Custom Mosin Barrel

PDA

War Squirrel
January 6, 2012, 03:18 AM
Anyone know of a place to get an inexpensive aftermarket barrel for a Mosin? The UK59's dried up before I had a chance to grab one. Will Green Mountain make a finished barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Mosin Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LoonWulf
January 6, 2012, 03:26 AM
I hate to say it, but i think were both SOL on a cheap mosy barrel. If you could get enough folks you could probably talk one of the manufactures into a small run. Other wise your going to have to pay for a custom barrel...i think Lothar will make barrels for the nagant, im sure some one else will chime in with better info.

War Squirrel
January 6, 2012, 03:31 AM
Think we're SOL huh? Ah well...
A Lothar would be crazy expensive, wouldn't it? I'm trying to hover around $250 if at all possible, which is nowhere near their prices I'm sure.

LoonWulf
January 6, 2012, 03:48 AM
No idea on the cost, not even 100% sure as to lothar walter. I think I remember reading about the rifle the owner of rocksolidindustries built and uses having a lothar barrel on it.

War Squirrel
January 6, 2012, 03:50 AM
I checked out their chambering list, and they offer 7.62x54r as "Mosin Nagant chambering". You're probably right about that one being a Lothar Walther. I'll call and see what they say. Thanks!

LoonWulf
January 6, 2012, 03:52 AM
cool, id be interested to know what they say.

Shadow 7D
January 6, 2012, 04:35 AM
I thought TN gun had a bunch that were already turned down for a MN

cleardiddion
January 6, 2012, 06:09 PM
http://www.classicarms.us/firearms.htm

CA had some but it looks as they're sold out at the moment. Might want to give them a call or just check up on the website every so often.

War Squirrel
January 7, 2012, 05:07 AM
I called CA and they said they were sold out for good... I was just too darn late for them I guess. Anyone have a UK59 Mosin barrel they would be willing to let go of?

EDIT: Scratch that, I found out a lovely tidbit of info. Model 70 barrels will fit a Mosin action if you turn off .0018 off the height of the threads. And a Rem700 barrel has enough meat on the tenon to turn off the threads, then turn new ones on the fresh metal. Also, a .308 chamber is dimensionally small enough for a 7.62x54r reamer to make a fresh chamber, as well as having a perfect 1/10 twist rate.
Off to the drawing board! >:D

GooseGestapo
January 7, 2012, 10:35 AM
Give E.R.Shaw a call. I know they will turn a barrel for most commercial actions to match the factory contour. I don't know if they will chamber for the 7.62x54, but a decent gunsmith can install the barrel and ream the chamber. However, I don't know what their current turn-around time is. On their "custom rifles" it's running about 9mos!

Jim Watson
January 7, 2012, 05:08 PM
Model 70 barrels will fit a Mosin action if YOU turn off .0018 off the height of the threads.

Fixed that for you.
I see a lot of Internet Projects that sound superficially interesting IF you have the tools and knowhow to do it yourself. But paying a gunsmith to do heavy work on a surplus rifle these days is going to run the cost up out of all proportion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Custom Mosin Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!