Designing a workstation

PDA

vandusbp
January 15, 2012, 07:55 PM
Hi all,

I'm a design student at the University of Cincinnati, and for a case study, hope to design a workstation appropriate for gun repair and smithing.

I do have a personal interest in firearms, although my experience only goes as far as firing at a range and working on gas powered airsoft guns.

I have a survey that I would very much appreciate any of you filling out. It's short - 28 fairly straightforward questions.

There's some space for comments; the things I'd really like to know about are the frustrations you have, the things that always break/get lost, etc. as the ultimate goal here is to make your professional time spent more comfortable and efficient.

If there's anything else you'd like to tell me about, please feel free to give me some feedback here as well.

link to the survey:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NJGQLMV

If you enjoyed reading about "Designing a workstation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
44-henry
January 16, 2012, 09:55 PM
I looked at your survey, but without some more demographic information I don't think you are going to get anything that useful out of it. I am not a professional gunsmith, more of a serious hobbiest but as a university professor I do a lot of research and know something about survey instruments. I would suggest having some people from your school look at it a bit further and than you will want to test its reliability before going further with it.

Regards,

Alex Johnson

vandusbp
January 17, 2012, 01:27 AM
Thanks Alex, I'll run it by my professor.

This survey is supplemental to other more in depth research on my part, but I definitely appreciate your input. If you don't mind, what specific demographic questions do you think the survey lacks?

-Blake

dagger dog
January 18, 2012, 09:31 AM
vandusbp,

See if you can find a copy of Patrick Sweeny's GUNSMITHING RIFLES, it should be avaliable at Barnes and Nobles. There's a chapter in setting up yor shop and it has some plans that involve a steel framed wooden topped work bench.

vandusbp
January 18, 2012, 04:10 PM
Thanks dagger dog, I will definitely give it a look.

I've just updated my survey with a few more important questions. I could use a lot more input, please pass on the survey if you can.

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Designing a workstation" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!