Today is Ronald Reagan's birthday

PDA

Henry Bowman
February 6, 2004, 10:22 AM
Born in 1911!

Wish he were still with us in mind as well as body and spirit.

If you enjoyed reading about "Today is Ronald Reagan's birthday" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mulliga
February 6, 2004, 10:50 AM
I read some of the book "A Life in Letters." Reagan is perhaps the most plainspoken and eloquent president in decades. Brought down the Soviet Union, but didn't have to take us to nuclear war to do it. Truly, he is the "Great Communicator."

Greg L
February 6, 2004, 12:10 PM
Happy birthday Mr. President.

(I wish that you were still mentally here to realize it :( )

Greg

Bill Hook
February 6, 2004, 01:08 PM
National Holiday?

Khornet
February 6, 2004, 02:03 PM
TWO!

Peggy Noonan says that in writing her book she couldn't find anyone who could recall Reagan being rude or arrogant. She thought that was too good to be true, and searched hard.

Finally she found a man who'd been Maitre d' at a resaturant when Reagan came in and said he had a reservation. The man apologized, saying there was none on the book. Reagan insisted, and finally the Maitre d' offered to find him a table if he didn't mind waiting. "Forget it," said Reagan, and left in a huff.

Peggy thought that was more like it. "Did you ever see Reagan again?" she asked.

"Oh, yes. The next day, when he came by to apologize to me for being rude."

Carnitas
February 6, 2004, 02:17 PM
NATIONAL HOLIDAY!!!!! I like it.

Time to fire of an email to my congresscritter. However, I think I'll suggest that instead of it being a day off for government workers, it be an income tax reduction day where all the governmet workers work for free; first wed. in February.

grnzbra
February 6, 2004, 03:18 PM
A Wednesday sounds good. Thursday holidays sometimes get Friday too, and Tuesday holidays sometimes get Monday as well. So Wednesday should be good for the whole week off.

Khornet
February 6, 2004, 05:06 PM
which will choke you up:

http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/robinson200402060920.asp

Malone LaVeigh
February 6, 2004, 05:18 PM
I used to think RR was the worst president we had ever had. Until the next three, that is.

deanf
February 6, 2004, 05:24 PM
http://www.ronaldreagan.com/tradition.html

PRESIDENTIAL TRADITION

I never ceased to enjoy reviewing our men and women in uniform and hope I started a new tradition for presidents. As commander in chief, I discovered it was customary for our uniformed men and women to salute whenever they saw me. When I'd walk down the steps of a helicopter, for example, there was always a marine waiting there to salute me. I was told presidents weren't supposed to return salutes, so I didn't, but this made me feel a little uncomfortable. Normally, a person offering a salute waits until it is returned, then brings down his hand. Sometimes, I realized, the soldier, sailor, marine, or airman giving me a salute wasn't sure when he was supposed to lower his hand. Initially, I nodded and smiled and said hello and thought maybe that would bring down the hand, but usually it didn't. Finally, one night when Nancy and I were attending a concert at the Marine Corps headquarters, I told the commandant of marines, "I know it's customary for the president to receive these salutes, but I was once an officer and realize that you're not supposed to salute when you're in civilian clothes. I think there ought to be a regulation that the president could return a salute inasmuch as he is commander in chief and civilian clothes are his uniform." "Well, if you did return a salute," the general said, "I don't think anyone would say anything to you about it."

The next time I got a salute, I saluted back. A big grin came over the marine's face and down came his hand. From then on, I always returned salutes. When George Bush followed me into the White House, I encouraged him to keep up the tradition.

tiberius
February 6, 2004, 05:29 PM
1911: Ronald Wilson Reagan was born, the first Indianapollis 500 was run and the finest pistol ever produced was adopted by the U.S. Army.... It was a very good year. :)

Happy Birthday Mr. Reagan! we miss you.

Bill Hook
February 6, 2004, 06:01 PM
I used to think RR was the worst president we had ever had. Until the next three, that is.

Kennedy (Viet Nam - the beginning, Cuban screw-ups, and a resulting near-Armageddon) , LBJ (Viet Nam, Classless Society [we're there, I say after watching Super Bowl half-time], etc.) and Carter (hostages, inflation, and a tanked economy) were sooooo much better. :rolleyes:

HunterGatherer
February 6, 2004, 06:23 PM
I used to think RR was the worst president we had ever had. Until the next three, that is.Lefties are such cheerful folk.

Happy Birthday Mr. President

Here's to my former CinC

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/navigator/usa.gif

Henry Bowman
February 6, 2004, 06:32 PM
Khornet - It sure did.

CZ-100
February 6, 2004, 07:15 PM
In 1985, I had the HONOR to meet President Reagan at Ramstien Air Base, Germany. I got to shake his hand. :D

I will always remember that. I was 20 yrs old. :D

Destructo6
February 6, 2004, 10:06 PM
Happy birthday, uncle Ron.

BowStreetRunner
February 6, 2004, 10:42 PM
meeting him would be an honor CZ, you are lucky :)

BowStreetRunner
February 6, 2004, 10:50 PM
i just found this site, it is pretty cool:
http://www.presidentreagan.info/speeches/brandenburg_gate.cfm

cracked butt
February 7, 2004, 01:06 AM

And probably the next twenty as well.

:neener:

Happy Birthday Ronald Reagan!

If you enjoyed reading about "Today is Ronald Reagan's birthday" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!