube? Are you compiling those readings? Thanks for going through all of that effort, it's really annoying how little of the available 10mm is loaded to the cartridge's potential (or even the manufacturers claims).

intercooler
January 4, 2012, 02:03 AM
David Sneed of YouTube started it. I turned it into a igoogle sheet so everyone could access it. After that I have been buying, testing and adding everything I can get my hands on. Anymore I kind of rather trade for test ammo especially in the case of stuff that doesn't look stellar. As you see Doubletap doesn't meet claims. I also have a .357 and 9mm sheet and it falls short there too.

intercooler
January 4, 2012, 02:27 AM
Post back when you get your results. I got a nice gain out of my 6" with the 135's but the heavier bullets gain little.

R.W.Dale
January 4, 2012, 11:37 AM
I was impressed with the hornady ammunition. According to their claimed velocities which were right for the 10mm I tested that with the same bullet weight it holds almost a 300fps advantage over the same bullet loaded in .40

Gtscotty
January 4, 2012, 10:32 PM
Looks like I won't have the 6 in barrel in time for a range visit this Sunday. I had ordered the barrel from Swamp Fox Gunworks, and apparently the sole operator of that outfit died back in November... I really should have been paying better attention to the 10mm threads, thinking back I believe I had read that news somewhere earlier. None the less, I went ahead and ordered the same barrel from Glock Store, so i'll try to post up my numbers when all the parts come together.

R.W.Dale
January 4, 2012, 11:24 PM
Right now I'm struggling with the added width of CC on the big 10 compared to the 34 shown.

I know its only a couple tenths but it FEELS like twice as much gun on my side

Cricoid
January 4, 2012, 11:30 PM
Oh man...people are going to find out about Underwood Ammo. I better stock up now! They're my go to for full-house 10mm at a very attractive price.

Cocked & Locked
January 4, 2012, 11:45 PM
I wonder why Underwood does not show the velocities on their site...hmmm :scrutiny:

Gtscotty
January 5, 2012, 12:19 AM
I wonder why Underwood does not show the velocities on their site...hmmm

They do, at the bottom under "ballistics info"... as an aside, it looks like their website won't work with Chrome anymore... bummer.

intercooler
January 5, 2012, 01:02 AM
Yea they are all there and real unlike DoubleTap.

Kevin is great and people know his ammo now. Some other options exist too though and more are popping up.

Sommerled
January 5, 2012, 02:13 AM
In my Kimber 10mm 5" barrel:
factory hornady 180gr XTP ave. 1254 fps. 155gr XTP ave. 1360 fps
Handload with best accuracy: 180gr GDHP with 11.0gr Blue Dot ave. 1277 fps will shoot 1.22" at 25' when my eyes can focus.

If you enjoyed reading about "Chronagraphed some privi and hornady 10mm ammo" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!