Cane shotgun

PDA

mac266
January 9, 2012, 10:03 AM
I'd like to get one of those canes that is also a shotgun. I know this is considered an NFA item and requires lots of hoop-jumping for the ATF, but I don't know where to begin. Can someone tell me how to get started?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cane shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hamilton Felix
January 9, 2012, 11:03 AM
I haven't heard of one commercially manufactured in modern times. In times past, there were cap & ball cane guns. Any cartridge cane gun today would be (I think) classified Any Other Weapon. Maybe ask a Class III Dealer for the rules on that one.

Not long ago, I was talking with a dealer about suppressors he had. A customer wondered about legally making one. Answer was that you'd have to first obtain the appropriate manufacturers license, before there was any way you could build one legally. So, many thousands of dollars and many months of time spent before you could do it - puts it in the realm of "theoretically possible," but not something you or I could afford. Much cheaper to pay $300 - 900 for a suppressor, plus $200 transfer tax, plus sales tax, etc. and just buy one. I'd say the cane gun thing would be at least as difficult. Certainly not rocket science to build, but worse than rocket science to build legally.

That's my uneducated opinion...

CoRoMo
January 9, 2012, 11:57 AM
I was talking with a dealer about suppressors he had. A customer wondered about legally making one. Answer was that you'd have to first obtain the appropriate manufacturers license, before there was any way you could build one legally. So, many thousands of dollars and many months of time spent before you could do it - puts it in the realm of "theoretically possible," but not something you or I could afford. Much cheaper to pay $300 - 900 for a suppressor, plus $200 transfer tax, plus sales tax, etc. and just buy one.
I would not revisit the store of a dealer who lies like that. There is no requirement to get a 'manufacturer's license' to build your own suppressor.

~$50 or so in material, $200 for a tax stamp, and all you need is the means to turn the material into a suppressor. No manufacturer's license required unless you plan to make a living at it.

Now... back to the cane shotgun discussion.

dprice3844444
January 9, 2012, 12:27 PM
hardist part will de designing the firing mechanism

dprice3844444
January 9, 2012, 12:28 PM
http://search.aol.com/aol/search?query=cane+gun+blueprints&s_it=keyword_rollover

mac266
January 9, 2012, 01:26 PM
Ugh. Thanks for a whole lot of nothing.

I'm not going to build anything; there were quite a few cane shotguns manufactured to fire modern smokeless shells back in the 1890s through the 1920s. Given that they were fired very little, most of them are quite functional.

I'm not building a supressor, and I'm not creating a firing mechanism for the cane shotgun.

Can someone please just tell me where to get started on legally acquiring one?

Sam1911
January 9, 2012, 01:56 PM
Best thing would be to find a FFL dealer in your state who is Special Occupational Tax-payer Class 3. That means he can sell NFA Title II items like the "Any Other Weapon" cane gun you want.

Then you'll need to find one for sale somewhere that you can buy and have transferred to your dealer for you.

As the registry is not closed for AOWs, it would be legal for a Special Occupational Tax Class 2 Manufacturer to make one to sell to you. I don't know of any who are doing that as a production sort of thing, so that could be expensive.

Once you have one in mind to buy, you'll need to fill out the Form 5320.4 (http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-4.pdf) (and produce the related submittals) to register it in your name.

Prince Yamato
January 9, 2012, 02:20 PM
You could probably make one yourself as a Form 1 AOW. You could quite easily create a "slam-fire" cane gun.

Strykervet
January 9, 2012, 02:29 PM
Ugh. Thanks for a whole lot of nothing.

I'm not going to build anything; there were quite a few cane shotguns manufactured to fire modern smokeless shells back in the 1890s through the 1920s. Given that they were fired very little, most of them are quite functional.

I'm not building a supressor, and I'm not creating a firing mechanism for the cane shotgun.

Can someone please just tell me where to get started on legally acquiring one?
I know what you mean. There was one at a auction house I really wanted a while back. Problem was, they had no idea of the date, registration, anything. I think it fired modern ammo so that was a problem for me. In the end, I think they ended up selling it, probably illegaly, and for less that it was worth. This one was pretty nice too, no way you could tell it was a firearm. Good luck finding one though, but that auction house did say things like that turn up from time to time but that they usually aren't in such fine shape.

I'd like to start a business making AOW's, but getting the papers, licenses, rent, gear, on and on, they make it impossible. Want to know why America doesn't make anything anymore? Because you can either afford the licenses, taxes and fees, or you can afford to run a business, but not both.

fatcat4620
January 9, 2012, 02:45 PM
Put a pistol grip on a single shot shotgun with a 30 inch barrel. Then a rubber bumper on the end of the barrel and your done. From there you could dress it up a much as you want.

JohnnyK
January 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
gun broker has a lot of cool class 3 stuff

Magoo
January 11, 2012, 04:47 PM
This guy has some: http://www.micksguns.com/special%20shotguns.htm

Like Sam said, you'll need to find a local Class 3 dealer to help you out with any transfers.

You weren't expecting this to be inexpensive were you?

jimmyraythomason
January 12, 2012, 08:08 AM
Be sure to check YOUR STATE laws if you haven't already. Cane guns are illegal in my state no matter what Federal hoops you have jumped through. Be worth checking out beforehand.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cane shotgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!