Hornady LNL question

PDA

0hw0rd
January 3, 2012, 11:11 PM
I was adjusting my .223 seating/crimping die last night and decided to run an empty case through to see how much the die was crimping and noticed that one side of the mouth was crimped in noticeably more than the other directly across from it. I tried two more shells and got the same results with both. I figured it was a result of the shell moving as it kind of loses its spring support in station 5, but got the same results after moving it to station 3. When I seat a bullet, its not noticeable, and appears to be seated and crimped correctly. Am I nitpicking or is this an issue?

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LNL question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Blue68f100
January 4, 2012, 09:48 AM
Without a bullet the weakest part of the brass will move first. The brass should be setting flat on the base, that also helps keep it centered. All the spring does is keep the brass from falling out as the shell plate is rotated. Now if you have a shell plate that is warped the top of all the brass will be tilted in. You can use a straight edge to check this. If warped give Hornady a call and they will send you a new one. Are you doing a separate crimp?

Walkalong
January 4, 2012, 12:20 PM
If the die is OK, and the brass is trimmed square, and the bullet is round, with a decent cannelure, and seated straight, the crimp should be very even. Perhaps not perfect, but certainly fairly uniform all the way around.

thorn-
January 4, 2012, 02:26 PM
Also, note that on the LNL, the brass isn't sitting ON the shell plate. The shell plate only acts as a guide to hold the brass in place as it rotates around. So your subplate will have to be fairly uneven to give bad results. Unless the shellplate is really FUBAR and your brass actually isn't sitting flat on the subplate, those components aren't going to factor into how your brass crimps/resizes/seats/etc.

thorn

If you enjoyed reading about "Hornady LNL question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!