Oddly specific C&R list

PDA

TurtlePhish
January 4, 2012, 10:10 PM
I was looking through the ATF's C&R weapons list out of curiosity and noticed that, for some guns, they have specific serial numbers of that weapon listed and only those qualify as C&Rs. For example, these specific SINGLE serial numbers out of all those Norinco AKs:

Norinco (Chinese) AK47S, 5.56x45mm caliber, S/N 403876.
Norinco (Chinese) AK47S84S-1, 5.5 6x 45mm caliber, S/N 303052.
Norinco (Chinese) AK47S, 7.62 x 39mm caliber, S/N 1620127.
:scrutiny:
Can anyone think of any reasoning behind this?:confused: If not, I understand. It's the ATF after all. :p

If you enjoyed reading about "Oddly specific C&R list" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Triangle 66
January 4, 2012, 10:45 PM
The C&R definition includes weapons that have historical significance or are rare.

Anyone can ask the ATF to classify a particular weapon as a C&R.

These weapons obviously are important enough to be recognized as significant enough individually that they are listed.

They may have been the first imported, (I doubt it based on the serial numbers) or owned by some historical figure, or some type of commemorative (which I doubt because those are usually noted as such)

deadin
January 4, 2012, 10:47 PM
I would assume that these are guns that normally would not qualify as C&R but had some "special" feature that was submitted to the ATF for special consideration. When this happens, the individual guns are listed by serial number. (Check out the listings of the "Trapper" carbines on the list. Just because it has a 14" barrel doesn't automatically qualify it as a C&R.)

TurtlePhish
January 4, 2012, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the input. I don't think there was anything significant about these, though, because any of the listed guns that was associated with/owned by a historical figure was listed with that in the description. Same with commemoratives. It seems most likely that deadin is right in saying that they were submitted for special consideration... I can't really think of any other reason.

writerinmo
January 4, 2012, 11:00 PM
Another reason could be that those specific rifles could be verified as being over 50 years old. Combloc firearms are notorious for not letting the ATF have access to any sort of production figures, which is why so many of them are not viable C&R even though they've been manufactured for much longer than the required time period... they just can PROVE it. These might have been some that those serial numbers were on a piece of paper somewhere that detailed production figures for them and gave dates.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oddly specific C&R list" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!