Questions/advice for first AR-10 build

PDA

release879
January 4, 2012, 02:22 AM
I had a much longer post, but I felt I was beating the subject to death.

Building a CA-legal .308 Winchester/7.62 NATO AR-10, my first gun build. I'm in the Army and I carry an M16A4 (or did, until today... f*ckin' bastards gave me an M4... I miss my M16 *sniffle*), I generally know my way around an AR-style rifle.

Purpose is predator/varmint hunting.

Other purpose is long-range shooting. I would like it to reach out and touch 1k with some semblance of accuracy.

My lower is limited to things that are not on the Kasler list... (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=34397&highlight=official+off-list+list) god I hate California. Looking for a good quality stripped lower with a high-quality (I'll pay whatever I need for this one: I want the best) lower parts kit.

I'm building it in Texas but I'm bringing it back with me to California.

Looking at having a 24 inch upper (or longer, if it has much effect... I understand they make 26 inch uppers as well.)

Who makes good, accurate barrels not TOO much money? I am building this rifle over time, cost doesn't mean much to me. I will buy quality parts, but I don't like paying a premium price for a brand name, if you know what I mean. I was hoping you guys could help me with this.

I can answer any additional questions, but this post is gonna get too long if I include all of what I want to say.

Thanks for your time, guys.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions/advice for first AR-10 build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
henschman
January 4, 2012, 04:11 PM
I will assume that by "AR-10" you mean any of the patterns of .308 ARs, though FYI that really only refers to the Armalite pattern. There are several different patterns of .308 ARs out there that are not compatible.

That said, I would look at a Mega MA-Ten receiver set (it is a matched upper and lower that you build on). It is high quality, and the lower takes standard AR-15 parts (except for the ones that are supplied with it), so you can use as high quality parts as you want.

For barrels I would look at Rainier Arms. They have a lot of different Stainless barrels in different lengths and weights, and are priced decently enough.

Stack
January 4, 2012, 08:40 PM
1st I have to say if it were me I would not build an AR 10 type rifle due mostly to, as henschman cautioned the vast array of incompatible psudo AR 10 components. I have and will continue to build many AR 15's in various calibers but for a 10 I would just buy a Larue and get something that works great from the start.http://www.laruetactical.com/obr-762. I had an Armalite which did NOT work at all. Months of customer service was useless. Sold the garbage to a local gunsmith very cheap who regretted making the purchase. But if you really must build a gun, and trust me I do understand the urge, check out Dtech, http://www.dtechsuperstore.com/new_altcal.htm
Awesome options and quality products. I'd talk to Mike before picking a lower.

If you enjoyed reading about "Questions/advice for first AR-10 build" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!