Cast boolit section?

PDA

Fatelvis
January 15, 2012, 11:25 AM
Just wondering....Does anyone but me think a cast boolit section on THR would be a good idea? I like the "one stop shopping" idea! (Moderators-Hint, hint!) Lol...

If you enjoyed reading about "Cast boolit section?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sam1911
January 15, 2012, 12:44 PM
We get requests from time to time for all sorts of sub-sub-sub-forums. (Though 10-to-1 it's a request for a special AR-15 only section under "Rifles.")

While we understand that it could be seen as somewhat convenient to have a special sub-forum for every interest, style of weapon, species to be hunted, type of knife, type of ammo, and situation under S&T ... several responses come to mind:

1) Folks already have a devil of a time figuring out where to put their thread. Most of the mods spend at least a portion of their time on line "directing traffic" -- moving threads to where they should be. Apparently we already have such a dizzying array of forums here that many members just post wherever, assuming the Staff will sort it out for them. Offering the membership yet another fork in the road seems like giving a drowning man an anchor.

2) Each forum and sub-forum requires a Staff member or two be assigned to watch over it, and at the very least requires a few extra moments to click through and make sure that the forum standards are being upheld. We already have about as much as we need or want on our plates.

3) No need. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with how we handle cast-bullet questions now. They're generally found in the Handloading forum, and they seems to get seen, discussed, and answered very well. Why isolate those discussions away from the broader handloading subject?

Really, the term, "one-stop shopping" refers to being able to get all you need from one location. Meaning a variety of purchases available in one place. You seem to be asking for one store for green beans, but if you want limas you'll have to go next door...

mbopp
January 15, 2012, 12:59 PM
Cast bullets are a somewhat specialized subset of handloading. And besides, there are several cast bullet forums on the internet now.

calaverasslim
January 15, 2012, 05:07 PM
While I reguard a cast bullet section as improtant, I don't feel there would be enuf interesting feedback to attract a large group of readers.

There is, however, a very good web site for cast bullets,

www.castbullets.gunloads.com.

Lots of feedback and devoted to cast bullets

Sam1911
January 16, 2012, 04:49 PM
Is there some possible way we could be answering cast bullet questions more effectively if they were compartmentalized further?

It's not like having a special cast-bullets-ONLY section of the reloading forum would draw more hits, views, or (the only really important metric) participation than we currently get.

Yes, THR does welcome all (well ... most) gun-related discussions, but we are not specialized to the degree that other sites are. We do not have a long-range precision rifle sub-forum. Try snipershide.com for that. We are not a police-issues and tactics forum. Try 10-8forums.com for that. We have no specific pistol competition forum. Try brianenos.com. We do not have specific forums for S&W, Marlin, Ruger, Glock, or even AR-15s. (Thank heavens!) There are places dedicated to those, and we can't and have no reason to compete with them for specialization in those areas.

If you've got a question on cast bullets, ask it. If we can't answer it, try over at castboolits.gunloads.com. Heck, half of the responses you get will be folks telling you to go ask there anyway! ;)

THR is just one planet in a large galaxy of forums you may want to enjoy. Not trying to be the end-all, be-all for every shooter on every subject.

Fatelvis
January 16, 2012, 09:39 PM
Under what section should I ask cast bullet questions now? Im thinking the reloading section?

Sam1911
January 16, 2012, 10:19 PM
Precisely! I'm sorry -- I didn't realize that was unclear. Any questions regarding assembling ammo should be directed to the handloading section.

35 Whelen
January 16, 2012, 11:26 PM
At first I thought "Heck yeah!! A cast bullet section would be GREAT!" But then I think the Cast Boolit site should be the "go to" place for cast bullet questions.
I think of THR as a general hunting/shooting site. Like Sam said, there are much better sites for specific topics.
35W

Sam1911
January 17, 2012, 08:21 AM
You say alot at times Sam, without saying alot.Uh...ohh kay. Not sure how I could answer this any more clearly.

BTW, do you cast or reload? Yes, I cast some and yes, I reload something around 10,000 rds. a year.

Sam1911
January 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
Always surprises me when people would rather hear, "NO," then "...and here's why." To each his own, I guess.

I cast a small variety of stuff. Most commonly .452 SWCs and .58 cal. round balls.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cast boolit section?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!