Next Firearm: Bolt-Action Rifle or Handgun?

PDA

Marlin60Man
January 3, 2012, 11:20 PM
So I just got my first real rifle back in October, and then got another one of its older brothers... So I figure I might as well start rounding out my collection. I want to stick with .22LR since it's all I really need and it's dirt cheap.

That being the case, I'm really stuck between either getting a bolt action or a handgun. I think the bolt-action would be kind of neat to take longer shots and be able to shoot whatever I would like out of it--shorts, longs, CBs, etc.

On the other hand, I do like pistol shooting, and finding short-range spots to go pistol shooting is easier than finding long-range spots to go long-range shooting.

I think that the bolt-action would be nice, but basically just more of the same thing as my semi-atuos... Plus I'm not really sure how much further I would really be able to shoot with a bolt-action than a semi-auto, I just basically want something that will cycle subsonic ammo and start shooting out past 100 yards.

On the other hand the handgun would be a totally different realm of shooting, so it wouldn't really feel like just a more challenging version of the same thing... It's kind of its own art.

I've even got my eyes on a few selections of each. Thinking about a Savage Mark II or a CZ 452 ( or maybe a 453, haven't looked into it much)... And as for the pistols, the Ruger 22/45 looks like it's right up my alley, but have also seen a ISSC M22 that looks pretty nice.

I'm gonna end up with both eventually, but just wondering which to get next.

If you enjoyed reading about "Next Firearm: Bolt-Action Rifle or Handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
303tom
January 4, 2012, 08:58 AM
Hell get yourself one of these............

Bubbles
January 4, 2012, 09:10 AM
If you have two rifles already I would get a handgun next.

Actually I'd get two - a revolver and a semi-auto. Both will be fun little plinkers or practice guns, and are great for teaching beginners how to shoot.

War Eagle
January 4, 2012, 09:27 AM
In my opinion it is more beneficial to become proficent in more than one type of firearm. That being said, I'd go with the pistol. Get a good holster, a few extra mags, a couple mag holsters, and head to the range. While at home dry practice , drawing from holster and performing mag changes (CAUTION: Triple check the gun is empty and ensure no ammo is in the dry practice area!).

I'm a sucker for rifles but being proficent with a handgun may come in handy one day.

p.s. My favorite gun in my entire collection (http://gunzoo.com/vault/Mac) is my bolt-action rifle (http://gunzoo.com/vault/Mac/75) even though I do compete heavily in IDPA and USPSA (pistol action shooting matches).

hardluk1
January 4, 2012, 12:18 PM
Think you answered your own quwstion. want to shoot all types of .22 rimfire ammo That is a bolt rifle NOT a semi-auto. Will not cyle with many of the under power rounds and just becomes a notm so good single shot. The CZ is good if you can still find a 452,out of production now. Not many bad .22lr bolt rifles out there. Good cheap practice and great for small game hunting.

If you enjoyed reading about "Next Firearm: Bolt-Action Rifle or Handgun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!