Eskabar Sheath

PDA

lobo9er
January 7, 2012, 01:39 PM
Should I get rid of the Eskabar sheath? Just recieved knife 2day happy to say but I watched a couple videos showing the sheath dulling the knives becuase of the material they are constructed of. Any expieriences with the Eskabar here?

If you enjoyed reading about "Eskabar Sheath" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
conw
January 7, 2012, 06:23 PM
If you like the knife I'd definitely get a custom sheath of kydex. That factory sheath is a monstrosity.

mole
January 7, 2012, 09:53 PM
The only reason I haven't gotten one is the sheath issue.

conw
January 8, 2012, 12:39 AM
I like thin kydex and a teklok or better yet, spyderco gclip.

lobo9er
January 8, 2012, 01:34 AM

hso
January 8, 2012, 12:31 PM
You don't usually find great sheaths on production knives and it seems very strange to complain about the sheath on a knife with the value of an Eskabar (and it comes with the sheath at that $30 price).

There's no question that the sheath is a compromise due to having to be mass produced out of glass filled nylon to make it strong and keep costs down, but you can certainly modify it or make your own from kydex if you care to.

As to claims that the sheath dulls the knife, not in my personal experience.
I've seen the video where the various blades of knives like the Becker Necker are used to make 3 cuts on the sheath material and the KaBar material dulls the edge more than the kydex or the ESEE plastic, but that's not a realistic representation of the sheath affecting the knife edge since you don't draw the edge over the material as you draw the knife. I'll agree that if ESEE is using an injection molded polymer sheath that won't dull the edge KaBar might consider looking at the material compared to their glass filled nylon, BUT I don't see the edge being dulled by contact with the sheath because I don't see mine being dulled in actual use so I'm not sure why the material would need to be changed.

Would you want a more expensive sheath to fix a problem that doesn't actually exist?

lobo9er
January 8, 2012, 05:58 PM
Would you want a more expensive sheath to fix a problem that doesn't actually exist?

mine actually does dull the blade. I dont think it is strange to wonder if others have had that problem or to consider a new sheath in the cost. I dont draw my blade like the video, so it doesnt dull it as severe, but enough so I wont use the sheath any more. Which is to bad cause it retains the blade great. At close to $40 dollars I wasnt expecting the sheath issue. How long would it have taken me to notice if not for the video? Probably awhile because that guy is drawing with the intent of making contact with the blade.

conw
January 8, 2012, 06:26 PM
I noticed the sheath dulling issue with daily use after a few days. It would be nearly totally dull. Ymmv with different technique and a different specimen.

Let me go on the record as saying they're fine knives and the sheath shouldn't discourage bargain hunters looking for a versatile fixed blade.

lobo9er
January 8, 2012, 06:38 PM
Let me go on the record as saying they're fine knives and the sheath shouldn't discourage bargain hunters looking for a versatile fixed blade.
+1
I'm liking mine alot. I'm cutting some orange kydex as we speak err type, and catching up on some south park.

gotigers
January 10, 2012, 02:07 PM
I got my Eskabar around Thanksgiving. It is a nice knife. I like to carry when i have a shirt untucked. It is invisible. It is a great deal even if you want to replace the sheath.

Storz
January 12, 2012, 10:46 AM
Def go custom, I had one made by a member here on the forum and it is FANTATIC!!

http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc184/sam1911/Knife%20Work/071611003.jpg

Sam1911
January 12, 2012, 10:56 AM
Hey, that looks pretty good! ;) Still so glad you like it!

lobo9er
January 12, 2012, 07:44 PM
still have to make my press for the kydex. hopefully it comes out something like that one! nice stuff!

lobo9er
January 12, 2012, 07:46 PM
I do find it od at any price point that a company that has been making knives for as long as KA bar would use a dulling material for the sheath. But what are ya gonna do. some times things get over looked

Nematocyst
July 10, 2012, 05:08 PM
So, as of today, I'm looking at an Eskabar now for a FB EDC,
and it sounds like custom sheath is the way to go.

Storz, can you say who made your sheath for yours? If not publicly, perhaps PM?

I've got a couple of options already, but choices are always good.

hso
July 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
KaBar changed the sheath material in response to consumer concerns.

Nematocyst
July 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
Me thinks the blade is more important.

conw
July 11, 2012, 01:08 AM
For defensive use or dedicated FB carry you'd be surprised. The sheath can prevent you from carrying or accessing it.

For hard frequent use, no doubt the knife's the thing.

Nematocyst
July 11, 2012, 03:58 AM
Totally agree. But here's my point.

Given a perfectly designed and functional knife AND sheath,
but you could carry only one, which would you rather have for self defense?

If you enjoyed reading about "Eskabar Sheath" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!