"The Box" went to the range today.

PDA

TITAN308
January 7, 2012, 05:59 PM
Some friends have nick named it "the box" (a test unit - this is not its final dimensions/shape lol)

http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/6326/dscf3873g.jpg

http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2710/dscf3871l.jpg

---> VIDEO OF THE BOX (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8BDe_Dew0o)

If you enjoyed reading about ""The Box" went to the range today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
FlyinBryan
January 7, 2012, 06:10 PM
are those "boxing gloves"?

Dorkfish88
January 7, 2012, 06:22 PM
what the hell is that? trying to make your AR look like a G11?

Bobson
January 7, 2012, 06:50 PM
Deleted.

jpwilly
January 7, 2012, 07:06 PM
what is it?

Sergeant Sabre
January 7, 2012, 07:09 PM
Plasma rifle, 40 watt range?

NOLAEMT
January 7, 2012, 07:20 PM
well, what is it already?

JDGray
January 7, 2012, 07:23 PM
Your suppose to take it out of the box, before shooting.:D

padkeemow
January 7, 2012, 07:37 PM
It is a crime if that thing doesn't go zap when it fires.

Dorkfish88
January 7, 2012, 07:38 PM
you have "out-of-the-box" accuracy, then in this case, you have "in-the-box" accuracy

towboat_er
January 7, 2012, 07:56 PM
Whats the purpose??

TITAN308
January 7, 2012, 08:26 PM
Its a teaser box!

newbuckeye
January 7, 2012, 08:40 PM
I'm not sure what it is, but I wouldn't wanna pack it around much!

Bobson
January 7, 2012, 09:54 PM
What's a teaser box? I'm getting the feeling everything in this thread is its' purpose. Confusion for the sake of confusion.

Just a DPMS LR-308 wrapped in black sheet metal?

hammerklavier
January 7, 2012, 09:58 PM
It's the new Glock AR-15.

TITAN308
January 7, 2012, 10:06 PM
Oooo I like the Glock idea lol

gunnutery
January 7, 2012, 10:36 PM
It's the new Glock AR-15.

LOL!

It's about time! :)

spikedzombies
January 7, 2012, 10:52 PM
Jut another custom black rifle with glock stamping.
Sent vs Mytouch 4G

LeonCarr
January 8, 2012, 02:05 AM
How many aluminum cans had to sacrifice their lives for that stock?

Looks pretty cool.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

forindooruseonly
January 8, 2012, 02:12 AM
That's it. The quad-rail craze has gone too far.

Dr.Rob
January 8, 2012, 02:15 AM
Is that a stabilized stock of some sort or a 'cover' for a new design ala bodywork disguised prototype cars?

Justin
January 8, 2012, 02:50 AM
There's more info on the gun if you click the link in the OP's sig line.

padkeemow
January 8, 2012, 03:34 AM
Is there a reason it's called a railgun other than the aesthetics?

Saakee
January 8, 2012, 03:38 AM
gonna cut some channels in it, pipe some blue glowire, and maybe add a charging sound mod that trips when a mag is installed? (Not mocking, the glowire and channels for the light would be kinda cool actually. Computer case mods meet black rifles.)

TITAN308
January 8, 2012, 10:23 AM
I was thinking a hot pocket dispenser would be a must-have for the range.

So don't go trying to patent a hot pocket battle compartment. :cuss:

P.B.Walsh
January 8, 2012, 01:17 PM
Really, what is the advantage/purpose?

TITAN308
January 8, 2012, 01:21 PM
Patience! As others have indicated its the same concept as a car company driving around a prototype with a bunch of coverings to make it look odd or unidentifiable. :)

Geno
January 8, 2012, 01:26 PM
Well, anticipation is half the fun. But now I've got that jingle "Hhhot pocket" swirling about in my mind. Oh, and I sure would like to see you test a variant of a Glock-in-the-box. :neener:

Thanks!! :D

Geno

TITAN308
January 8, 2012, 01:34 PM
You would get a good laugh if I shared comments from other forums around the interwebs. People are actually getting mad and insulting - demanding answers as to what it is.

People sure are not kidding about the "entitlement" generation. Quite sad - very few people seem to be able to display patience and anticipation of something new and enjoy the trip. Its all about NOW NOW NOW.

snakeman
January 8, 2012, 02:08 PM
I think it looks interesting.

Chris-bob
January 9, 2012, 01:10 AM
In all of this you never mentioned if you were pleased with the results at the range.

TITAN308
January 9, 2012, 07:31 AM
The short answer: its starting to do what it was made for.

The long answer: its not complete so I can't speak in absolutes yet.

ultradoc
January 9, 2012, 08:06 AM
It holds a cleaning kit,sling,ammo,a couple of mre's,extra hearing protection and eye protection and a P3AT. :]

jpwilly
January 9, 2012, 08:55 AM
BBQ Grill! Cooks your food while you shoot!

TITAN308
January 9, 2012, 09:36 AM
I have considered trademarking a Hot Pocket dispenser.

Perhaps, the HP Battle Compartment Hand Guard (TM).

bob barker
January 9, 2012, 09:55 AM
I read what you wrote about this on another forum. You said you desiged it to allow for long range bench shooting. The added weight to help stabilize the gun and recoil. I cant remember what you said it weighed but I remember it is HEAVY. How hot did the barrel get under the "Box". I am guessing pretty damn hot!

Looks ok, not exactly sure how practical except for "F" Class.

TITAN308
January 9, 2012, 10:11 AM
I read what you wrote about this on another forum. You said you desiged it to allow for long range bench shooting. The added weight to help stabilize the gun and recoil. I cant remember what you said it weighed but I remember it is HEAVY. How hot did the barrel get under the "Box". I am guessing pretty damn hot!

Believe it or not the heat buildup in the compartment was very marginal. A few mag dumps of .308 got the bull barrel hot enough to melt your face (OK - that's a bit far fetched, but you get the idea). Because of the venting though the heat dispatched into the atmosphere very quickly and build up was almost non-existent.

Revision 1 begins next week, so hopefully it will be done by the start/middle of Feb.

Revisions will include:

JP Muzzle Brake fully integrated. The tip of the brake will sit flush with the shroud and appropriate vents will be cut to allow proper exit of gas. (Think of the exhaust design of newer sports cars - the muzzle tips all look integrated to the chassis).

VLTOR side mounted bi-pod legs. We did experience some "wobble" do to weight/height with a standard bi-pod. Putting side mounts will eliminate the tipsy feel and also lower the center of gravity a bit more.

The shroud itself will be getting its overall shape trimmed up a bit. Moving toward a classic octo-shape, but still retain its over sized dimensions for the weight compartments (I think we are shaving 1/2" off the height and 1/2" of the width, but length remains the same). The shroud will flow better with the rifles lines than it does currently.

Other goodies include an upgraded 1 piece quick detach scope mount, a phase 5 extended bolt release, extended mag release, better buffer tube setup and some bolt carrier upgrades.

Weight fully loaded with all gear present puts it at about 27lbs 5o, our overall goal was somewhere in the 30-40lb area.

The great thing about all this is its all modular and the rifle can be stripped back to it standard form in a minute or two.

If you enjoyed reading about ""The Box" went to the range today." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!