Poor Man's Noveske Pig Flash Suppressor

PDA

GI_Jared
January 12, 2012, 11:28 PM
So I have seen that a lot of AR owners will spend $125 on the noveske pig flash suppressor, which I admit does look kind of cool. I was thinking that the inventive way to make this same flash suppressor would be to buy a golf ball launcher for the AR and then hack it down to the same length as the Noveske pig. The pig has a diameter of 1.35" and a length of 3.28". The diameter of a golf ball is like 1.6" so it would be a little larger, but then again it only costs $20. Thoughts?????
http://noveskerifleworks.com/imimg/kx3556p_1.jpg
v.s.
http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/ARR-225.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Poor Man's Noveske Pig Flash Suppressor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
o Unforgiven o
January 13, 2012, 01:28 AM
Wait, they make a golf ball launcher for the AR? :uhoh:

nyresq
January 13, 2012, 01:51 AM
I never understood the desire for the noveske pig. but each to their own.

But cutting down the golf ball launcher would be easy if you have a lathe. If not, it will be hard to keep a smooth cut on the end.

Mizar
January 13, 2012, 08:50 AM
How do you plan to put the inside cone that actually does the flash suppressing? You will need a quality tool steel for it, or it will get flame eroded at no time.

Boris

Sam1911
January 13, 2012, 09:53 AM
:) You probably want to get your hands on the Noveske device and study it a bit before you decide that the golf ball launcher even sorta-kinda close to the same thing.

GI_Jared
January 13, 2012, 09:55 AM
How do you plan to put the inside cone that actually does the flash suppressing? You will need a quality tool steel for it, or it will get flame eroded at no time.

I wasn't planning on doing this anytime soon, and to be honest I have never even seen the inside of the Noveske pig and was unaware of the inverted cone. I was just trying to make some general conversation about possibly making the same style suppressor for a much cheaper price.

25cschaefer
January 13, 2012, 10:53 PM
I was just trying to make some general conversation about possibly making the same style suppressor for a much cheaper price.
Well in that case, I used a Pabst can to make a muffler for my ATV, It would look even cooler. Although there seems to be more flashing going on when Pabst is involved.

But seriously, if you didn't cut it square, would there be accuracy issues like if you messed up while crowning a rifle?

Strykervet
January 13, 2012, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't waste time on it. That Pig is more than half a can.

I got those AAC Blackouts, they were pricey and I had to get four of them so I could use a suppressor I'm waiting on. I figured they were just like any other. Then I tried 'em. ZERO flash, and I mean in the dark. Just a small puff of light and that is it, you'd really need to be standing in front of it to see it. Even on the FAL! I wouldn't get 'em barring the suppressor though, but I'd have liked 'em in the army.

I also have one Brakeout, I got that one by mistake, my wife went to pick it up and they gave that to her. I learned later the name is the problem, this is actually very common! They were so far out of the way I just kept it though, but I really doubted this thing would work, a brake and hider? Well, it works. The flash is about equal or less than any other hider I've used and the brake is decent, I do notice less recoil. So it all worked out.

I don't doubt AAC anymore. They also have superb CS. They sent the wrong part, told me to keep it and replaced it. Turned out the next rifle I'm building will be threaded for it though, so I ended up getting it for free. Helps defer the cost of the others I guess.

You get what you pay for, but with that Pig, I just don't get it. If it was made for a suppressor and had a removeable baffle that would be one thing, but it isn't. I think they were really made for short barrels though and in that case they have a lot of erosion and a big flash where a regular flash hider just isn't going to cut it.

Bottom line? If you have an SBR and no plans for a suppressor, it may be useful. If you have a long barrel or a suppressor, get something else.

If you enjoyed reading about "Poor Man's Noveske Pig Flash Suppressor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!