Indoor Ranges

PDA

Beak50
January 11, 2012, 08:51 AM
I would like to know if most of you guy's shoot inside at range's or outside at home or club's.I live in Western P.A. and have never heard of anyone I know use a indoor range or even know of any around here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Indoor Ranges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
tnxdshooter
January 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
Shotguns and pistols inside. Rifles outside but only because no indoor ranges around me allow the use of them.

Sent from Droid Incredible on Verizon Wireless

Sam1911
January 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
Did you mean just for rifle shooting? (This is in the rifles sub-forum.)

There are lots of indoor ranges around, but not all that many are set up to handle rifle fire. Mostly pistols and maybe .22 rifles.

RangeDS
January 11, 2012, 09:02 AM
A newer indoor range should be set-up to accommodate rifles. The one I just completed in October is a 15 lane facility 6 of which can handle .50 BMG.

For those who have land going to a range is probably only occurring when weather rough.

The Range at Lake Norman (http://www.therangeatlakenorman.com) is 100% climate controlled. Shoot in shorts all year long!

We have two more locations planned for new facilities soon.
Thanks,
Range Development Services.com (http://www.rangedevelopmentservices.com)

joeq
January 11, 2012, 09:05 AM
I use the indoor range for pistol and rifle shooting. That does limit me to 100 yards for rifle shooting. There aren't many outdoor public ranges very close to me. I can be at the indoor range in 2 minutes.

Beak50
January 11, 2012, 09:14 AM
I meant for pistol or rifle practice.Sorry should have been more attentive.Maybe I'm just to much of a country-boy.I would like to be able to scope in a rofle without the weather,wind ect..

holdencm9
January 11, 2012, 09:16 AM
I live in the Mpls, MN. Nearest indoor range is 10 minutes away. Nearest outdoor range is upwards of an hour. So I am usually at the indoor range, even with rifles, (they allow full auto with paperwork, and .50 BMG) but hope to get a club membership this year and go to the outdoor range on the weekends for more long range work.

Sam1911
January 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
Beak50, you should be only about 30 min. from Castlewood Rod & Gun Club in New Castle. They've got an indoor range as well as outdoor ranges to 500 meters.

http://castlewoodclays.com/

No idea if they allow rifles on the indoor range, though.

Beak50
January 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
I would imagine club due's are pretty high at the indoor place's.Is it pay as you come or one flat membership fee?Not shooting in the cold would be nice,you got it made up there.

Beak50
January 11, 2012, 09:34 AM
Thank's Sam1911,I never heard of the place and I've lived here my whole life.I'm a member in two club's around here.Maybe that place is for the "rich and famous"I'll check it out.

joeq
January 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
My indoor range charges $15.00 per hour. It's expensive but I don't have many options.

Sam1911
January 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
I would imagine club due's are pretty high at the indoor place's
Ours is $55 a year membership and includes (almost) unlimited use of indoor range, covered outdoor pistol range, covered outdoor rifle range (to 100 yds, and steel plates to 200), eight other outdoor pits/ranges, archery range, trap, hunting land, and various organized shooting groups.

But no rifles on the indoor range.

The Lone Haranguer
January 11, 2012, 12:22 PM
I primarily shoot handguns, and use indoor ranges almost exclusively. As I grow older, I have less and less patience for going out in the weather. :D The one I go to allows rifles up to elephant guns as well as automatic fire, but at 25 yards, really isn't much of a challenge for a rifle.

http://myshootersedge.com

SG1
January 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
Around here I have 2 indoor ranges. One is very close to me, about 5 minutes drive. They allow pistol and .22 rifle, but no magnum rounds. They told me it was because magnum rounds cause more noise to fellow shooters. It's an old LEO indoor range converted for the public. $18 an hour I think?

The other indoor range is new, state-of-the-art. You can rent full auto stuff. They allow rifles up to .50BMG in certain lanes I think. They also have moving target systems. It's very nice, but it's costly. I can't remember, but I think it's more than $20 a half hour for a single person per lane. Too rich for my blood.

Then I have the outdoor range that I've been shooting at since I was a kid. They have a full gun shop, and an outdoor range of 300 yards I think. You can bring your own targets and shoot anything you want except glass and things that explode. It's $10 for the day whole day. First come first serve, and as you can imagine it gets filled pretty quick. RO every day these days (used to be only weekends). You don't have to be a member, but you get an even better deal on price if you are an annual member. They also have a couple other ranges that are a little more exclusive, but they do have a SASS group and a practical pistol range.

I shoot the outdoor range mostly because I can bring my own targets and it's by far the cheapest.

bergmen
January 11, 2012, 12:37 PM
I stopped shooting at indoor ranges years ago for three reasons:

1) The ventilation is usually subpar and one gets to inhale all sorts of nasty gases while inside. If the ventilation is good, you freeze to death with the wind at your back.

2) The noise and concussion (especially with the giant hand cannons) is way over the top and too uncomfortable for me and my guests.

3) I do not like not being able to see the shooter in the lanes next to me to see if they are being safe (many are not). I think an element of being inconspicuous might be a contributor to murders and suicides that have happened at indoor ranges. This is just my opinion, not based on any fact. But it does make me feel uncomfortable.

The only thing I do like is the ability to reel your targets in without the range going cold but I can live without that.

Dan

GCMkc
January 11, 2012, 02:10 PM
I stopped shooting at indoor ranges years ago for three reasons:

1) The ventilation is usually subpar and one gets to inhale all sorts of nasty gases while inside. If the ventilation is good, you freeze to death with the wind at your back.

THIS! My indoor range has great ventilation but has fans blowing at your back. When it's cold outside, it is super cold inside. The visibility also sucks but I guess it's good practice for low light situations. Only pistol, shotgun, and .22lr rifles allowed.

The outdoor range I go to is brand new and quite nice, but I have to drive 20-25 minutes to get there.

mgmorden
January 11, 2012, 02:15 PM
MOST of my shooting is outdoors but there is a local indoor range that I visit relatively often. They have 25 lanes (15 15-yard lanes and 10 25-yard lanes) and charge $5 for you to shoot for as long as you want.

There are addons of course (sillouette targets are $1 each - ear/eye protection is $1 each rental if you don't bring your own. If you rent one of their guns, it's $5 + must be shot with ammo purchased in the shop, which the ammo is a bit high). Overall it works well, though admittedly the lighting is kinda dim.

One thing that does freak me out a bit though is that if you look at the steel dividers between the range stalls at just about any indoor range - there's bullet dents in them. Of course the covers at most of the outdoor ranges I've been to have a bullet through the ceiling too . . .

LY
January 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
I live in a rural area, so I never shoot indoors. Where I live, there are not any indoor ranges close by.

holdencm9
January 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
I would imagine club due's are pretty high at the indoor place's.Is it pay as you come or one flat membership fee?Not shooting in the cold would be nice,you got it made up there.

There are different levels of membership from $300 to $1000 per year. The memberships also provide perks for the store (no FFL transfers, free rentals, discounts on training courses and ammo purchases), as well as discounted or free unlimited range use.

If you pay as you go it is $20 each visit, but no time limit.

OR you can buy tokens...21 visits for $250 so it averages out to be a bit under $12 per visit.

jcwit
January 11, 2012, 05:28 PM
Here's one not far away

http://www.lowellville-rod-gun.com/

boogity8k
January 11, 2012, 06:59 PM
Are club has outdoor pistol & rifle & trap shooting and in the winter months rent are local armory for pistol & 22 rifle only.

Wes Mantooth
January 12, 2012, 05:31 PM
There's 2 indoor ranges in Wichita.

One for handguns only and one that's for handguns and has a 100yrd rifle range.

I only shoot indoors if I'm trying to sight in a rifle. The lighting is poor in the rifle range though and only has lights every 25 yrds. It's nice for knowing known distances that way, but when it gets out to 100yrds you have to bring your target in to see where your groups are landing. It also has bullet holes in the walls and ceiling. :what: It's also had at least 2 people blow their brains out in the pistol range side of it. And it's down in the "'hood". But nobody seems to get messed with by unscrupulous types when they're there. ;)

They don't allow shotguns or rifle rounds without lead cores. They even check your ammo with a magnet. They had some genius shooting through the back wall with his .50 BMG and ?????? rounds. ( I forget the ammo type right now...memory failing:o)

I live out in the country and set up my own range and backstop. Shotguns out here are like hearing a car horn in the big city...all too common and nobody gives it a second thought.

Mt Shooter
January 12, 2012, 07:02 PM
There is a new one here, never been, you can shoot anything there. pistols , rifles, they rent full autos. The thing I don't like and why I have never been is they don't allow you to pickup your own brass. If I am paying anywhere from .10 cents plus for my brass I am not so inclined to leave it lay on their floor for their profits.

nipprdog
January 12, 2012, 08:48 PM
Shotguns and pistols inside. Rifles outside but only because no indoor ranges around me allow the use of them.

Interesting. My local indoor range allows rifles, and pistols, but no shotguns. :confused:

exavid
January 12, 2012, 09:45 PM
I joined the Medford Rifle and Pistol club to use their indoor range. It's a bit of a diamond in the rough but is a great place to shoot during the colder months and during wet weather. Cost is $50 per year for 24/7 access with a 50' maximum range. Pistols, and .22 rifles okay. We have several county rifle, shotgun, pistol and archery ranges nearby as well. The county has just finished improving the berms and road. County range fee is $25 per year or $40 per year for familys.

MAG-63
January 12, 2012, 09:52 PM
Indoor range's what? :confused:

exavid
January 12, 2012, 11:09 PM
Some of us are just lucky.:neener:

mljdeckard
January 13, 2012, 03:11 AM
Sometimes when I have a new shooter to train, they find an indoor range a little more cozy and less intimidating, as long as it's not too crowded. Sometimes it's nice to just go in, use known distances, not worry about the elements, etc. Sometimes if I want to try a gun on the rental range, or let someone shoot machine guns, it can be fun.

But a lot of the stuff I do, like running el Presidente drills, or drawing from a shoulder holster, they won't let you do at indoor ranges. I usually find I like to find myself a piece of desert where I can do what I want to and no one will bother me.

sedona
January 13, 2012, 07:15 PM
The indoor range i go to charges $12.00 per day.You can shoot rifle,pistol and shotguns.They have a really good air circulating system which helps alot.I prefer outdoor ranges but it was 20 here this morning and the indoor range is 10 miles closer.

RangeDS
February 2, 2012, 10:37 PM
The Range at Lake Norman has a $17 lane fee and you can shoot all day. Range ammo required. I'm amazed at the interest in the sport...ladies night on Monday there were 65 women who paid $35 to use a rental gun and shoot 20 rounds. The social side of an indoor range is HUGE.
Poker night is a big hit too particularly on nights when the tactical lanes are used and the targets are programed for a course of fire...turning target and limited time to shoot.

ssyoumans
February 2, 2012, 10:51 PM
$150/yr for indoor pistol range. Unlimited shooting, but only open till 8pm. Not a bad deal to me.

In Ga, outdoor range is free if you have a WMA hunting permit, otherwise must buy a $19 year pass (same price as the WMA add-on to your hunting license). Use to be free, till funding got cut for 2012. Can shoot any caliber there, except full auto. Located about 1 hr outside metro Atlanta.

Inebriated
February 4, 2012, 01:54 AM
I have been going to a new place here... Point Blank Range in Mooresville, NC.
$18 per day, ALL day (they let you come and go as you please, as long as you've got your receipt).
25 yard
15 lanes
Friendly staff
Ammo is a dollar or two over the going rate, so it's not like you're getting ripped off.
Bring your own ammo, except shot or steel case/core
Rifles up to, and including, .308
Don't care about rapid fire

Overall, I like it. I still go to an outdoor public hell hole for rifles and buckshot just out in the woods, though.

The Range at Lake Norman has a $17 lane fee and you can shoot all day. Range ammo required. I'm amazed at the interest in the sport...ladies night on Monday there were 65 women who paid $35 to use a rental gun and shoot 20 rounds. The social side of an indoor range is HUGE.
Poker night is a big hit too particularly on nights when the tactical lanes are used and the targets are programed for a course of fire...turning target and limited time to shoot.

I know a couple folks who hate that place specifically because of ammo prices and that TMJ stuff. What is it, like $18 for a box of 9mm?

Chris Rhines
February 4, 2012, 09:16 AM
I shoot at the best indoor range in the country, maybe the world - the NRA HQ range in Fairfax, VA. :)

15 lanes, 50 yards, allows anything short of a .50BMG. Each lane has a programmable turning target system. Roomy shooting boxes with armored glass dividers. Excellent ventilation and climate control. Drawing from a strong-side holster is permitted, as is rapid fire and multiple targets (on a single backer.) You can shoot your own ammo, and pick up your own brass. They even have WiFi in the lounge.

There are only two downsides. It's pretty expensive - $14/hr. for NRA members, $18/hr. for non-members, or $300/year for unlimited shooting. Also, if you go there on the weekend, expect to wait a while for an open lane. I usually visit after work on Wednesdays and Thursdays.

-C

Zach S
February 4, 2012, 02:11 PM
When I lived in the sticks, I shot in the back yard, rain or shine. Hardly ever shot at the indoor range.

Now, I shoot at an indoor range. I don't think shooting in the back yard would go over too well since I'm in town and lack a backstop...

flatlander937
February 4, 2012, 06:30 PM
The range I go to has an indoor pistol/shotgun range, and you're also permitted to shoot rifles that fire pistol rounds as well(22lr, lever gun .357s, etc).

The rifle range is underground, though I haven't shot there yet.

RoboDuck
February 4, 2012, 11:06 PM
We have an indoor range in town , they offer CCW clases and I have shot there a few times . With have plenty of space to shoot at my home and no neighbors for miles I just shoot behind my house into a dirt birm .

stickhauler
February 5, 2012, 02:35 AM
The range I go to offers family memberships for $200.00 per year, they just bought another indoor range out and our membership is good for that one as well.

If shooting indoor at the original location (16 lanes, pistol only), members shoot for $5.00 per visit, if they're really busy they ask you to limit your time to around an hour. That location also has an outdoor 10 meter range, and a 100 yard rifle range outside. Members shoot free outside.

The new location is 16 lanes indoor as well, you can shoot anything from .22's to popular rifle calibers (NO 50BMG). It's a 10 meter range, and members shoot for $5.00 per hour there as well, but they're extremely liberal in enforcing the rules, they flat ignore them for members if they're not busy.

They have a gun shop in the original location, not a great selection on hand, but they'll order anything you want and let you have it for $15.00 over their wholesale price if you're a member.

Nice staff, and the owner is a former Dayton PD officer I knew long before he retired and bought ranges to occupy his time.

340PD
February 5, 2012, 11:24 AM
I am lucky enough to work part time as an RSO at a range in Edina, MN. It is owned by three local municipalities and the Minneapolis airport commission. Public access is allowed 6 hours on Sat. and one weekday evening /month. Fees are $16/45 minutes but no one is booted if we are not swamped. Ten visits gets you a free pass. Being government owned it is a state of the art facility. We also offer classes for basic firearms training for women only and couples . Ten 25 yd lanes and two 50 yd. lanes. Additional 4 lane 50 ft range to accommodate overflow. Restrictions on some calibers, target shape, sideways caps, and low hanging pants. Complete cleaning room with all supplies provided included with fee. Free coffee and lounge area.

http://www.southmetrotraining.com/features_shooting.html

HOWARD J
February 5, 2012, 11:39 AM
We have one range that rents many types of machine-guns---allows shotguns & some rifles & all types of handguns.
Another has a 25 yard rifle & pistol range.
Another has pistol only.
we have 3 state ranges for( outdoor) rifle & pistol----you want to freeze to death--they are open. they are 30-90 miles from me. I go summer only.

gym
February 5, 2012, 11:52 AM
I asked day before yesterday, if I could bring my AR, in to sight it in, and was told, sure. It's only 25 yards, but at least I will get to finally shoot it, and see if the red dot and flip sights are on the paper for later tweaking. Indoor is fine if "like Fri", I was the only one there. I caught a break, 12 lanes for myself in 2 rooms. Too bad I just went to function check my EMP, or I would have brought more ammo, and some more of the "boys" with me. I guess people are spending less money on ammo or somethingu Actually it was Friday around 11-12 AM.I finally found a guy who has some property that offered me an option to shoot there. Buy felt funny not knowing the guy, "we started talking at the ammo counter at Wallmart". He has 15 acres here in town. I wasn't even sure if that was legal or not in Vero?How far is 15 acres, "the longest straight line", I assume it depends on the layout, but probablly a few hundred yards. and I would have to see what it borders.Can't help feeling apprehensive about shooting on a strangers property, I may dissapear, so at least you guys know it's some guy in vero with 15 acres.

If you enjoyed reading about "Indoor Ranges" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!