Whats with the Hornady Zombie Themed Z-Max Ammo???

PDA

ntex2000
January 5, 2012, 07:58 PM
What's the deal with this Hornady zombie themed Z-Max ammo???? I just don't get their zombie theme and their references to "zombiegedden" and shooting the living dead. Is there some sort of zombie themed shooting craze going on out there? I saw Hornady's little zombie max video on their web site and it showed some guy in a car wrecking yard shooting with an AR full auto at people dressed up like zombies. Anyway, am I missing something here about shooting zombies that I should be aware of???

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats with the Hornady Zombie Themed Z-Max Ammo???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
newbuckeye
January 5, 2012, 08:00 PM
marketing ploy......

MIgunguy
January 5, 2012, 08:03 PM
sold alot of boxes of 'em the last few weeks at the range where I work (novelty stocking stuffers)... now that we have calibers that we didn't have before X-Mas, I predict we'll still have 'em for Christmas 2012...

ntex2000
January 5, 2012, 08:04 PM
marketing ploy......
I get that part, but who are they trying to sell this stuff to??? Is there some sort of zombie killing subculture out there that's their target market?

CDW4ME
January 5, 2012, 08:05 PM
IMO: It's creative and humorous marketing that increased their sales.
I bought a couple boxes of Zombie Max, just because ^.
I buy regular Hornady XTP bullets for my handloads.

Telekinesis
January 5, 2012, 08:05 PM
Its kind of a joke for those who are "preparing for the coming zombie apocalypse". IIRC the advertisements started coming out around Halloween, though there was no stock anywhere which makes me wonder if they really intended to make the ammo in the first place or were just putting out a few adverts to get publicity. They ended up making the ammo though.

Edit:
I get that part, but who are they trying to sell this stuff to??? Is there some sort of zombie killing subculture out there that's their target market?

People who are "prepers" often use the "zombie apocalypse" as a catch all/worst case scenario because it encompasses the worst kind of societal collapse/bad guys attacking that is foreseeable. And saying "I'm preparing for the zombies" is much more humerus than saying "I'm preparing for Katrina"

Then there are those who watch The Walking Dead :neener:

jpwilly
January 5, 2012, 08:09 PM
It was covered here very recently.

curtix
January 5, 2012, 08:40 PM
Walking Dead could happen tomorrow!!! ;)
That aside can't wait to pick some up!

MachIVshooter
January 5, 2012, 08:52 PM
IMO: It's creative and humorous marketing that increased their sales.

This.

I bought a couple boxes of Zombie Max, just because ^.

Same here.

It's perfectly good ammunition priced the same as it's conventionally boxed/colored counterpart.

Cecil Sharps
January 5, 2012, 09:00 PM
next up wooden slugs for fans of True Blood.

kb58
January 5, 2012, 09:10 PM
It is funny and humorous, right up until the anti-gun people get hold of it and point out that since there's no such things as zombies, guy people must be planning to use it to shoot hungry unarmed people. Why the gun industry would hand the anti's such a great negative marketing tool in order to make gun owners look like crazy paranoids is beyond me. It may be a joke, but since people vote based on preceptions, I just don't see this ending well.

Did you know that the paintball industry specifically forbids red paintball paint? They get it, that portraying their products as something to be used to kill people isn't good for business.

guyfromohio
January 5, 2012, 09:15 PM
Honestly, it's one of the least expensive SD rounds out there. $15-$16/box. I'm not opposed to the humor either.

va1911
January 5, 2012, 09:26 PM
It was explained to me that they rounds are the same as the critical defense just without the nickle cases and a bit cheaper. Oh and green polymer for the marketing.

fireside44
January 5, 2012, 09:30 PM
They get it, that portraying their products as something to be used to kill people isn't good for business.

Maybe if people quit bowing in homage to anti gun dolts we wouldn't have hillary holes, bans on silhouettes at ranges, and pro gun people condemning an ammo manufacturer for making "zombie" ammo. At some point people need to realize that guns are a constitutionally guaranteed right, not something you should apologize for and condemn others for being more abrasive about it.

minutemen1776
January 5, 2012, 09:58 PM
I've also seen lots of zombie-themed targets lately. It's just a marketing fad.

Beetle Bailey
January 5, 2012, 10:47 PM
You know, I've taken a few new shooters out to the range in the past couple years and of course I talk to them over and over about being responsible gun owners. And at some point, either they, their girlfriends, wives, or siblings mention zombies. Of course, it's always as a joke but the zombie thing does seem to come up.

At first I wanted to stay away from that kind of fantasy stuff but now I just embrace it because I figure "whatever gets you to the range and shooting a gun" is worth it. So over the holidays I took a few cousins to a private range for some plinking and for targets, I used milk jugs filled with water and green food coloring (Hornady taught me green is the color of zombies). I called them jugs of "zombie juice" and my cousins loved blasting them with an AK and SKS. They heard about the Z-max ammo but I couldn't find any in stock at the time of the shoot.

Bottom line is they had a ton of fun and want to do it again. And I want to see an anti-gunner on TV complain about Z-max ammo. Because then the country can see just how stupid they are and that their fear mongering is just that.

jsj127
January 5, 2012, 11:53 PM
Just looked at a box tonight at academy. Showed my teenagers they loved them. Lol the ones I was looking at were 308. 168 grain. It said amax (if I remember correctly) for the bullet. I wonder how it would work on zombie Bambi? Or just a target bullet?

Z-Michigan
January 6, 2012, 12:45 AM
Marketing stupids.

Now, if I they would offer some vampire-themed ammo, I could get interested in that. Something like Blade vs. Twilight. Wesley Snipes could be the spokesman.

(no, not serious)

Ben86
January 6, 2012, 01:23 AM
All in good fun. It's actually really good and affordable ammo.

LoonWulf
January 6, 2012, 02:04 AM
hrrrmmm....i think your forgetting Underworld, i mean who WOULDNT want glowy blue bullets? or rounds made of liquid silver. I still want some Zmax ammo, but id buy Vampire and or Werewolf bullets also :D

Justin
January 6, 2012, 05:30 AM
Anyway, am I missing something here about shooting zombies that I should be aware of???

Zombies have hit something of a critical mass in pop culture. From high-budget Hollywood movies, to no-budget z-grade flicks, to a tv show, to video games, to graphic novels, to actual novels, to shoehorning zombies into novels that didn't have them in the first place (http://www.amazon.com/Pride-Prejudice-Zombies-Classic-Ultraviolent/dp/1594743347), zombies have been gnawing on the brains of the American zeitgeist for awhile now.

For those who are bent on preparedness, there's a general feeling that "if you're prepared to withstand the zombie apocalypse, you can probably withstand just about any kind of disaster."

What's interesting is that this concept has gone so mainstream, even the CDC has picked up on it (http://emergency.cdc.gov/socialmedia/zombies_blog.asp).

Given the prevalence of zombies in pop culture, and their perception as an "acceptable target," it's no great surprise that targets sporting zombies have popped up, and from there, ammunition for shooting them.

Ultimately, the creation of this ammo is a marketing gimmick designed to cash in on the current popularity of zombies in the larger culture.

t is funny and humorous, right up until the anti-gun people get hold of it and point out that since there's no such things as zombies, guy people must be planning to use it to shoot hungry unarmed people. Why the gun industry would hand the anti's such a great negative marketing tool in order to make gun owners look like crazy paranoids is beyond me. It may be a joke, but since people vote based on preceptions, I just don't see this ending well.

I find it amusing that for every one pro-gun person who's actually willing to go out and research what the anti-rights activists are up to, there are at least 50 pro-gun people who project their fears on them.

The anti-rights bigots are generally unaware of minor developments like this in the shooting culture, and even if they do become aware of something like this, it's highly unlikely that their actions would result in actual anti-gun legislation.

Elkins45
January 6, 2012, 08:06 AM
I find it amusing that for every one pro-gun person who's actually willing to go out and research what the anti-rights activists are up to, there are at least 50 pro-gun people who project their fears on them.

The anti-rights bigots are generally unaware of minor developments like this in the shooting culture, and even if they do become aware of something like this, it's highly unlikely that their actions would result in actual anti-gun legislation.

I agree with you only up to a point. It's not the professional gun haters I worry about. My fear is that by making ourselves look either faddishly immature (best case) or just plain nutty (worst case) we lose credibility among the masses who weren't particularly anti before.

The professional gun haters need acolytes to be effective and I don't think we need to be helping them create followers.

brnmuenchow
January 6, 2012, 08:21 AM
I agree with you only up to a point. It's not the professional gun haters I worry about. My fear is that by making ourselves look either faddishly immature (best case) or just plain nutty (worst case) we lose credibility among the masses who weren't particularly anti before.

That's one of the thing's I worry about as well or going as far as saying possibly giving the "professional" anti-gun haters the "ammunition" to use against us... I can see it now news at 10. "Another shooting spree and what did they use": "An ASSUALT RIFLE using ZOMBIE AMMO". Just what the anti-gun establishment needs to try and push that agenda. I can understand the-"It's all in good fun" part of it but sooner or later that "Fun" could come back as a "REAL LIFE NIGHTMARE". :uhoh:

fireside44
January 6, 2012, 08:25 AM
I can understand the-"It's all in good fun" part of it but sooner or later that "Fun" could come back as a "REAL LIFE NIGHTMARE".

It's a sad state of affairs when you allow anti gunners to dictate what can and cannot be produced and marketed. This mentality was rampant in the late 80's and early 90's ("high capacity", "cop killer bullets"). We must not revisit it.

newbuckeye
January 6, 2012, 09:10 AM
That's one of the thing's I worry about as well or going as far as saying possibly giving the "professional" anti-gun haters the "ammunition" to use against us... I can see it now news at 10. "Another shooting spree and what did they use": "An ASSUALT RIFLE using ZOMBIE AMMO". Just what the anti-gun establishment needs to try and push that agenda. I can understand the-"It's all in good fun" part of it but sooner or later that "Fun" could come back as a "REAL LIFE NIGHTMARE". :uhoh:

Thats why every time a shooter is wearing anything with a camo pattern, the news doesn't say "a guy walked onto a college campus with a gun".... It says "A camo clad NRA member with an automatic assault weapon blasted his way onto a college campus killing/wounding....." Anything remotely tied to the "gun culture" can and will eventually be used against us by the anti's be it Zombie ammo, Camo clothes, or Evil Black Rifle's.

highpower
January 6, 2012, 09:55 AM
I think the whole Zombie thing is kind of fun.

There is nothing that you can do to mitigate the anti-gun sheeple from finding ways to portray firearms in a bad light. When I get cornered by some anti-gun zealot, I know that the conversation will largely consist of them telling me how the world would be better off without guns.

I have found the best way to end the discussion is to offer them the phone number of a doctor that might be able to remove the stick from their ass.

brnmuenchow
January 6, 2012, 11:12 AM
This mentality was rampant in the late 80's and early 90's ("high capacity", "cop killer bullets"). We must not revisit it.

I remember going through that with the Winchester "Black Talon" era, not something I want to keep reliving, unfortunately the anti-gun groups will look at anything to push their agenda... and I am sick of it, (Just blowing off steam at this point.) :)

Beagle-zebub
January 6, 2012, 11:29 AM
Bottom line on Z-Max ammo? Hornady sells mostly to Americans, and Americans love irony.

Shortened version: Americans love irony.

Haxby
January 6, 2012, 02:40 PM
Wonder how the 308's shoot. Don't want to let 'em get too close.

MachIVshooter
January 6, 2012, 05:20 PM
For those who are bent on preparedness, there's a general feeling that "if you're prepared to withstand the zombie apocalypse, you can probably withstand just about any kind of disaster."

There's actually a lot of truth to that. Zombies are as good a threat proxy as any. Whatever it takes to get folks to stock an appropriate amount of emergency supplies, I'll go with it. If there ever is a major disaster, the better prepared individuals or families are beforehand, the less FEMA and other agencies have to exhaust resources helping them. You never really can be overprepared (unless your preparations are causing you to sink into bad debt).

Sheepdog1968
January 6, 2012, 08:39 PM
sold alot of boxes of 'em the last few weeks at the range where I work (novelty stocking stuffers)... now that we have calibers that we didn't have before X-Mas, I predict we'll still have 'em for Christmas 2012...
I got a box for my brother just for this one reason.

CDW4ME
January 6, 2012, 09:51 PM
If you didn't get the humor before, contemplate that it's offered in .380 acp

Oh NNNNOOOO the zombies are coming, get my .380 :p

deadeye1122
January 6, 2012, 11:18 PM
I picked up a box of .308. JUST IN CASE Plus the box is kinda neet.

Haxby
January 8, 2012, 11:47 AM
Wonder if Leupold's new Zombie scope will have an illuminated, ballistic compensating reticule set up to work with Hornady's 223 Zombie ammo.

Gtimothy
January 8, 2012, 02:07 PM
I bought a box of .223 just to have! I'm not worried about Zombies, I just thought it was cool marketing! The people who have a sense of humor get it, and people who don't, are way too serious! All of the appropriate warnings are on the box and they put in BOLD TYPE that the ammo is "Live ammunition and not a toy" so the anti's can't say that Hornady did anything wrong.

CZguy
January 9, 2012, 12:05 AM
I'm old, so I don't fully understand any of this. (I did however see the night of the living dead, decades ago.) But couldn't one dispatch Zombies at close range with a .22LR? It seams to be that it's the requisite head shot that does it, for them.

Inebriated
January 9, 2012, 12:11 AM
If you would search, you would find countless threads about this.

TxSteve713
February 19, 2012, 12:29 PM
What is the deal with zombie max ammo. Are they marketing that for kids. I'm no tree hugger but with the high color and surely amusing premise, this just has negligent discharge written all over it. If they are man stoppers just say so with out being cute. Geez.

rcmodel
February 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
They are coming!

The customers that is.
It's just a clever marketing ploy to jump on the Zombie craze right now.

They probably sold a gazillion boxes of it at Christmas as shooters gag gifts.

And then there are those that really think they really are coming, that are probably stock-piling it!

Regardless, seems a little silly to me too.
But I'm old and cranky and set in my ways.

rc

Certaindeaf
February 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
Kind of a conundrum. They think we have no brain but that's what de zombeez crave.
fail fail?

CMV
February 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
I like it (the marketing).

Since it appears to be very similar to the Vmax I don't think the intent (for the rifle rounds at least) is to be for SD or human-sized animals. Still a varmint round for rapid expansion & low penetration.

Whenever the 55 gr is in stock I plan to pick some up assuming the prices stay what they are & the range reports say it performs the same as Vmax. Lower cost, so I really don't care if it comes in a cartoon-y box.

As far as attracting children, well, we keep our guns & ammo stored responsibly for a reason. Teaching your kids to respect firearms and storing them responsibly makes the box art a moot point. The ammo could have Spongebob all over it - shouldn't matter.

rcmodel
February 19, 2012, 01:38 PM
Vmax I don't think the intent (for the rifle rounds at least) is to be for SD or human-sized animals.You might be surprised.
The V-Max / Zombie killer is awful much just like the Hornady "Urban TAP" ammo, with a different color plastic tip.

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/detaile159.html?id=130&sID=73

BTW: A 55 grain V-Max or TAP would put Attila the Hun belly up pushing Daisy's with one shot to the chest.
I see no reason the Zombie load would be any different, since it's the same bullet with a sickly green tip.

rc

CMV
February 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
Not saying I'd want to get shot by one.

Depends on what side of the fence you fall for mousegun SD performance.

I'm in the fragmentation camp, but can see how those in the expansion camp would find this a decent SD round. The TAP is designed for fragmentation & the Vmax (and assuming the Zmax) for expansion. The TAP is more of a frangible bullet, no?

Strictly from a .223 perspective BTW. Not a hunter, but if I were going after a hog or deer or some other critter with similar mass to a human (and all I had was .233), Vmax wouldn't be my first choice.

rcmodel
February 19, 2012, 02:13 PM
The Urban TAP, V-Max, and Z-Max are all the same bullet with a different color tip.

They are all designed for explosive expansion without excessive over-penetration.

The object of the Urban TAP loads is to take out a BG with a COM shot, without killing the guy walking his dog down the street a block away in the process.

Makes perfect sense for HD needs to me.

And I am a hunter, and wouldn't prefer V-Max either for that..
If I shoot a deer or hog, I don't want his insides turned to mush and all the edible meat bloodshot from a bullet exploding in his boiler room.

A BG in my house however?
Well, I ain't going to eat him, and a V-Max COM is going to put a permanent end to his nefarious ways..

rc

nastynatesfish
February 19, 2012, 02:34 PM
i bought two boxes each of my 45s. its the same price as tap ammo and hell the box looks cool too.

kingmt
February 19, 2012, 07:50 PM
I haven't found it cheap & when I looked everything I would use is sold out. I hate the idea & it sickens me a bit but if I found them at the prices others said they bought them for I'd stock up with a few thousand in each caliber.

I would repackage & burn the boxes tho.

Sam1911
February 19, 2012, 07:53 PM
<Merged>

Magnuumpwr
February 19, 2012, 10:33 PM
Here is a better pic of a box. Was discussing this very thing with my gun dealer after he gave me a box of them to go with my new Walther PPK/S engraved RKE model pistol.
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg205/magnuumpwr/380ACPHornadyAmmo001.jpg
According to the box they have already found some zombies. Says it's "Certified Zombie Ammunition". It also has a large disclaimer stating it is not a toy. What is up with that?

jbkebert
February 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
Zombie-Max ammunition is available in a variety of zombie-dropping calibers such as 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, .223 Rem., 7.62x39 mm, .308 Win. and 12-gauge 00 Z-shot. Zombie-Max is the only ammunition available that is specifically made for taking out zombies and only zombies. Hornady notes that Zombie-Max is not a toy and should never be used on any plant, animal, vegetation or mineral that isn’t a zombie.

I found the above quote here.http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/hornady-releases-zombie-max/

I have also seen a similar phrasing in other magazines. For this reason i would never carry this ammo for HD/SD as suggested in some previous post. I could just see some overzealous prosecutor having a field day. This person used uber-death rounds not even meant for use to kill this man.

It might not ever happen but I would not take a chance. Same reason I would not ever carry a reload for SD. I know there is no such thing as the dreaded instant death bullet. That doesn't mean the jury would.

Just my opinion. take it or leave it

And yes I bought a couple boxes. My boys love playing zombies on the call of duty games. Bought it more as a fun thing for them. Plus I must say the box is pretty cool.

Art Eatman
February 19, 2012, 11:38 PM
I'll bet there was a bunch of giggling during the discussions about whether or not to do this little game. One of those, "I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when..." deals.

Nice to know that folks have a sense of humor. :D

MilsurpShooter
February 20, 2012, 01:35 AM
Prepare for the zombie invasion? People actually do that? :neener:

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk277/Teutonic_Knight_Funnay/Stuff/Range%20Trips/57f107eb.jpg

Bonesinium
February 20, 2012, 02:01 AM
It is a great marketing technique, and what is even better, is it isn't some crappy ammunition. It is a re-brand of their other, already popular ammunition. When you remark an already popular round like their Critical Defense ammo, price it the same, and make it look neat and related it to zombies, how can it not be good! I was already using Critical Defense, thought it looked cool, and even found it priced cheaper, so of course I bought it! Complete win buy Hornady IMO.

gunfighter48
February 20, 2012, 03:53 AM
Gun haters don't need any excuse for their hatred. We can never do anything to lessen their hatred of guns. And as far as I'm concerned I applaud Hornady for putting some fun into the gun world. When did we gun guys get so self important and stuffy that we can't have a little fun. I've always thought shooting guns was fun and an enjoyable hobby. We need to quit worrying about the gun haters opinion. The only thing that will please them is when all guns are banned. Then they will find something else to hate that they want to ban.

JRH6856
February 20, 2012, 04:28 AM
When you remark an already popular round like their Critical Defense ammo, price it the same, and make it look neat and related it to zombies, how can it not be good! I was already using Critical Defense, thought it looked cool, and even found it priced cheaper, so of course I bought it!

It isn't priced the same, it is $3-$5 a box cheaper then CD, most places, including Hornady's website.

helotaxi
February 20, 2012, 07:05 AM
The component bullets are significantly cheaper in .20 and .22 cal. Like to the tune of $3 per hundred cheaper. I've got 3 boxes of different ones (32gn .204 and 50 and 55gn .224) on the way for that reason. The marketing is better than a lot of the silliness that has come out of Mossberg the last few years.

If you enjoyed reading about "Whats with the Hornady Zombie Themed Z-Max Ammo???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!