What if I shot a Garand without the gas plug?

PDA

thegeep
January 12, 2012, 07:23 PM
I have read a lot of stuff regarding the use of heavy bullets and/or slow burning powders in a Garand. Let's say, though, that I was 6 months into a SHTF scenario (zombie apocalypse, global pandemic, large meteor strike, massive solar flare, alien invasion, robotic rebellion, etc). All I have left is my Garand and some commercial 220 grain hunting ammo. In the best of times I wouldn't want to chance damaging my rifle, and now that it is all I have left my life may very well depend on it continuing to function. What happens if I just remove the gas plug and shoot it without? I know the first round will go bang, but can I manually cycle the gun though the remainder of the magazine and basically use it like a straight-pull bolt action? Is there any risk of injury or damage if fired without the gas plug installed?

If you enjoyed reading about "What if I shot a Garand without the gas plug?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
memphisjim
January 12, 2012, 07:29 PM
ive asked this before and people are against recommending it but i cant see why it wouldnt work i received a practice grenade and launcher for my birthday the launcher just holds open the valve and you can shoot through it but you lose semiauto function
it seems removing the plug would do the same thing

Fleet
January 13, 2012, 08:58 AM
Get an adjustable gas plug, and it's never an issue. You can shoot any ammo you like out of it.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=20456/Product/ADJUSTABLE-GAS-SYSTEM

briantf
January 13, 2012, 12:38 PM
>>>
manually cycle the gun though the remainder of the magazine and basically use it like a straight-pull bolt action
>>>

Yes. You'll have crud build up on the threads of the gas cylinder lock. Some European countries require this modification to Garands to allow their ownership.

That said, in real life you'll want to use a Schuster plug for $35 from Midway.

Regards,
Brian in CA

thegeep
January 13, 2012, 07:29 PM
Hadn't thought about the threads. I have the aftermarket plug with the 5 different inserts. Haven't tried it yet though. I suppose using it and the most open of the inserts, or perhaps no insert at all, would have a similar effect without exposing the gas plug threads to crud. My understanding is that you have to use trial and error to figure out which inserts to use with various ammo (it didn't come with instructions). Since in an armageddon scenario you might be using a mixed hodgepodge of different ammunition, I would prefer to manually cycle and be able to shoot everything then to wind up with a jam-o-matic, or worse, a fancy baseball bat.

thegeep
January 13, 2012, 07:30 PM
P.S.-
I left out super-volcano eruption and apes getting intelligent in my scenarios...

rcmodel
January 13, 2012, 07:35 PM
P.S.
You also left out a second term.

rc

briantf
January 13, 2012, 08:02 PM
>>>
I have the aftermarket plug with the 5 different inserts.
>>>

That's the Scherer, a good solution also.

>>>
perhaps no insert at all,
>>>

You could always ask around for a later GC screw with a defective/missing poppet valve. I have one and I suppose if I really wanted to explore your scenario, I might use that.

>>>
I left out super-volcano eruption
>>>

Shucks, you left out super-earthquakes, on the West Coast either down south on the San Andreas or up north in the Cascadia Subduction, or back East on the New Madrid. Those are all GOING to happen at some point.......

Regards,
Brian in CA

Jim K
January 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
Where semi-autos are banned for hunting, lots of guys used to just drive the valve out of the gas cylinder lock screw (what you are calling the gas plug) and go hunting. The screw could be easily replaced to restore semi-auto capability.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "What if I shot a Garand without the gas plug?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!