22lr pocket plinker

PDA

couldbeanyone
January 15, 2012, 12:33 PM
Recommend a DURABLE 22lr pocket sized plinking gun. Tired of having my plinkers break on me. I am looking for something that might actually last 50,000 rounds. Have had both a Ruger Bearcat (still a little big) and a NAA mini both break in less than a thousand rounds. Also had a Walther tph that kept loosing its double action ability.

If you enjoyed reading about "22lr pocket plinker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GEM
January 15, 2012, 12:34 PM
The small semis are quite the jammers.

Interested in a revolver:

SW 63 and Ruger LCR-22.

Taurus - yeah, but I'm not a fan. A model 94 I had - :barf:

jon86
January 15, 2012, 12:52 PM
I don't have either of the guns that I'm going to recommend. But if I were looking for a pocket 22lr, I'd take a serious look at the smith 317 and the ruger LCR in 22lr. I would probably go with the smith and wesson, partly because I like hammers on 22lr revolvers.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/26989/Smith+%26+Wesson+317+.22+LR+1-78%22+Airlite

BCRider
January 15, 2012, 01:52 PM
Have had both a Ruger Bearcat (still a little big) and a NAA mini both break in less than a thousand rounds.

WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING TO THEM ? ! ? ! ? ! There's just no way that these guns will break down that soon unless you've had the worst possible luck of anybody on the planet! Are they being exposed to harsh weather and then you don't clean and oil them or is it something else? Until you figure this out I really don't think there's anything at all that anyone could suggest which would meet your needs if those guns aren't surviving.

couldbeanyone
January 15, 2012, 02:18 PM
Just bad luck I guess. I shoot my guns a lot. I will usually shoot at least 500 rounds each time I go shooting. My guns are not exposed to abuse, most of my guns aren't even shot rapid fire. The most exposure to the elements they get is a ride in my pocket. They do get cleaned and oiled.

A little flat spring attached to the hammer (I think) on the bearcat failed, making cylinder lock up. Don't know what is wrong with the mini as it hasn't been back to NAA yet.

Get this, I also have had a Ruger Single Six fail in less than a thousand rounds. Same symptoms as the bearcat, but was a broken piece in the hammer mechanism. It wasn't fanned or even rapid fired.:(

TennJed
January 15, 2012, 02:49 PM
Well I don't know if anyone can recommend a more durable 22lr than the Ruger Single Six. Did you send the 2 rugers back to them? What did they say

couldbeanyone
January 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
The Single Six had a broken hammer plunger. The Bearcat had a small flat spring fail in the trigger hammer mechanism. I don't remember its name.

Clipper
January 15, 2012, 03:54 PM
Try a phoenix HP-22. Seriously. Cheap POS looking little gun, but ACCURATE with the 5" barrel, and stone simple. I have always had Rugers and S&Ws, but bought this one for my wife to take her CPL class (.380 is expensive), and was amazed at the accuracy! After she shot a bunch of quarter-sized 10 round groups at 7 yards, I loaded the two (10 round) mags up and proceded to punch the three thumbtacks through the backboard, one handed. I was getting lots of edge hits, but you gotta hit those tacks square in the center to drive 'em through that OSB...Still had a couple rounds left, too.

Gun, 3" & 5" barrels, two mags, locking mag, cleaning kit all in a locking blow-molded case, under $200.00.

Onmilo
January 15, 2012, 04:36 PM
Walther PPK or even smaller TPH will serve well and last as long as you want to keep it.
The price is high and the quality makes the money well spent.

Since you had a TPH that went south on you, you probably don't want to spend money on something you don't have confidence in So I would suggest locating one of these S&W 2214 "Sportsman" pocket .22s
I have owned mine for years and fired thousands of rounds through the gun, it has been reliable and suprisingly accurate for a small pistol.
They are now discontinued and spare magazines can be a challenge to locate but the standard Model 41 10 and 12 shot magazines will fit and function fine though they do project from the bottom a little bit.
These guns can be found and bought for less than $250 with some searching. HTH
http://www.fototime.com/BCD8D40DC9F7743/standard.jpg

couldbeanyone
January 15, 2012, 06:00 PM
Onmilo, thanks for the input. I have seen one of those before. I was leery of it as I never new anyone who owned one. This is the kind of first hand input I am looking for. I really liked the looks and feel of the one I saw. I think I may just start looking for one. Thanks again.

22-rimfire
January 15, 2012, 07:29 PM
Pocket plinkers... S&W M317, SW M63 (3"), Ruger LCR-22, and I guess the Taurus M94. Of those, I recommend both the Ruger LCR-22 and S&W M63.

I don't recommentd any of the tiny semi-auto 22 pistols, but I am very interested in the new Ruger SR22 which is a little larger than "pocket sized". If Ruger comes out with a 22 version of the LCP, I might look at it as well.

THe Dove
January 15, 2012, 07:44 PM
You got bad luck with the Bearcat amigo...... I've shot over 5,000 rounds each through 3 different Bearcats and never had a problem with any of them.... I love them.

The Dove

MedWheeler
January 15, 2012, 09:24 PM
Bersa/Firestorm in .22...?

rcmodel
January 15, 2012, 09:31 PM
A little flat spring attached to the hammer (I think) on the bearcat failedThere are no flat springs in any model Ruger Single-Action..

And I agree with the others.

If you can break a Ruger Single-Action or two in less then 1,000 rounds?

You probably should find another hobby.

Shooting just isn't gonna work out for you.

rc

couldbeanyone
January 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
rcmodel,
There is a piece of flat spring steel in a Ruger Bearcat attached to the side of (I think) the cylinder bolt. It is what moves the cylinder bolt to disengage the cylinder allowing the cylinder to turn. This is what broke.
Neither Ruger was fanned or rapid fired in any way.

MCgunner
January 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
Ruger just introed a .22 auto that's quite small, probably fit a large pocket. I'm thinkin' about one, called a "SR22 Pistol". I've got a little Rossi that shoots fantastic and has seen many thousands of rounds, but it's a 4" J frame S&W 63 type gun in stainless. It's a bit much for a pocket. I think you'll be looking at autos like the new Ruger or perhaps a Bersa or some such which are plinking accurate in a small blow back pistol.

But, if you broke a Bearcat, you must be hellatough on handguns. :rolleyes: It BROKE, though, right? It didn't wear out? A broken spring or part can be fixed. I wouldn't worry a whole lot about that sort of thing, personally.

BCRider
January 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
Couldbe' I say this in mostly in jest but it really seems like you're one of those rare folks that just can't wear a watch or carry a cell phone around because something about their "aura" just makes stuff fail all the time. Up to now I've never heard of this same "curse" affecting guns.... :D

I've had excellent luck with my S&W 422, which is the bigger of the two in the picture in Onmilo's post. I've go up somewhere around 3 or 4 thousand rounds through it and all it ever asks for is an occasional cleaning. And I do mean occasional. .... but in your case... :D

I know you're not big on Ruger just now as a result of your Bearcat and Single Six. But they DO have two really nice compact revolvers coming out. One is the brand new on the shelf SP101 8 shot .22 with a 4.2 inch barrel. The other is the very compact LCR in .22. But that one has just been announced and I believe it hasn't quite shipped out to dealers yet.

For semis I really don't know what to suggest.

22-rimfire
January 15, 2012, 10:38 PM
The LCR-22's are at the dealers now. Got one. Have not seen a SR22 yet, but I suspect they will be arriving very shortly to many dealers shelves.

MCgunner
January 15, 2012, 10:39 PM
The SP101 isn't in any way compact, but it is STRONG, WAY strong for .22 and might be the least likely gun to break for someone like the OP. :D

Viper225
January 15, 2012, 10:51 PM
I also have an LCR 22. I Like It.

Hoppes Love Potion
January 15, 2012, 11:46 PM
Time to try destroying some of the better double actions, then. I'd start with Ruger SP-101, Ruger LCR-22, and S&W M63.

788Ham
January 16, 2012, 12:35 AM
"Twice" you've mentioned fanning or rapid fire, why? That is about the only way I can think of to mess a Ruger revolver up! Why would any person bring that word into the conversation, "Fanning"? Guilty conscience maybe?

Ben86
January 16, 2012, 01:10 AM
Take a look at the new Ruger SR22. It's a little bit big for pocket, but could work and should have the quality you seek.

HGM22
January 16, 2012, 01:44 AM
You could always just get the guns fixed and continue using them.

The Phoenix HP22 is a small little pistol, but I'm not sure how durable it is (ZAMAK frame I believe). Apparantly they have a no questions asked life time warranty though.

I have no personal experience with it but maybe the Bersa Firestorm? There's also those small Beretta (and I think Taurus) tip up barrels. Maybe a .22 conversion kit is for you? I think you can get one for the Kel-tec guns now. Is size or durability more of the concern?

chrome_austex
January 16, 2012, 10:31 AM
Bersa/Firestorm in .22...?
I've got a Bersa 22lr, and its a robust, practical, accurate little plinker.

Ruger has a bunch of options as well.

murf
January 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
cba,

on the bearcat issue, check and see if the BASE PIN has moved forward in the frame. this could prevent the hammer from being cocked.

murf

Ghost Tracker
January 16, 2012, 04:14 PM
Dang, you've broken two notoriously rugged guns. If you're not completely soured on Rugers, I agree with some previous posts & suggest you try the new .22 LCR. If you break it, take up bowling (but be gentle with the equipment).

BCRider
January 16, 2012, 04:17 PM
If you break it, take up bowling (but be gentle with the equipment).

I was thinking more along the line of sand castle building.... :D

Sorry CBA, the devil made me say that.... :D

rodinal220
January 16, 2012, 06:35 PM
Another vote for the S&W 2214.

Confederate
January 17, 2012, 12:06 AM
I don't think any pocket pistol will go 50,000 rounds, but pocket guns aren't usually used for plinking. Ruger certainly has a reputation for making durable pistols, but their LCR and LCP guns have not been adequately proven as yet. I think you should look carefully at the LCR, Ruger's revolver. They have excellent actions as well.

If you can buy a good used Beretta 70S, that's an outstanding pistol. I had mine hard chromed by Mahovsky's refinishing (http://www.mahovskysmetalife.com/Metalife%20Finish%20Page%202.htm). (Great pricing, too--plugola!)

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh198/jriler/Beretta70S_2.jpg

gazpacho
January 17, 2012, 02:30 AM
Bond Arms Derringer. That's the only thing I can think of that would be more rugged.

There are ways to shoot it with reasonable accuracy, but it's gonna take a LONG time to shoot 500 rounds thru it.

BCRider
January 17, 2012, 03:24 PM
WOW! Confederate, that is a great looking small gun ! ! ! ! I wish I were able to buy such a thing in .22LR or .308. Sadly such guns fall into our Prohibited category so they can't be imported and only the folks that have been long time gun owners can own such guns of this sort that were already in the country at the passing of the law back in '95.

I think you're underestimating the life span of even a small gun though. With the lower recoil impulse there's no reason at all why the metals in such guns won't easily last just as long as their bigger brothers in heavier calibers. That Beretta of yours should easily last as long as a 92fs with no greater number of usual parts replacements.

The bigger issue is that many small "mouse" guns are NOT made with the same quality of metals as their bigger brothers. But I'd expect companies such as Beretta would not stoop that low.

Oddly enough .22's are so popular that even many of the smaller mouse size or near mouse size guns from the major makers are again made from materials that will live to meet the 50K lifespan IMO. For example that little 2214 noted earlier which is based on the 422 and 2206.

couldbeanyone
January 17, 2012, 09:37 PM
Confederate,

WOW, is right, WOW. That Beretta is gorgeous in hard chrome. Anybody know what is a fair price for one of these? How much to hard chrome?

BCRider
January 17, 2012, 10:07 PM
And on top of it all hard chroming should ensure an even LONGER life for the chromed parts. On the other hand the non chromed barrel may wear out after up around 100000 rounds... :D

A guy locally had a CZ75b hard chromed and it has the same nice "dot'y" texture that Confederate's gun has. It's a nice look to my mind. The slide and frame rails had to be relieved by a couple of thou to make room for the coming chrome. The rails were then honed by some means to dress the chrome and give a smoother sliding surface but with enough of the surface texture dimples remaining to provide literally hundreds or thousands of little oil reservoirs in the surface of the rails.

Of course the amount of prep of this sort is dependent on the chrome buildup. You'd want to work with your plater on such things and get their ideas.

igousigloo
January 17, 2012, 10:18 PM
might try a pocket rocket but I am not sure how long the rubberbands are guaranteed for!

usp9
January 18, 2012, 08:23 AM
The small pocketable .22s I've had and recommend include the;
Walther PPK/S - very nice, high quality, high price.
Walther TPH - loved it but you had a bad experience.
Beretta 948 - very nice gun, tiny sights but accurate.
Daewoo DP52 - the best, hard to find but worth the money.
Bersa T22 - a compromise of quality versus cost. Good sights.

Any one of these should fit the bill.

Remllez
January 18, 2012, 11:09 AM
Smith and Wesson model 61-3, pocket pistol 6 rounds and fits in the palm of your hand.
The 61 models are under barrel pistols and contrary to popular belief i've never had a malfunction in a thousand rounds or so. Check out Gun Broker I think you'll like what you see!

Coyote3855
January 18, 2012, 12:58 PM
If it weren't for bad luck, you wouldn't have any. I have old model Single Six and Bearcat. I bought the SS in 1960. It was carried daily on our ranch in harsh conditions, still going strong. I won't hazard a guess on how many rounds, but many thousands The Bearcat is newer to me, but probably 10,000 rounds without a problem. I did wear out a pair of .45 Ruger Vaqueros. The hammer plunger spring broke on both after 10 years of heavy use in Cowboy Action competition. Sounds like the same problem as your SS, maybe.

I am not questioning your credibility, but it seems very strange that two Rugers would go south after 1000 rounds. I also have an NAA mini, no problems with it either.

Dnaltrop
January 19, 2012, 06:07 PM
Good thread with good timing...

My eldest is turning 10 in March, and has told me bluntly that she doesn't want a rifle for her birthday, so instead It's time to buy a .22 pistol for myself that I'll transfer to her when she shows me her CHL card as an adult ( I'm going to pay for it of course!)

I feel the thread regarding wives/girlfriends applies, MOSTLY when buying a gun for a child who has moved from a bolt action and light semi-auto .22 rifles, but you have to herd them to a few purpose specific guns, suitable for proper education. Meaning she needs to learn how to manipulate a hammer, and (probably) a thumb safety, and develop the strength to do so safely.

The Semi auto Rugers were a bit heavy for her, as was the single six. (she should tough it out and get stronger honestly) but the Bersa .22 was about right for her grip. She didn't like the Bearcats on touch alone.

I prefer a heavy revolver for myself, but I'm leaning towards the Bersa for her honestly, as long as it's comfortable to her, and is hammer-operated I'll be Ok with it as long as she's still enjoying trips to the range with me. Nice to see a few good words on that pistol.

She can buy simpler guns when she's an adult herself.

Manny
January 19, 2012, 06:19 PM
No direct experiance with one yet, but I plan on buying a Ruger LCR 22 as soon as I can scare up the funds. I understand Ruger has run one of the LCR's in .38 for over 10,000 rounds so I'm guessing 50k out of the rimfire should be well within the realm of possibility.

tubeshooter
January 19, 2012, 10:12 PM
I have one of the Bersa .22s, and it's a joy to shoot. Just hope you don't get one that's too finicky (mine doesn't seem to be).

I heard they had a run of tight bores in the last year or so, but I think that issue has been cleared up.

Seems like almost all of them like CCI Mini Mags, so you can pretty much count on those. Most like Blazers, too. They like to be run hot, evidently. Strangely, mine loves Remington Golden Bullet. Some guns are reported to "break in" and like ammo they didn't after awhile.

Ben86
January 19, 2012, 10:34 PM
Confederate,

That is one of the finest looking pocket pistols I've ever seen. Wow! What a beauty.

Jim PHL
January 19, 2012, 11:03 PM
I recently bought a Beretta "Bobcat" model 21a. It's .22lr, a fun plinker and fits in a pocket.

exavid
January 20, 2012, 02:13 AM
I'm looking for a Ruger SR22P. My LGS got in five of them and sold them in two days before I could see one. They have 11 more coming so I hope to get a look at one next week. Going by pictures and a couple of reviews they look pretty good and are a lot smaller and lighter than my Buckmark.
http://gunblast.com/Ruger-SR22P.htm

woad_yurt
February 12, 2012, 10:38 PM
How about an old H&R? There are scads of 'em on Gunbroker for cheap and they're built like an old Buick. All of the following are from the early '50s. I have a 6" 922 that I got for $50 but it's so ugly I never thought about photos. It has not one spec of bluing left but, still, it works as well as the rest, which is to say, perfectly.

$100 H&R 922 snubbie:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee150/woad_yurt/HR92225.jpg

$59 4" H&R 922:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee150/woad_yurt/HR92240201.jpg

$200 H&R 922 Camper:

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee150/woad_yurt/HR9224rt01.jpg

Dr_B
February 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
As someone already posted, the S & W 2213 or 2214 are good options. I've had one of each in the past and they were excellent small .22's.

aaronu
February 12, 2012, 11:15 PM
I guess my definition of pocket gun is a bit different. I wouldn't consider a Bearcat a pocket gun.

I second the suggestion of a Beretta Bobcat 21A. Very pocket friendly and well made.

If you want something a bit larger, what about some of the older .22 semiautos? I have a 4" barrel High Standard that never seems to stop, and it is super easy to field strip.

As for NAA -- I like them quite a bit and have owned one for years now. When it was a year or so old, the mainspring broke and needed replacing. Also the cylinder can get out of time and bind up the gun when you try to cock the hammer. On the other hand my experience with the NAA Guardians is that they are drop dead reliable. Too bad there is no .22LR Guardian.

:evil:

PT92
April 30, 2012, 12:27 AM
Try a phoenix HP-22. Seriously. Cheap POS looking little gun, but ACCURATE with the 5" barrel, and stone simple. I have always had Rugers and S&Ws, but bought this one for my wife to take her CPL class (.380 is expensive), and was amazed at the accuracy! After she shot a bunch of quarter-sized 10 round groups at 7 yards, I loaded the two (10 round) mags up and proceded to punch the three thumbtacks through the backboard, one handed. I was getting lots of edge hits, but you gotta hit those tacks square in the center to drive 'em through that OSB...Still had a couple rounds left, too.

Gun, 3" & 5" barrels, two mags, locking mag, cleaning kit all in a locking blow-molded case, under $200.00.

I gotta tell you I agree with this :o. For a sub-$200 pistol, you can't beat it (though I do like the PT-22/25's as well). The little Phoenix rocks (good review for what it's worth in guntests ragazine as well).

-Cheers

Kiln
April 30, 2012, 01:24 AM
The Phoenix HP22 is a decent little pocket gun but will not hold up to frequent use. Mine cracked the frame on the left side of the mag well about 3k-3.5k rounds in. I never changed the flimsy recoil spring though, it probably would have lasted longer if I had.

Props to Phoenix's service though, I sent in the HP22 and they sent me a brand new one with an extra magazine.

Ben86
May 1, 2012, 01:36 PM
Props to Phoenix's service though, I sent in the HP22 and they sent me a brand new one with an extra magazine.

Phoenix has a customer service department? I'm pleasantly surprised.

SwampWolf
May 1, 2012, 03:34 PM
"Twice" you've mentioned fanning or rapid fire, why? That is about the only way I can think of to dick a Ruger revolver up! Why would any person bring that word into the conversation, "Fanning"? Guilty conscience maybe?

I don't think it's fair to accuse the op of doing something just because he said he didn't, even if he did introduce the issue unprompted. If he claims he didn't fan the revolvers or shoot them rapid fire (which would be awfully hard to do with an NAA revolver, at least, in the first place), until proven otherwise, he didn't.
My recommendation will probably prove unpopular with the op given his experience but it is that, if he still wants to get the most durable and reliable .22rf revolver extant, he get another Ruger Single Six. Lightening generally doesn't strike the same place twice and I think that's what got him the first time. This time, just don't fan it...:evil:

Kiln
May 1, 2012, 05:15 PM
Phoenix has a customer service department? I'm pleasantly surprised.
They're hard to get ahold of but when you actually do they're friendly and seem eager to help. I've gotten two different people (a woman when I called for warranty work and a guy when I called to order the range barrel and mag) and both were great.

whetrock
May 1, 2012, 09:43 PM
IMO the ultimate lightweight plinking pistol would be the S&W 317. I've seen some that have a ten shot cylinder instead of the typical 8 shot I personally think that a DA rimfire revolver with a ten shot capacity would be the bee's knees. With that being said I'd like one with at least a 4 inch barrel and preferably a 6 inch but the longest I've seen is 3 and that's just a tad bit to short for me.

mordechaianiliewicz
May 1, 2012, 10:43 PM
Walther P22.... Buy it now, thank me later.

Kiln
May 2, 2012, 02:18 AM
Walther P22.... Buy it now, thank me later.
Avoid it now, thank me later.

If I had it to do over I wouldn't have a P22 in my cabinet right now.

Pete D.
May 2, 2012, 01:43 PM
Pocket plinker? Quality gun?
S&W 317 snub nose.
I have had mine for years....never a problem
Now....on the other hand....the pretty Beretta Bobcat....some folks have had good luck with them but mine was the most unreliable handgun I have owned.
Pete

Pilot
May 2, 2012, 01:47 PM
The Ruger SR22 semi-auto sounds perfect for this use.

GCBurner
May 2, 2012, 01:52 PM
I've carried an Iver Johnson TP-22 in my pocket for a lot of hiking and fishing trips. It's a Walther PPK look-alike, and works pretty reliably, if you keep it clean of pocket lint. The finish on mine is pretty well worn, but it's free from rust, and the fixed barrel makes it more accurate that I expected, even with the tiny sights.
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4625027489202508&id=e4455903ba14a618149cb972670a2fcf
(Not my personal gun, just a generic pic from Bing.)

jmorris
May 2, 2012, 02:11 PM
Just bad luck I guess. I shoot my guns a lot. I will usually shoot at least 500 rounds each time I go shooting 500 rounds with a NNA mini revo, you must have thumbs of steel.

MCgunner
May 2, 2012, 11:40 PM
Interesting to read my post back in January, had just heard of the gun. I've got over 1K through it now and it feeds about anything. It likes Federal bulk pack best, 2" 25 yard groups. EXCELLENT and I highly recommend this pistol for this use.

http://i44.tinypic.com/xt07o.jpg

shiftyer1
May 3, 2012, 03:10 AM
I think you have rotten luck.....I have potmetal 70's junk thats seen a whole lot more rounds than that thru them. And they were bought used!

Kiln
May 3, 2012, 04:36 AM
I think you have rotten luck.....I have potmetal 70's junk thats seen a whole lot more rounds than that thru them. And they were bought used!
Which model/models? I'm guilty of owning several cheap "junk" guns myself.

j1
May 3, 2012, 09:59 AM
No one has mentioned the Beretta Bobcat. The 22 LR model has been both small and trouble free for quite a few years. Do not use HP or really cheap ammo. Blazer round nose HS has given no problems so far.

Koada
May 3, 2012, 03:40 PM
SR22, fits fine in my cargo shorts and a very reliable firearm...and accurate...If I had to do it again...SR22...I just really enjoy this pistol :)

Ben86
May 4, 2012, 01:29 AM
SR22, fits fine in my cargo shorts and a very reliable firearm...and accurate...If I had to do it again...SR22...I just really enjoy this pistol

I would have got one myself if I didn't want a .22 trainer for my S&W M&P9 (got the M&P22). The SR22 is a super cool little gun, and one of the few that from most accounts will eat anything. There's not many .22 pistols of the "defensive" style that aren't picky about ammo. (the S&W M&P22 is one of them) The SR22 would be my top choice for a small .22 pistol as well.

Needles
May 4, 2012, 02:04 AM
I'd have to go with Onmilo in post #9. I think mine is a 422. (Cheaper version?) Dead-on accurate, light. Shoots as well as my Ruger MKII, but maybe more reliable. The Ruger has jammed a time or two; the S&W has never jammed.

j1
May 4, 2012, 09:38 AM
Had to read the whole post to make sure no one mentioned it, but how about a Beretta Bobcat. Have had one for several years and it fits in the front pocket of my jeans easily and just loves Blazer round nose hi speed ammo. Never had a problem shooting that. Tends not to like HP too much or the big bulk boxes of cheap ammo. Seems that you get what you pay for.

jotjackson
May 4, 2012, 09:59 AM
Ruger SR22-Great .22 pistol. Eats everything I have feed it so far. Very accurate also....

PT92
May 4, 2012, 10:05 AM
Had to read the whole post to make sure no one mentioned it, but how about a Beretta Bobcat. Have had one for several years and it fits in the front pocket of my jeans easily and just loves Blazer round nose hi speed ammo. Never had a problem shooting that. Tends not to like HP too much or the big bulk boxes of cheap ammo. Seems that you get what you pay for.
Yeah--I have a few Beretta pocket pistols and they can be quite finicky about ammo as you mentioned. Like many other pistols, once you find the load it likes, she will run reliably all day long.

-Cheers

JFISC
May 4, 2012, 04:41 PM
How about a Bersa 22LR? I dedicated a whole blog to 22lr pocket pistols=) Read some reviews and see what you think. 22longrifle.blogspot.com

Moptop
May 4, 2012, 05:27 PM
139 bucks as she sits. The best operating pocket pistol I have ever owned. The thing just doesn't jam and with a lifetime warranty you just can't go wrong here.

eastbank
May 4, 2012, 06:18 PM
if you could fine a used model 34 S&W .22. years ago i had a S&W model 34 kit revolver with a 2 inch barrel that i carried for years in my hip pocket, i can,t say for sure how many rounds went down the tube,1000,s for sure. the finish was just about gone when i gave it to my younger brother, after his death i tried to buy it from his wife but she gave it to their son, i,m glad thats were it went and it still is shooting. eastbank.

MCgunner
May 4, 2012, 09:08 PM
I have a Phoenix Arms HP22. Even got the 5" barrel/finger extended grip for it. It is NOT built to be shot much. I have something over 3000 rounds in it and have had a slide break, had it peen/batter the frame to the point I had to take a dremel to it, but it's working again. The recoil springs are off a ball point pen, worthless crap of a spring, wears out in about 500 rounds. I have to keep buying replacements, but started calling Phoenix Arms for 'em recently. They do have decent customer service, God knows I oughta know. This is the gun I've replaced with the far superior Ruger SR22. It's well worth the extra money over that Zamak wonder. :rolleyes: And, I mean, if the OP broke a friggin' RUGER single action revolver inside of 50 rounds, I doubt he'll get two rounds out of the HP22 without trouble. :rolleyes:

I will say, the HP22 is pretty accurate. I'm not sure HOW it's that accurate, barrel wobbles in the frame like the clapper in a bell, but it is. It'll shoot 3" 25 yard groups, about an inch less accurate than my Ruger.

If I weren't mechanically inclined, I'd have given up on that HP22 a long time ago. It was worth messing with for its accuracy, but now I've got something a whole heck of a lot better. :D

PT92
May 4, 2012, 09:47 PM
How about a Bersa 22LR? I dedicated a whole blog to 22lr pocket pistols=) Read some reviews and see what you think. 22longrifle.blogspot.com
Agreed--If I were looking for a more "mid-size" .22lr the Bersa would definitely be in the running, no doubt (but I don't think I would include it in the OP Subject of "Pocket-Plinker). In fact, I see a lot of posts here regarding "full-size" .22lr guns and I don't think that is what this OP is pertaining to? I have been guilty of this in the past as it's so easy to veer...

-Cheers

PT92
May 4, 2012, 09:50 PM
139 bucks as she sits. The best operating pocket pistol I have ever owned. The thing just doesn't jam and with a lifetime warranty you just can't go wrong here.

http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/prestonjjrtr/Smileys/up_2.gifWhat he said.

DarKnlght
May 5, 2012, 01:19 AM
Just bought an SR22 today and I love it. Bought some winchester hi velocity rounds, and shot them with out problem. My buddy bought a Mosquito and it only likes the CCI's. Great little gun and it fits fairly well in my pocket. Not as small as the S&W Bodyguard, but close.

larryh1108
May 5, 2012, 07:48 AM
Another vote for the HP22a. Keep fresh recoil springs in it and it just keeps running. If something fails their CS will replace it. All for $150 or so. The frame cracking issue is actually the mag well and will not be an issue but they will send a new frame if it happens and it bothers you. Accurate little sucker too.

http://i342.photobucket.com/albums/o435/larryh1108/HP22/HP22left1.jpg

Kiln
May 7, 2012, 04:06 AM
Anybody having problems with the SR22 pistols? I've seen alot of stories about failures around 1500 rounds.

Even my HP22 went about double that before cracking the frame...and the gun still worked when I sent it in. My OCD was driving me nuts having a little hairline crack running a quarter inch down the mag well.

PT92
May 7, 2012, 08:45 AM
Anybody having problems with the SR22 pistols? I've seen alot of stories about failures around 1500 rounds.

Even my HP22 went about double that before cracking the frame...and the gun still worked when I sent it in. My OCD was driving me nuts having a little hairline crack running a quarter inch down the mag well.
Remember that the OP is relative to Pocket .22lr pistols.

Off-topic I will say that I have read of that specific problem for the SR model but the rental at my local range has seen thousands of rounds the owner says absent issues so far--of course their classic Mark model line seems impervious to such issues (think I will still get one of these as they are quite durable/affordable).

But in general, the theme seems to be that the full-size .22lr pistols that use the Zamak style slides will see some sort of problem after several 1ks of rounds downrange. The problem is, Smith, Umarex, SIG/GSG, etc. all seem to use the non-steel slides. The only ones I know of that don't are the CZ, RIA 1911-22 and perhaps a couple of other ones and they are $600 guns for a .22lr plinker which I ain't gonna do if you will (if money is no issue go for it).

Long story short, I took the plunge with the GSG 1911-22 and 2k rounds thereafter I am as of now a happy camper (typing with crossed toes...).

However and returning to the OP, for pocket pistols I really don't care as much because they are so cheap--that being said, my PT-22/25, Beretta 21, and now Phoenix HP22 (just got it so I can't really speak personally regarding it but have shot my buddies several hundred times just fine) all have been fun 1k per year type little plinkers--yet I really got them for BUG type work also (I got my GSG 1911-22 for the 5-10K per year plinker)

-Cheers

Kiln
May 7, 2012, 05:15 PM
and now Phoenix HP22 (just got it so I can't really speak personally regarding it but have shot my buddies several hundred times just fine)
Ouch. :neener:

PT92
May 7, 2012, 06:15 PM
Ouch. :neener:
I don't follow?:confused:

Carl N. Brown
May 7, 2012, 07:26 PM
^ If he's shot his buddy's gun several hundred times just fine that would be OK, but shooting his buddies several hundred times is ouch for his buddies.

bannockburn
May 7, 2012, 07:40 PM
I realize that it's more of a medium frame size gun than a small pocket auto, but my Beretta Model 70S has been a fantastic plinker for over 20 years. This gun has fired any and all .22LR ammo with complete reliability while turning in some fairly decent accuracy as well.

PT92
May 7, 2012, 08:06 PM
^ If he's shot his buddy's gun several hundred times just fine that would be OK, but shooting his buddies several hundred times is ouch for his buddies.
I guess I have "dumb-blonde" syndrome today (now that I re-read the syntax, I get!):)

-Cheers

*Edited to add: No offense intended to dumb-blondes;)...

MCgunner
May 7, 2012, 09:52 PM
"Pocket size" is relative. The SR22 rides well in the same pocket that my Kel Tec P11 9x19 rides in, same pocket holster, number 4 Blackhawk which today holds my Taurus 85UL revolver in a pocket. The SR22 is 17 ounces unloaded, the Kel Tec 14, but loaded with 11 rounds of 115JHP, the KT outweighs the fully loaded SR22.

I choose my pants for pocket size. My faves are Wrangler Cargos and if I have to go a little more upscale, Dockers. The Wranglers are nice because when i sit down, the gun falls down behind the cargo pocket which breaks any outline of the gun. Another thing I like about 'em, the opening of the pocket is wide enough to make draw from a seated position fairly easy and fast. Some pants I can't say that about, dockers for one. I'm retired and was a technical type, never had to wear a business suit except for weddings and funerals.

Outdoors, fishing, I almost always wear the Wrangler Cargo Jeans, usually the camos. I have other ones of other materials that are a little dressier, but I fish a lot and this is what I normally wear. FOR ME, the SR22 is a fine pocket sized auto. I own, as I stated, the Phoenix Arms HP22, but it's a POS compared to the Ruger, just facts. Zamak will crack .... and wear and that's not just a rhyme. It doesn't take long, either, if you do much shooting with the thing. Keeping up with all the problems and the recoil springs over the years just ain't right.

Before the Ruger came out, i just about bit on a Bersa, nice little autos and pretty accurate, at least as accurate as the HP22. But, the Ruger out shoots the HP22 and is a LOT lighter in a pocket. Zamak rivals lead for weight...and structural strength. :rolleyes: That HP22 is well over 20 ounces, has to be, feels like a brick compared to the SR22. Weight is as much a consideration to ME in a pocket pistol.

Now, if I really wanna go small, I ALWAYS have my little NAA .22 mini revolver riding weak side as a back up. It's so small and only 5 ounces, though the folding holster/grip probably runs that up an ounce or two, I mean, why leave it at home? I have used it to dispatch vermin in the past. It's surprisingly accurate out to 15 yards. Even at 25 yards, I can roll 2 (or 3 if I'm lucky) eight inch plates off hand at 25 with it out of a five shot cylinder. It's rather ammo picky for this sort of accuracy, though, but it turned out to really like Federal bulk pack. I had to file the front sight down to get it to POA with the stuff, though.

Now, I have a NAA Black Widow in .22 mag that shoots almost as good at 25 yards as that Phoenix Arms HP22 and to POA with Hornady PD ammo and CCI maximag. I've not yet tried any Speer Gold Dot in it as this ammo is so new, I haven't found any, yet. NAA makes a couple of guns in what I'd class as the "plinker" type, the Mini Master and the Earl. I've been tempted by the Mini Master, put a folding grip on it, stuff it in a pocket. 4" barrel keeps it from being nearly as compact as the Black Widow, but it might be pretty danged accurate. I have never fired one, though, so I can't really say. I know the Black Widow can compete with the HP22 for accuracy. The Beretta and Taurus tip up .22s I have never been impressed with for accuracy. I had a Beretta, jammamatic and when it WOULD fire, it was lucky to hit paper at 25 yards. Not plinker grade accuracy for ME, but YMMV. I do like to be able to hit something once in a while smaller than a refrigerator at 10 yards.

I hadn't mentioned the NAAs in this thread as it's about pistols, not revolvers, but they should be considered if you have small pockets, especially the Black Widow and Mini Master/Earl. The Black Widow and the Mini Master have Novak sights on 'em which REALLY helps. The Earl, with its big fixed grip, might not really be in the pocket class. The Black Widow surely is with a folding grip and its 2" barrel.

MCgunner
May 7, 2012, 10:02 PM
I hadn't mentioned the NAAs in this thread as it's about pistols

Confusion, was no distinction by the OP pistol vs revolver. :D

FM12
May 8, 2012, 03:57 AM
Charter arms 22 pathfinder

Nasty
December 2, 2012, 08:39 AM
I'll second some of what MCgunner said...I use a Mini Master lr/Mag with the holster grip as a plinker/pot gun when hiking/camping and it is always worth it's weight as such.

krupparms
December 2, 2012, 12:37 PM
I own both the BlackWidow &the Earl w/ 3"blr. Both in .22mag.I got them as BUGS, but found they are great for plinking. I got the .22lr cylinders so I could use the .22lr.for plinking . Put a B.W. grip on the Earl & you get a nice pocket pistol. JMO. Good luck with your choice. :)

weblance
December 2, 2012, 04:11 PM
I didnt see a recommendation for the Taurus POLY PT-22. Its not the old all metal PT-22, its the new redesigned POLY version. It feeds everything I have loaded into it. Its accurate, and well made. Has better sights than the Beretta Bobcat. My only complaint is, its DAO. Holds an extra rouind over the Beretta, and is $100 less.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb97/weblance/CCWPics040fixedMedium.jpg

MCgunner
December 2, 2012, 04:23 PM
deleted for redundancy

MCgunner
December 2, 2012, 04:26 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/9pqmok.jpg

PT92
December 2, 2012, 05:07 PM
I didnt see a recommendation for the Taurus POLY PT-22. Its not the old all metal PT-22, its the new redesigned POLY version. It feeds everything I have loaded into it. Its accurate, and well made. Has better sights than the Beretta Bobcat. My only complaint is, its DAO. Holds an extra rouind over the Beretta, and is $100 less.

I have seen this spoken highly of in various other threads. I have to get one of them and see if it's that much better than the older design.

http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt163/markewall/happy_holidays_Animated.gif

almherdfan
December 2, 2012, 05:27 PM
I recently added both the Ruger SR-22 and Taurus PLY-22 to my very modest collection. I am very happy with both (and have pocket carried both). I had the Phoenix Arms 22. It was pretty accurate and nice to shoot (as long as the recoil spring was fresh).

The Ruger is the best small/light 22LR I've owned/shot.

MCgunner
December 2, 2012, 06:22 PM
I recently added both the Ruger SR-22 and Taurus PLY-22 to my very modest collection. I am very happy with both (and have pocket carried both). I had the Phoenix Arms 22. It was pretty accurate and nice to shoot (as long as the recoil spring was fresh).

The Ruger is the best small/light 22LR I've owned/shot.

I'll probably end up with a Poly, too. They're just too danged affordable at Academy not to get one. :D Can't have too many .22s.

Been a while, my lasts post were redundant, sorry. Didn't realize I'd already posted on this.

Carne Frio
December 2, 2012, 08:29 PM
I have a German Walther TPH that is
very reliable with CCI Minimags. It also
does well with Stingers, but the recoil
is more.

If you enjoyed reading about "22lr pocket plinker" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!