Created a quick access safe for my shotgun

PDA

scotchsean
January 4, 2012, 05:02 PM
I have been looking for something to secure my shotgun but still have quick access to it. There was nothing that fit my need. With kids, I can't even think of trying to keep one loaded even when it is hidden. So I came up with this. I used a solid pistol safe and made some modifications. I might even mount it on the wall! :-)

If you enjoyed reading about "Created a quick access safe for my shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
beeenbag
January 4, 2012, 05:08 PM
looks safe and secure to me. Good idea.

accrhodes
January 4, 2012, 05:13 PM
Very good idea. Glad you posted up some pics.

Skribs
January 4, 2012, 05:22 PM
That's one of the best ideas I've seen in a while. I know Gunvault offers the Breachvault, which IIRC mainly covers the trigger guard, but that requires a key. This idea allows keyless entry.

Just curious, what did you to the sharp edges where you cut?

I would honestly try to market this and make some money if I were you.

browneu
January 4, 2012, 05:27 PM
That is a good idea.

Batta
January 4, 2012, 05:38 PM
Very nice idea

maskedman504
January 4, 2012, 05:43 PM
Just curious, what did you to the sharp edges where you cut?

To me, it looks like electrical tape; if you try to market it, I am sure you could get some type of rubber gasket for the edges.

If you were going to take something like this to market, it could be significantly reduced in size; I mean more contoured to the shape of the gun.

Would a push button trigger lock be more practical? Regardless, that looks like a nice piece of innovation.

docnyt
January 4, 2012, 05:50 PM
That's neat. Can u make me one?

dev_null
January 4, 2012, 05:59 PM
That's pretty good. Just to demonstrate my knack for grasping the obvious, remember to attach it to the studs, not the drywall, if you mount it.

Skribs
January 4, 2012, 06:07 PM
That is true, masked, but it should at least prevent the gun from being pumped (as this one seems to).

JustinJ
January 4, 2012, 06:23 PM
Not exactly a new idea:

http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?id=519

But nice inovation.

FIVETWOSEVEN
January 4, 2012, 06:27 PM
That one just secures the gun to the wall, this one prevents access to the trigger and slide release.

scotchsean
January 4, 2012, 06:33 PM
I just used a grinder to cut, a LOT of sparks:), and a hand file to get the rough edges off. I used 3 layers of gorilla duct tape on the cut edges to protect the gun. I know there is some stuff out there that will "crimp" on, but I had the tape on hand:)

Tom488
January 4, 2012, 06:37 PM
Go to an auto parts store, and get a length of 1/4" or 5/16" black rubber vacuum hose. Cut it to length, split it down the middle, and use it to wrap around the sharp edges. Silicone it in place with some black RTV. It'll look nicer, and better protect the shotgun from scratches.

scotchsean
January 4, 2012, 06:37 PM
To me, it looks like electrical tape; if you try to market it, I am sure you could get some type of rubber gasket for the edges.

If you were going to take something like this to market, it could be significantly reduced in size; I mean more contoured to the shape of the gun.

Would a push button trigger lock be more practical? Regardless, that looks like a nice piece of innovation.
yeah, it's Gorilla tape. I know they have some stuff that would slip on but I didn't have time to look. The way it is now, you can't even rack the slide, I store it with nothing in the chamber as well. Smaller might be nice, and a round cut instead of a square one would be a nice change. But this was quick and relatively easy. I would have been all over the place with a round cut.

scotchsean
January 4, 2012, 06:38 PM
That's pretty good. Just to demonstrate my knack for grasping the obvious, remember to attach it to the studs, not the drywall, if you mount it.
Good tip ;)

scotchsean
January 4, 2012, 06:41 PM
Not exactly a new idea:

http://www.mossberg.com/content.asp?id=519

But nice inovation.
I would not consider that safe at all in regards to keeping my children safe. You can still rack the slide and pull the trigger. Then that hook that sits in the barrel would blast bits all over the place.

scotchsean
January 4, 2012, 06:45 PM
Go to an auto parts store, and get a length of 1/4" or 5/16" black rubber vacuum hose. Cut it to length, split it down the middle, and use it to wrap around the sharp edges. Silicone it in place with some black RTV. It'll look nicer, and better protect the shotgun from scratches.
Great cheap Idea! Thanks!

Hunter125
January 4, 2012, 06:46 PM
My CCW instructor said he uses thiswww.shotlock.com/. The one advantage I could see of yours over the Shotlock is that you can't have anything attached with it, even ghost rings. With your idea I think you could even put a red dot on it if you cut the box just right.

FAS1
January 4, 2012, 06:49 PM
looks similar to the shotlock.

scotchsean
January 4, 2012, 06:50 PM
That's neat. Can u make me one?
If you can find a similar sized pistol safe it is very easy to do. I really like the simplex locks like this one has because it is easy to use in the dark and requires no key or batteries :)

heron
January 4, 2012, 06:52 PM
As to edge treatment, get some door edge-guard molding from an auto parts store -- it's the stuff made to prevent parking-lot dings.

Really clever idea!

scotchsean
January 4, 2012, 06:53 PM
looks similar to the shotlock.
That's nice, I haven't seen it before. But the price! ugh.
BTW, I like your pistol safe. Good price too.

scotchsean
January 4, 2012, 07:03 PM
My CCW instructor said he uses thiswww.shotlock.com/. The one advantage I could see of yours over the Shotlock is that you can't have anything attached with it, even ghost rings. With your idea I think you could even put a red dot on it if you cut the box just right.
I could also store some extra ammo :-)

JustinJ
January 4, 2012, 07:20 PM
http://www.mseworldwide.com/lifejacket/lj4.html

There are also a variety of quick access single gun type locks primarily geared towards securing rifles in a vehcile although many can be mounted in a home as well. They tend to be expensive though.

http://www.chiefsupply.com/Categories/64-Organization-And-Storage.aspx/1

Skribs
January 4, 2012, 08:07 PM
The shotlock is $169...

The Mossberg lock looks like it blocks the ability to pump a round into the chamber. If you do not have a round in the chamber, it will prevent the ability to load and fire.

btg3
January 4, 2012, 08:09 PM
delete

FAS1
January 4, 2012, 11:38 PM
That's nice, I haven't seen it before. But the price! ugh.
BTW, I like your pistol safe. Good price too.
Thanks. I too am a fan of the push button mechanical lock instead of electronics when it comes to securing firearms, especially for quick and reliable access.

FAS1
January 4, 2012, 11:46 PM
I have been looking for something to secure my shotgun but still have quick access to it. There was nothing that fit my need. With kids, I can't even think of trying to keep one loaded even when it is hidden. So I came up with this. I used a solid pistol safe and made some modifications. I might even mount it on the wall! :-)

You also might consider securing the barrel to a wall stud as well with a hook like the mossberg locbox so it can't be used as a prybar.

ms6852
January 5, 2012, 12:24 AM
Pretty ingenious, even use of the electrical tape.

Chris-bob
January 5, 2012, 01:30 AM
I gotta remember this. Definitely a new project for me.

Flopsweat
January 5, 2012, 05:23 AM
Bear in mind that the cheaper pistol boxes have very cheap locks on them. Some can be picked in just a few seconds or will open when struck sharply in the right spot.

hbadger
January 5, 2012, 09:55 AM
This guy made one that works with a RFID bracelet, claims the parts cost about $100.

http://homesecurity-equipments.com/shop/Arduino/video-q1n1kT_8vKE&-DIY_RFID_Shotty_Lock.html (http://http://homesecurity-equipments.com/shop/Arduino/video-q1n1kT_8vKE&-DIY_RFID_Shotty_Lock.html)

I have not examined the design closely, and make no promises as to safety or security. At first glance, however, it looks pretty cool.

FAS1
January 5, 2012, 10:03 AM
Bear in mind that the cheaper pistol boxes have very cheap locks on them. Some can be picked in just a few seconds or will open when struck sharply in the right spot.
I don't think this applies to the push button type lock the OP is using.

btg3
January 5, 2012, 10:09 AM
^^^^
^^^^ re: shotty lock: link didn't work for me, but here's the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1n1kT_8vKE

With this set up, a loaded gun can be fired while locked up.

Flopsweat
January 5, 2012, 12:54 PM
I don't think this applies to the push button type lock the OP is using.
Most of the push button locks I've seen (including the one that I own) also have a manual lock to use when you forget your combination or the battery dies.

FAS1
January 5, 2012, 01:37 PM
Most of the push button locks I've seen (including the one that I own) also have a manual lock to use when you forget your combination or the battery dies.

Mechanical vs. electronic that's where we are not on the same page. You are correct that the electronic ones need a back up. Not needed with a mechanical lock like the OP is using since there is no chance of dead batteries. Just don't forget your combo :D

Flopsweat
January 6, 2012, 10:20 PM
I wonder if I knew that and just forgot it? :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Created a quick access safe for my shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!