The thought of a new gun paralyzes me -

PDA

Tim the student
January 9, 2012, 11:03 AM
Because I can't decide what I want, but I know i want something!

I have enough money saved up in my gun slush fund to start thinking about a new gun, and I can't decide what to do.

This ever happen to anyone else, or am I the only decision impaired person in here?

If you enjoyed reading about "The thought of a new gun paralyzes me -" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bovice
January 9, 2012, 11:10 AM
Well, how much do you want to spend and what are you considering getting?

Mauser lover
January 9, 2012, 11:13 AM
Never happens to me, except the day before I actually buy it. You know, you walk into the gun shop, and see a PRISTINE (insert whatever style of gun you like) and suddenly develop doubts about buying (insert whatever you were going to get), and you walk out with what you saw, not what you were going to buy. :D

LSMS
January 9, 2012, 11:16 AM
Me right now. And I'm guaranteed to change my mind 15 times before I make a purchase. I can't decide between a 686+, CZ p07, or a small bore rifle. Or I could buy more ammo. Maybe an M&P 9c to go with my full size pro series. Or maybe I should take the NFA jump and fill some paperwork out for a suppressor

Just can't decide.

Tim the student
January 9, 2012, 11:24 AM
Well, how much do you want to spend and what are you considering getting?

Eh, I'm not really looking for recommendations, just kind of "venting" I guess.

But since you asked, a rifle :D.

The thought has crossed my mind to get a 1903, a Mann Accuracy Device (just because I think they are cool as heck, not that I would necessarily do anything with it for some time), another M1, a new .22, or a Savage short action to play with. Heck, I've thought about trading/selling my Savage .270 for a short action because I think it would be a fun mini project to rebarrel it and put a new stock on it.

dprice3844444
January 9, 2012, 11:25 AM
The thought of a new gun paralyzes me
it's way cheaper than the thought of a new wife

Tim the student
January 9, 2012, 11:26 AM
it's way cheaper than the thought of a new wife

Never had that thought.

mgmorden
January 9, 2012, 11:37 AM
Never had this problem - my prioritized wishlist typically far outstripes my ability to pay for them :).

Next on my list of realistically buyable guns is a Kel-tec PF9.
After that I'd like to get a SR1911 when I can find one.
After that, Kel-tec PMR-30.
And after that, I want to get an EAA Witness Elite Match in .40S&W.

By the time I get all those I'm sure I'll have others on the list waiting to be bought :).

almherdfan
January 9, 2012, 11:56 AM
No problem for me. I have organized guns into four catagories:
Guns I can afford
Guns I might be able to afford
Guns I can't afford
Guns I'll never be able to afford.

Then I cross reference to:
Guns I have
Guns I want
Guns I don't want.

Usually this method produces an easy purchase decision, followed by elation/remorse, ammo overload, multiple trips to the range, guilt, hours of research to A, confirm my purchase decision, B, improve its performance, C. accessorize and then I settle into warm relationship (or quick divorce).

And start all over again a few months or so later.

Good luck!

Rshooter
January 9, 2012, 12:02 PM
If you have the money think about it hard and do not make any rash decisions, these are the ones you regret in the future. I believe you were thinking about an M1A at one time. That is still a good decision and you would be well pleased.

firesky101
January 9, 2012, 12:05 PM
+1 for almherdfan. However for the life of me, i cannot think of anything for the guns i don't want category.

Jim Watson
January 9, 2012, 05:24 PM
Don't let the money burn a hole in your pocket. Just because you have $X available doesn't mean you have to spend it on an $X gun. Keep saving and maybe you will conclude later that you really need an $X+Y gun and you will have the money to buy it.

tubeshooter
January 9, 2012, 06:04 PM
I've had a couple of times where I had done my research, decided on something, and all week before the big gunshow I was like "I am not leaving that place without [insert item here]!".

Both times this has happened, I ended up coming out not with exactly what I was looking for, but pretty close.

It was okay; I don't totally regret the purchases (well, actually jury is still out on #2 but it should work out). But if you do end up having any regret, it will be even sharper. Plus you will probably go on to get either what you intended to get in the first place, or a more thought-out and satisfying other choice in the future.

I guess my point is... don't rush it. Not unless it was something you've always wanted badly ("holy grail" item). Bought a couple of those too - no regrets there.

Otherwise, just do some more research. You don't really state what you want or why.

22-rimfire
January 9, 2012, 06:05 PM
If you don't know what you want or feel you need, I'd keep pouring money into the gun fund for a time when you do know.

My problem is that I like just about everything that I believe is well made and shoots. That doesn't help in the least. :)

Tim, if you don't own any firearms, start with a 22 and work your way up.

Tim the student
January 9, 2012, 06:31 PM
Otherwise, just do some more research. You don't really state what you want or why.

I just have the new gun bug, nothing more. Needs are met, and I can afford most of my wants. Just not all of them at once.

If you don't know what you want or feel you need, I'd keep pouring money into the gun fund for a time when you do know.

I may do that, I may not. 1903s and M1s won't be getting any cheaper, nor will Mann Accuracy Devices, which is one reason I'm thinking about getting one of the above. The CMP just raised prices on M1s actually.

Tim, if you don't own any firearms, start with a 22 and work your way up

I have more than guns than some people, less than some people. (And a couple .22s. in my collection.) But I wholeheartedly agree with you that a .22 is probably going to be the best first gun for most people.

22-rimfire
January 9, 2012, 06:52 PM
Figured you did own some guns since you have approaching 2800 posts on a fun forum. :)

12gaugeTim
January 9, 2012, 06:54 PM
Narrow it down to two guns, flip a coin, convince yourself that you'll abide by the coin's supreme ruling, and if your heart sinks a little when you smack it on the back of your wrist, then you'll know which one you wanted all along.

tubeshooter
January 9, 2012, 06:57 PM
Best idea you're going to get out of the thread, I suspect.

Bovice
January 9, 2012, 07:02 PM
Narrow it down to two guns, flip a coin, convince yourself that you'll abide by the coin's supreme ruling, and if your heart sinks a little when you smack it on the back of your wrist, then you'll know which one you wanted all along.

Genius!

browneu
January 9, 2012, 07:06 PM
I've had a couple of times where I had done my research, decided on something, and all week before the big gunshow I was like "I am not leaving that place without [insert item here]!".

Both times this has happened, I ended up coming out not with exactly what I was looking for, but pretty close.

It was okay; I don't totally regret the purchases (well, actually jury is still out on #2 but it should work out). But if you do end up having any regret, it will be even sharper. Plus you will probably go on to get either what you intended to get in the first place, or a more thought-out and satisfying other choice in the future.

I guess my point is... don't rush it. Not unless it was something you've always wanted badly ("holy grail" item). Bought a couple of those too - no regrets there.

Great advice, otherwise you'll get into trading firearms like baseball cards, which you're always on the losing end.

Kyl3
January 9, 2012, 07:20 PM

+1
This is similar to what I do for all my expensive purchases when I'm stuck between two options lol.

22-rimfire
January 9, 2012, 07:34 PM
I usually end up buying both IF it is THAT hard to make up my mind. I just don't necessarily buy them at the same time.

12gaugeTim
January 9, 2012, 07:44 PM
Well if you want both and can afford both, then why not get both? It's just a question of which one to get first; it could take a while to save up for the next.

lowerunit411
January 9, 2012, 08:10 PM
I simply research everything to the point of nausea, then I research some more..by that time I have changed my mind several times, and identified 5 other things I "want"...then I simply buy something on impulse..meh

230therapy
January 9, 2012, 08:19 PM
Tim,

Become goal oriented. What are your priorities? Defense? Gun games? Hunting? Shooting very small targets close up or far away? Win the Olympics in trap shooting?

I believe defense should be your number one priority. Buy combat grade guns and gear. The good news is that such weapons are frequently used in gun games too. But, if it's not your first priority, then define your number one priority, review your collection, and add as necessary.

justice06rr
January 9, 2012, 08:56 PM
Never really an issue for me. Go to a good gunshop and checkout all the pistols, then walk out with one. Problem solved!

Or if you're indecisive, how about a versatile rifle platform like the AR15? Buy a complete AR like a Smith&Wesson or Spikes, then you have so many options of accesories and parts to swap out that you will literally never get bored. Tired of one caliber? You can switch out or acquire different barrels, magazines, etc. like .223/22lr/.308/300AAC and the list goes on.

Weedy
January 9, 2012, 09:10 PM
Man, just happened to me last week. I got some gift cards (Dick's...blah) for birthday/Christmas, finally had enough for a new hunting rifle, I didn't have one. Couldn't decide which action, which caliber, which brand...researched online and stayed awake at night (literally!) for weeks, my fiancee was ready to punch me. Finally decided on bolt action. FINALLY narrowed it down to A-Bolt and Marlin X7, both available at Dick's. Then FINALLY decided on 30-06 for its versatility (that one was very hard, since 30-06 is so good, but so "uncool"). Went to Dick's, and they had the Browning in stock, in 30-06, and on sale, so I just GOT IT!! That was a week ago, and now I am doing the same thing with scopes. When will it end?!!

If you enjoyed reading about "The thought of a new gun paralyzes me -" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!