Got a Nordic +6 Mag Tube for My 28" Baikal MP153 (Remington Spartan SP453)... BUT...

PDA

Mike1234567
January 7, 2012, 05:20 AM
...the tube nut doesn't seat all the way down. If I want to use this mag extension then I'll have to do one of two things:

1. Make a custom brass spacer.
2. Remove about 3/16" of the rear portion of the finer (tube) threads (on the Nordic tube nut).

QUESTION: Which would you suggest and why? BTW, there are plenty of tube threads so removing 3/16" won't have any effect on reliabilty.

No, I don't "need" the extended mag tube but it's kewl so I "want" it. No need to chastise me for messing up it's handling because, after all, the tube is easily removed. I even got a couple of piccy rails for the coupler.:neener:

ETA: Along with hiding one round under the carrier latch this will be a 12 round semi-auto shotgun (with 2-3/4" shells). Fun, fun, FUN!!:D

ETA: Clarified from which part the threads would be removed... from the Nordic tube nut.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a Nordic +6 Mag Tube for My 28" Baikal MP153 (Remington Spartan SP453)... BUT..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sobel
January 7, 2012, 05:55 AM
12 round semi auto shotgun really sounds cool, I'd love to see pictures as I usually don't look at shotguns

Mike1234567
January 7, 2012, 06:01 AM
^^^ I'll take pics then... when the sun rises.:)

BTW, Nordic makes longer tubes and their springs are AWESOME!!

Mike1234567
January 7, 2012, 04:06 PM
Here are the pics. I didn't take much time with them because, well, I'm lazy.

The tube extension in the pics isn't the +6 Nordic but a +3 other brand... again, I was too lazy to swap them out and then back again.

The tube clamp is the Nordic piece though. For some reason Nordic doesn't offer a clamp with two rails... just one. However, they do sell extra rails so I bought one for the other side.

I didn't notice the rust inside the hex hole on the screw until I took the shotgun outside for photos. I'm happy with the clamp and rails but disappointed that Nordic would supply substandard screws.

Anyway... the pics.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x214/250_GTO/250%20GTO/Baikal%20Shotgun/DSCN6193b.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x214/250_GTO/250%20GTO/Baikal%20Shotgun/DSCN6202b.jpg

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x214/250_GTO/250%20GTO/Baikal%20Shotgun/DSCN6201b.jpg

USAF_Vet
January 7, 2012, 07:52 PM
Add the spacer. Because it's not a permanent alteration to the gun.

and you might want to do something about that wood. Haven't you heard, black polymer is the way to go for tactical. :D

Sweet looking scattergun.

Mike1234567
January 7, 2012, 09:36 PM
^^^ I probably didn't state this clearly enough but "modifying the threads" would be on the Nordic part... the new tube nut... and even those are replaceable. :) I'm not making any permanent alterations to the gun.

I saw the tiger stripes on this gun's stalk and hand-guard and couldn't resist the seller's offer. It was a pretty decent deal but not a steal by any means. On the plus side, the seller told me he'd only sent a few rounds down the pipe... less than 20, I think... and I believe it. The thing arrived looking brand new.

BTW, if I add an adjustable choke (longer) then I might buy the +8 tube and let it stick out a bit. :D

Sobel
January 7, 2012, 10:54 PM
I like the sights, I also like the wood looks like it has some really nice stripes.

USAF_Vet
January 7, 2012, 11:48 PM
^^^ I probably didn't state this clearly enough but "modifying the threads" would be on the Nordic part... the new tube nut... and even those are replaceable. I'm not making any permanent alterations to the gun.
then it's a case of 6 of one, a half dozen of the other. Or which ever would be less work and/ or expense.

Justin
January 8, 2012, 09:49 PM
Just make a spacer. You wouldn't even necessarily need to use brass. Back when I ran a Franchi 612 as a 3 Gun shotgun, the tube extension I used required the use of a nylon plastic spacer.

I never had a problem with it, and the only downside to it was keeping track of it when taking the gun apart for cleaning.

Mike1234567
January 8, 2012, 10:05 PM
I didn't think of nylon... a black nylon spacer would be just fine and would be the easiest to implement. I'm trying to avoid making a visual mess of this gun since I like the looks of it. Nylon would, indeed, work very well. So... it's either a polished brass spacer, or blackened brass, or black nylon, or remove some threads from the Nordic nut.

I'm going to try the latter ^^^ since I can buy another barrel nut from Nordic if I mess it up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got a Nordic +6 Mag Tube for My 28" Baikal MP153 (Remington Spartan SP453)... BUT..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!