Top Shot - Season 4

PDA

valnar
January 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
Top Shot Season 4 contestants have been announced. Anyone know any of these people?

http://www.history.com/shows/top-shot/bios/?cmpid=Social_Facebook_TopShot_01112012_1

If you enjoyed reading about "Top Shot - Season 4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
January 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
Don't know any of them, but I read their bios the other day....some impressive shooters in there, but we all know what that means. Nothing! ;)

Looking forward to the show.

22lr
January 11, 2012, 04:54 PM
If the females are the first 2 out again............

valnar
January 11, 2012, 05:07 PM
If the females are the first 2 out again.....

I agree. I hope that is not true. Unfortunately, the way the show is setup makes it a "Boys Club". Voting eliminates fairness of performance.

SharkHat
January 11, 2012, 05:25 PM
"Colin plans to use his special training in criminal profiling to get inside his opponents' heads."

Well, I have my guess as to who is going to follow in Jake's footsteps. I thought they said they were trying to cut down on the manufactured drama this season.

David E
January 11, 2012, 11:20 PM
Craig Buckland is a national revolver champion in IDPA.

Forrest McCord has been shooting IPSC since he was about 14 making quite a few matches the last 6-7 years or so. As a result, he has quite a bit of match experience for his years. Oh, and he has a hot mom!

Don't know any of the others.

Twiki357
January 12, 2012, 01:26 AM
The "Team" consept and the "Voting out" is a complete turn-off for me. Then all the scripted drama and conflict last season REALLY turned me off.

It would be great if the whole elimination process was based on shooting ability... Low score goes home.

ShawnC
January 12, 2012, 02:10 AM
Can I still post that I hate Jake? Is it too late for that?

303tom
January 12, 2012, 08:26 AM
Nope, don`t know any of them.........

Wildbillz
January 12, 2012, 08:38 AM
Michelle Viscusi is MS RSA over on the AK Forum. Spokes person for RSA.

WB

quartermaster
January 12, 2012, 09:40 AM
I enjoy the show thoroughly untill the start throwing rocks. Boring

The_Shootist
January 12, 2012, 01:16 PM
Michelle Viscusi is MS RSA over on the AK Forum. Spokes person for RSA.

WB

Just a sample :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7wNR1XnQ_4

esheato
January 12, 2012, 01:30 PM
Just a sample

Like I said...I'm looking forward to the show.

Derek Zeanah
January 12, 2012, 02:12 PM
I wonder how many are THR members?

Striker Fired
January 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
I watched season 1 (I was excited to finally have a good gun show)and thought that the way they "eliminated" contestants ensured that acuall shooting skill had very little to do with who would wins,its all who is buddies with who and then gang up on others.Never watched another show since.
It would be a good show if it used points or actually have a scoring method for the shooting,then have eliminations for the lowest scores.Then the person who wins is really the top shot,not the top buddy.

Ryanxia
January 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Don't know any of them but Michelle is good looking :)

MrBorland
January 12, 2012, 03:06 PM
Craig Buckland is a national revolver champion in IDPA

He's now the reigning IDPA SSR World Champion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v_TbAOUOoE&context=C339a587ADOEgsToPDskLkxkREhixmhQ_hxNu-ClqL

mljdeckard
January 12, 2012, 03:29 PM
She's hot but.....she got all of her training in the military. Those of us who have done it already know, that's one way to use one gun. With the situations they throw at them, that isn't enough.

youngda9
January 12, 2012, 03:37 PM
The guys aren't going to want to vote her out, for sure !!

wannabeagunsmith
January 12, 2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah, they'll probably keep her in....I would :D

mac66
January 12, 2012, 04:54 PM
I see they got the token women on the show again. Good luck but their stay will be short.

I do enjoy the show however set up it is.

mljdeckard
January 12, 2012, 05:03 PM
I scoffed at it at first, but I was watching Pawn Stars with my new wife, and it came on afterward, and she really got into it. We enjoy watching it together.

ny32182
January 12, 2012, 05:17 PM
I haven't watched more than a couple episodes; it is just "Survivor" with guns, but I have been at several matches with Craig Buckland and he is a legit badass revolver shooter; probably the second best in the country. I would assume he is a fine shooter all the way around unlike many of the contestants they seem to get.

They are also going to have one of the best pistol shooters in the world today as as a "consulting expert" this season; I plan to watch that episode whenever it is.

Cal-gun Fan
January 12, 2012, 07:31 PM
I hate how they NEVER shoot the guns they show in the intro video...the PKM, the SVD, the Desert Eagle, the G3, the RPG, and countless things they showed before.

EDIT: This might be just as misleading as the intro video weapons, but did anybody notice that most of the contestants have german WWII weapons in the pictures?

meleors
January 13, 2012, 06:17 AM
Has anyone noticed that they increased the number of contestants from 16 to 18.

Could this be because each season someone has left the show early? Extra contestants would help make sure that the required number of episodes were produced without fumbling for ways to make it so.

valnar
January 13, 2012, 06:26 AM
Maybe they will make more episodes? If someone finds the budget for this year (& previous years), post it here.

Arkansas Paul
January 13, 2012, 10:57 AM
Can I still post that I hate Jake? Is it too late for that?

It is never too late for that.

HOOfan_1
January 13, 2012, 11:49 AM
Other than Michelle, they all look like someone just told them they ran over their dog...

kevindsingleton
January 13, 2012, 01:12 PM
While the show is a popularity contest to get to the finale, the final challenge to determine a winner is all about the shooting, and they put them in several situations to test their overall ability, so no one master skill will win the show.

I think it's great fun, as does the wife, and the photography is incredible. If you're not watching in HD, you really should. It's worth sitting through Jake's drama just for the slo-mo shots!

Madcap_Magician
January 13, 2012, 01:20 PM
I don't know why they have such a love for Homeland Security agents.

kevindsingleton
January 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
Madcap,

Maybe it's because homeland security agents can take the time off work to be on the show?! :evil:

Rembrandt
January 13, 2012, 02:47 PM
Gotta admit there is an effort to diversify the contestants.....gone from a golfing instructor to a school janitor.

9mmepiphany
January 13, 2012, 03:10 PM
Maybe they will make more episodes? If someone finds the budget for this year (& previous years), post it here.
I don't think there is enough time to shoot more than two shows a year....they are filmed in late Spring and late Fall.

They are going from filming to post production and the selection process for the next episode starts right after. The final tryout is only a week long, but they invite 50 contestants. Then they have to whittle it down to the final ones and start pre-production

LeonCarr
January 14, 2012, 09:21 PM
That show would rock much more if they had a competition shooting RPGs :).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

GEM
January 16, 2012, 11:36 AM
Who forgot to tell them to say CHEESE! Do scowling faces make you a tough guy or gal? Does it intimidate your opponent?

I sincerely hope we don't have another replay of Jake and his head games.

Looks like the WWE pose down.

Hk Dan
January 16, 2012, 12:27 PM
I see that there is not one big name, Open shooting USPSA guy in there. Lots more IDPA and lots more Marines. This should be interesting...IDPA isn't as specialized as USPSA, but it's not nearly as competitive either. I hope they do well!

1KPerDay
January 16, 2012, 12:33 PM
ooooh, I hope they put a really crazy annoying moron in the group to create all kinds of manufactured drama...

ny32182
January 16, 2012, 01:00 PM
The only guy besides Buckland for which they list any actual IDPA credentials is Kyle Sumpter, and looking back on the results 2008 to present, he won CDP division at WA state match as an EX in 2008 (no MA present), and competed as an EX at the same match again in 2009, but did not win (EX class or otherwise); so I wouldn't say that guy is highly competitive in IDPA.

For those more familiar with the other sports, I'd be curious to know whether Forrest McCord is accomplished in USPSA, and/or William Bethards in 3gun, as they have reasonably impressive sounding blubs on the website.

David E
January 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
...IDPA isn't as specialized as USPSA,

How "specialized" do you think USPSA is? There are SIX divisions, including Revolver, Production and 1911 Single Stack. These three divisions have rules that don't exist in the other divisions with the specific intent to maintain as even a playing field as possible.

but it's not nearly as competitive either. I hope they do well!

At the top levels, there is plenty of fierce competition!

chhodge69
January 16, 2012, 02:28 PM
I'll watch it as long as it doesn't turn into a bunch of survivor wannabes. DVR is very effective at editing out the stupid drama.

Ryanxia
January 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
My buddy and me are betting on this season. Each have a 1st, 2nd & 3rd pick to win it, getting the most money if your first pick wins, then less if it's your second and hardly any if it's your third.

I just picked mine today but he hasn't picked his so I won't say who I picked.
And granted it's going to be just a guessing game going off the bios but it's still fun :)

piece of meat
January 16, 2012, 04:50 PM
damn i was hoping to see Hickock45 on there lol. he could probably win and im sure the ratings would be great as long as he was in

HOOfan_1
January 16, 2012, 06:42 PM
damn i was hoping to see Hickock45 on there lol.

I can't imagine he would do it. Doesn't seem like his thing, and being a teacher, while he gets a bunch of time off in the summer, in the fall, winter and spring he can't take that much time off.

Tygarys
January 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
ooooh, I hope they put a really crazy annoying moron in the group to create all kinds of manufactured drama...
Gecko45 is going to be a special guest

Tygarys
January 17, 2012, 06:17 PM
It is never too late for that.
I hear they are giving Jake a second chance this season.

1KPerDay
January 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
Gecko45 is going to be a special guest
Now THAT I would watch. :D

wannabeagunsmith
January 17, 2012, 10:50 PM
I hate how they NEVER shoot the guns they show in the intro video...the PKM, the SVD, the Desert Eagle, the G3, the RPG, and countless things they showed before.

Yeah, I did too. Got me every time. Oh, and I bet at the beginning of season 3 on who would win. And I won.

wannabeagunsmith
January 17, 2012, 10:52 PM
Oh, and why didn't they let Steve Lee in? At least not nutnfancy lol.

P-32
January 18, 2012, 12:17 AM
I shoot with a female who tried out. I'm surprised she has not been on the show yet. She is a High Master (shoots 97.5%) at 1000 yards. She's even easy on the eye balls to boot.

InkEd
January 18, 2012, 10:38 AM
I bet this season will feature an event with "Hydro Impact Ordinance" (aka "Water Balloons") since they literally resorted to throwing rocks last year.

IllHunter
January 18, 2012, 11:14 AM
On the shows' facebook page. I suggested plinking floating marshmellos with an M60, long range wtih a Glock 17, and rapid fire with a Sig.:rolleyes:

wannabeagunsmith
January 18, 2012, 01:45 PM
since they literally resorted to throwing rocks last year.

I know right. That was pathetic. But seeing Jake throwing rocks was partially funny.

xfyrfiter
January 18, 2012, 02:33 PM
I would enjoy watching almost any three gun match better than Top Shot. Survivor with guns and stupid too boot.

Hk Dan
January 19, 2012, 08:24 AM
David E--Sorry to take so long getting back to you. I know how specialized USPSA is, I shot it for 7 years. Take a typical Open shooter--that's all he does. Red dot sight, comp, 38 Super, that's it. Now, your Sevigny, Leatham--the guys who also shoot Production or Limited--I'm not talking about them, but you won't see them on Top Shot. If a shooter makes a conscious effort to diversify, they're well rounded. Most don't. They can shoot the Hell out of an El Pres with their S_I, and that's about it.

I'm saying your typical local Open guy is a prima donna. A one trick pony.

The only GM shooter in Iowa tried IDPA once. Once. He came in mid-field. Why? His carry gun didn't have a See More, a comp and a 28 round mag. The other local MA shooter won't even try it. He laughs and asks if he can use his Open gun. (NO) I've never seen him fire his carry gun after this first weekend.

So, no it doesn'tsurprise me that the USPSA guys get their buttocks handed to them on that show. One trick ponies, and I can't wait to see how the IDPA guys do.

David E
January 19, 2012, 10:55 AM
Clearly, your crowd is much different than mine. That's too bad.

Hk Dan
January 19, 2012, 04:06 PM
Good point; clubs are pretty subjective. I've shot with 4 of them around here and at some big matches. I'd also point to the results of the USPSA guys on Top Shot--dismal. I think your club is the exception rather than the rule Dave. Treasure them! And lets see how the IDPA guys do this year. I'm guessing it won't be a Phil Strader/Blake Miguez/JJRacazza type story with them!

David E
January 19, 2012, 04:40 PM
Don't recall Phil being on Top Shot.

I agree that the USPSA guys haven't fared well overall, but they were able to showcase some shooting skills here and there.

But when you have a good shooter and they get beaten by a slingshot, rock throwing, archery, Gatling gun, etc, they're still a good shooter.

That said, Chris Tilley, explaining why he couldn't hit the billiard balls, said he "wasn't taking it seriously." WTH? He kicked butt on the challenge, but I knew he wasn't going to win.

BTW, I've been shooting USPSA and IDPA far longer than 7 yrs, have shot dozens of major matches and have encountered the type of shooter you describe only rarely.

9mmepiphany
January 19, 2012, 10:44 PM
I'm guessing it won't be a Phil Strader/Blake Miguez/JJRacazza type story with them!
You do realize that the Final Three of Season One were all USPSA shooters.

JJ went to the World Shoot.
Chris is currently shooting USPSA
Ian, who was the first Top Shot, was a USPSA competitor before the show, but the Royal Marine angle was more interesting

If you enjoyed reading about "Top Shot - Season 4" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!